Taking an earlier connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train2104

OBS Chief
I'm presently booked on 30->178, the guaranteed connection.

If 30 isn't over 70" late, I should be able to make 148 out of WAS. Would it be possible to have the ticket agent in WAS change the tickets so that I can get on that train? Or is the extra charge for doing so the full bucket price at which 148 is selling?

My experience is that nearly every change initially results in the current (usually higher) fare being levied. In some cases, such as changing rooms on the same train, the staff can make the change without adjusting the fare. But in general the computer will replace the original fare with the current fare and the staff will be extremely reluctant to sidestep or override whatever the computer spits out.

IINM it would go to the current bucket on 148.
Never seen anyone put a contraction inside an acronym before.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a sleeping car passenger on the CL you can use the Lounge, the folks in there may be more helpful than the general ticket windows. My last trip through I was changed no charge. That is by no means a slam dunk. If the next out is not heavily sold, and the later train is, they gain the possibility of selling the later seat. This used to be an easy sell to Amtrak and the airlines, not anymore.

My experience is that nearly every change initially results in the current (usually higher) fare being levied. In some cases, such as changing rooms on the same train, the staff can make the change without adjusting the fare. But in general the computer will replace the original fare with the current fare and the staff will be extremely reluctant to sidestep or override whatever the computer spits out.

IINM it would go to the current bucket on 148.
Never seen anyone put a contraction inside an acronym before.
IINM If I'm Not Mistaken. I've seen it here plenty of times.

Looks like I won't need to do this, as the event that possibly would've required me to be in NYP early has been rescheduled yet again.

I guess my luggage will be coming up on 90...I guess another trip to NYP the next day is in order...I wish there were a way to route PGH-NYP baggage via 29 and 48! (is there??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back