Taking a train to Kansas City at Christmas questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
Kicking around a train trip to Kansas City at Christmas. First, how is transportation there? Places to stay that are convenient to any "attractions"? Never been there so I don't know if it would work out.

The station itself has a number of attractions in it, and it's connected by a pedestrian bridge to Crown Center. That's a mall, but there are also two Starwood hotels there. I've always been picked up by my father, so I can't speak at great length about staying nearby.

Are you looking to do anything in particular?

There is a fair amount to do, but the weather can be quite unpredictable in December in KC (I lived there in the 80's). Basically, prepare for an ice storm, and be thrilled if the weather is actually better than that, which is how the locals live. There are plenty of indoor activities, especially such as Crown Center and around the downtown area (shops, restaurants, theaters, etc.), and of course KC has long had a very lively jazz scene all over town. Don't miss Arthur Bryant's BBQ, or Haywood's, which is not as legendary but possibly even better. Public transport consists of not-great buses, so try to cluster your sightseeing (downtown, Westport, Plaza, Crown Center, etc.). Both the Plaza and Crown Center have great holiday displays, but be prepared for a massive crush of people.

I'd second the idea of checking out Country Club Plaza. Here's a link to the web site for the area:

http://countryclubplaza.com/

At Christmas time, there are carriage rides around the center (horse drawn), and they come with blankets so you can snuggle up. Lots of dining and hotel options also. The decorations are wonderful, many times there is live music on the street when the weather is tolerable. I think it's a great place to visit.

As for Union Station itself, the station was extensively redone a while back, and hosts Science City, a series of science themed exhibits. There is also a railroad exhibit as part of Science City; I think they have a few rail cars and locomotives on display, although I'm not certain if they are open or if you just can walk around them.

Across from the station, there is a WWI memorial (General Pershing, who lead US forces in that war, was a KC native), which was recently redone with new exhibits.

Really, it's a nice trip and I'm sure you'd enjoy it anytime. Just dress for the season, plan your activities in advance where possible, and enjoy yourself.

Check out the Q Hotel for lodging, they pickup and deliver to the train station. The Q is located in the Westport area which is loaded with pubs and restaurants. The Q will take you anywhere in a "3 Mile" distance, we suspect their odometer is broken, as they took us everywhere we wanted to go. While you are there go to Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, KS - they will take you there and pick you up when you are done eating. Hotel perks are breakfast (omelets made to order) and 2 adult beverages (well drinks & draft beer) during the happy hour every evening. This is the go to place for the 2 Joe's while staying in Kansas City.

Q Hotel & Spa Web Page.

The National WWI Museum is just across the street. I also highly recommend the bar over at the Crown Plaza.

Don't forget the Old Black Entertainment District over to the East in the 19th and Vine Area!! The Black Baseball League Museum and the Jazz Hall of Fame are in the same Building, there are some Great Jazz Clubs and the original Arthur Bryants Bar-B-Q Joint is Close by! I'd use a Cab for this)(about a $5 Fare) , the Bus Service is Erratic to this Area ! Also close by to the West is the so called "Arts District", both aren't that far from Union Station!

Union Station 2013.jpgHonestly, the area around Kansas City Union Station has a lot to offer. I have Stayed at the Westin Hotel at Crown Center and enjoyed the view of the station all night. As far as Bar-B-Q, try Jack Stack. It is a short walk over the freight house bridge at Union Station and it a real treat. The is also ice skating at Crown Center if you are into that type of thing. The aforementioned WWI Museum is very well done and don't forget the trip up the Liberty Memorial tower for a great view of the city( remember your camera).

Here a view of the Station during a snow storm. Enjoy.

Thank you for all the ideas. Kansas City is probably getting a snowstorm right now as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back