Talgo 8 uses

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neroden --

My source is this excellent article -- with maps!

http://tdn.com/news/rail-projects-will-speed-freight-make-more-amtrak-trains-possible/article_9694d143-9262-5526-9992-d1091011a892.html

Rail projects will speed freight, make more Amtrak trains possible October 17, 2015 8:00 pm • By Tom Paulu

...The work will result in fewer late trains — and two more northbound and southbound trains a day, according to Frank Green, the project manager for the state Department of Transportation.

Train rides between Portland and Seattle should get at least 10 minutes faster, Green said, and the goal is for trains to arrive on time 88 percent of the time, compared to 73.1 percent now.

More delicious details at the TDN site. With maps! (I love maps. :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so 88% is probably for the funded projects. I suppose to get to 95% they still need the second platform at Centralia, etc.

OK, so 88% is probably for the funded projects. I suppose to get to 95% they still need the second platform at Centralia, etc.
The "etc." is a pretty big thing. There's been rough estimates of more than another Billion needed to cut more time out of the Seattle-Portland route. I'm hoping that there's some poor soul in the back room at the WSDOT who's steadily working on details of the next set of projects, so they'll be closer to "shovel-ready" if or when funding arrives.

That could be when another Stimulus falls from the sky. Or if even $3 or 4 Billion a year for rail, like fiscal 2010, could get thru Congress. Maybe two of the maximum $25 million TIGER grants every year, one for Washington and another for Oregon, with matching funds from Washington and Oregon, could move things along over a span of years. Sounder could help a bit. Canada could help at the Vancouver end. Oregon keeps working toward serious south-of-Portland upgrades; a draft EIS or something is promised by year end (yeah, right).

I badly mis-over-estimated how close to positive returns the corridor is and will be after the upgrades kick in. My bad.

But let's look again: Cascades frequencies will increase by two trains, from 5 to 7, (counting the Coast Starlight), for a 40% capacity gain. On Time Performance improves from 73% to 88%. New-n-better signaling for safety n speed. Two shiny-n-new trains and the others repolished; 8 new-n-improved locomotives. Restored to glory King Street Station in Seattle, with track improvements. New stations coming for Tacoma and Tukwila. Run time 10+ minutes faster due to new by-passes at Point Defiance and Vancouver, WA, and five new sidings. Trip time reduced by an hour or so when measured by the "I just missed the train, when's the next one?" gap between departures.

Looking at a WSDOT report using 1991-2011 data, over the 17-year period ridership on the corridor increased an average of 9.5% a year. (Here WSDOT explains that it includes the Starlight in these calculations. So now I'm saying "a 40% increase in capacity" when before I'd said 50%.)

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C3FC25A6-7CC6-4BA2-B6CB-B36792B55382/0/amtrakcascadesoverview.pdf

By 2010 and 2011, ridership was totaling about 850,000 altogether. Recently Amtrak's Monthly Reports credit the Cascades with 780,000. So it looks like Amtrak also includes the Cascades stretch of the Coast Starlight.

(Hey, isn't the Starlight getting robbed by this reporting, which removes the lucrative 300-mile Portland-Seattle segment from its results? Does the Sacramento-San Jose get credit to the Capital Corridor? The San Luis Obispo segment to the Surfliner? With this bookkeeping, no wonder the Western trains are shown to lose so much money. LOL.)

As I was saying. The Cascades Corridor is down 70,000 from its peak years, due to construction delays or Bolt Bus or what. When the new-n-improved kicks in, will the Cascades bounce back with immediate growth to the 850,000 they got 5 or 6 years back? Then resume the 9.5% growth trend? Or grow 9.5% from the depressed 780,000 it got in 2014, or worse, the 690,000 it looks to get FY 2015?

A quick bounce back to the peak 850,000 would mean about 150,000 pax added right there.

Then moving from a restored base of 850,000 at the historical 9.5% increase, gets 80,000 more riders, then another 80,000 puts us over 1,000,000 riders.

Operating 40% more trains will add something to the costs, but not 40%. Then the bounce-back revenue increase starts to cover that extra cost.

Added revenue will soon start to eat away the subsidy on this corridor. Not to mention help from another $1 million off a modest $1 per ticket price rise.

Most of the added riders and revenue will come from the Seattle-Portland stem, of course, helping Wash State. In that 2011 report, the Washington segment got 590,000 pax while Oregon and B.C. got another 260,000 (more than I'd have guessed, actually).

But the two added trains should allow another frequency or two south to Salem and Eugene, with that added revenue helping Oregon. Riders going capital-capital Salem-Olympia, or Eugene-Vancouver or Eugene-Seattle, will greatly benefit from the improved on time reliability, the new-n-shiny, and the added frequencies on the stem also.

Back in the day, farebox recovery on the Washington segments climbed from 54% in 2009, to 64% in 2010, to 66% in 2011. Get a 10-point jump on the farebox share and 2 points each year thereafter? Why wouldn't legislators be willing to invest in more of the same? (Crazy is why.)

Now I'm predicting ridership to grow at least 75,000 a year for the first four years or so. The subsidy will subside every year. Then I expect that WSDOT and ODOT and, most of all, the state officials, will be pressured to invest in next steps.

So I'm still very optimistic about this corridor after summer of 2017.

I do remember reading that the second platform at Centralia was actually really important to the scheduling.

-- Pt. Defiance Bypass enters on the east side

-- Lacey is on the east side

-- Centralia's on the WEST side

-- Kelso's on the east side

-- Vancouver WA is on the east side

-- nearly all the ports and junctions with freight traffic are on the west side, until Vancouver WA

You see the problem with Centralia immediately. This alone could account for the difference between 88% predicted now and 95% previously predicted. It should be the next project.

