Taking the Crescent to Birmingham

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Hey everyone,

I'll be taking #20 up from NOL to BHM this Friday. This will be my first time on the Crescent in several years and will mark my longest-ever run on the line. I'll be flying back to New Orleans in the early evening. Now for a few questions....

1) Is the BHM train station fairly close to the airport? What's the best way to get to the airport from the train station?

2) Are there any good places to eat/things to do near the station?

Thanks for any advice yall can give me. Expect a trip report upon my return to New Orleans. :)

Steve in NOL

I can definitely answer your first question. The Amtrak Station is about 10 miles from the airport and from Downtown Birmingham (unless things have changed in the past 5 years) the best and probably only way to get to the airport is by taxi. The transit system is called MAX but I can't remember if they go out to BHM from the Amtrak Station.

Not too sure about the second question though.

Actually I believe MAX does have a bus to the airport but the schedules may be kind of infrequent. You might want to check their website. I actually thnk I have ridden the bus one time doing that.

As to places to eat, sadly, very few. Best are in hotels, 8 or 9 block walk from the station. There is an Amsouth Bank Center six or seven blocks from the station which may have some eating places.

I have taken the train to BHM for years and have seen downtown BHM deteriate seriously. No one really big retail outltet downtown so far as I can find.

The major downtown area is on the train's right as it stops in the station.

The station has nothing but vending machines.

The main MAX/DART bus station is right next door to the station (to your left as you exit). Usually, a few cabs will be waiting around the Amtrak Station at the normal train arrival times as well. I personally have never taken the bus, but I'd bet they run to the airport. Leave yourself plenty of time, if you have to travel around rush hour, since traffic is usually gridlocked on I-59 northbound between 4:30 and 6:00 PM.

As for things to do downtown, you might try going to the Civil Rights Institute (within walking distance on 16th St and 6th Ave North). You could also walk to the Art Museum (8th Ave North and Richard Arrington Blvd (21 St)). Southside would also be good (take the DART bus to 20th St and 11th Ave South). At Southside, there are several good places to eat and a nice area to walk around. The best views of the city are at Vulcan Park, but you'll need to get a cab.

Bill is right, if you don't go to Southside, your dining options are limited. You can try the food court at the bottom of the AmSouth Harbert Plaza (it's the big building with the pyramid on top), or just walk down Richard Arrington Blvd (21st St) to find a deli. There are a few other delis near City Hall and Linn Park (walk north on 20th and make a left at the park).

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back