I do remember reading that the second platform at Centralia was actually really important to the scheduling.

-- Pt. Defiance Bypass enters on the east side

-- Lacey is on the east side

-- Centralia's on the WEST side

-- Kelso's on the east side

-- Vancouver WA is on the east side

-- nearly all the ports and junctions with freight traffic are on the west side, until Vancouver WA

You see the problem with Centralia immediately. This alone could account for the difference between 88% predicted now and 95% previously predicted. It should be the next project.
I'm glad to think that WA DOT has its eyes on more low-hanging fruit for future upgrades.

Someone posted hereabouts that the WA State highway people aren't thinking of spending more on trains until the two added roundtrips from the Stimulus round of upgrades are running full. They probably think that's a long time down the road. I think it's by FY 2020.

Altogether the "next phase" of upgrades could run another Billion or so. That's an easier number to handle politically if the first phase is successful, the added roundtrips are indeed running full, and ridership hits an important-sounding total of a million. Then the search for funds will get serious. With haters in control in Congress, it won't be easy.

Still, a string of "incremental improvements", done with TIGER-sized $25 million maximums plus matching funds, could get things going. Stuff like a new platform at Centralia, and another siding or a double-tracked segment. The OTP is one important measure, but there's more to it for riders. Being stopped behind an overloaded freight is beyond annoying, it can be downright enraging. Eliminating another 2-minute delay here and there can greatly improve the passengers' experience, and the customer satisfaction scores.

Many of the federal grant criteria get easier to meet with each added individual project. One factor calculated is yearly hours saved times a certain value per hour per rider. More riders, the better that figure looks. Saving 2 minutes for 600,000 yearly riders is worthwhile. Saving 2 minutes per mile for 1,000,000 riders is worth more.

Even as blunt a measure as additional frequencies, the first phase is adding two roundtrips to the current five, which means the total Billion $ upgrade is divided by 7 trains. A sweeter figure comes from dividing the next Billion $ phase by a larger total of 9 trains, from another two added roundtrips.

Other costs, even track and equipment maintenance, get to be less cost-per-train and ultimately less loss-per-rider. The study for the Coast Daylight gave some importance to rebuilt and straighter tracks to lower wear and tear -- not to mention a smoother, more comfortable, and faster ride. (That Cali coastal segment may rival the Cascades route for curves per mile. LOL.)

Bringing me back again to the conclusion that the cure for what ails Amtrak is more Amtrak. That's related to the observation that nothing succeeds like success, and every successful route helps Amtrak succeed.

Good place to remind ourselves that these Cascades upgrades will benefit the Coast Starlight quite nicely. It will remain one of the trains in the schedule of the Portland-Seattle corridor. Only being 1 of 7 is much better than being just 1 of 5, since the greater number of departures will attract a larger total of riders. The Starlight will benefit from the same upgrades designed to improve on time performance, and every LD train can use help with that. ;) And it will probably gain the full 10 minutes saved from the schedule as the other trains.

Going back in history, the biggest step toward faster Cascades service was adopting the Talgos. With "hundreds of curves" on the route, the tllting technology has allowed the Talgo trains to run about 25 minutes faster than the Starlight's Superliner equipment Portland-Seattle. From here on out, the conventional LD will share most of the same time savings of the Talgo runs, because now the upgrades are not about tilting thru curves. (The state-supported trains will have new locomotives, probably cascading older, used ones to other routes across the country.)

Of course, the Starlight will also benefit from new or improved stations in Tacoma, Tukwila, and Seattle. And busier stations are more fun, and usually offer riders more services ad support.

Not least, the Amtrak brand should greatly improve in the Northwest as the Cascades route becomes ever more successful.

Someone posted hereabouts that the WA State highway people aren't thinking of spending more on trains until the two added roundtrips from the Stimulus round of upgrades are running full. They probably think that's a long time down the road. I think it's by FY 2020.
If the projects finish construction near the end of 2017, I'm guessing the two additional trains will be running full by 2019. I hope Washington can find a few projects in the $10 million range to raise the on-time-performance further, such as a second platform and pedestrian overcrossing at Centralia; that's in TIGER grant range.

Dayum, Paulus, you had to squint to find that one! But there it is, Talgo train set for LOSSAN North, meaning Ventura, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo counties.

And I love the list.

Tier 1, Need $95 million from cap-and-trade, the rest is already funded, total of $382 million for three bridge replacements allowing double-tracking for a mile here, 2 ½ miles there and 2 ½ over there, too. Mostly San Diego area, one 10,000 foot passing siding in Irvine county. Planning for "robust timetable" in LOSSAN North. Hmmn. Added frequencies? More upgrades for faster times?

And then Tier 2, complete plans for a couple more bridge replacements, a few more miles double-tracked, ROW acquisition for curve straightening, design for a new station at Camp Pendleton, and Talgo trainset.

Steady incremental improvements on this popular corridor, now powered in part by cap-and-trade funds.

Could simply be to replace the horizon set(s) used on the line. One every day, and during very busy times, a second replaces a bi-level set that is broken up to expand the other sets.

Could simply be to replace the horizon set(s) used on the line. One every day, and during very busy times, a second replaces a bi-level set that is broken up to expand the other sets.
Probably this. LOSSAN is very keen to own all its own equipment since the state is paying $12.5M+ just in capital equipment charges on the Surfliner.

Might be an attempt to see whether tilting will speed up the schedule north of LA.

Otherwise I would really expect them to just buy more bilevels. Despite the Nippon Sharyo delay. Or maybe this is supposed to be a temporary lease *until* they get the bilevels?

If it's supposed to be a temporary lease, they would probably go off lease right around the time Washington State needed them, which would work out OK.

Back