TE #21 Sqeaks By

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got home from shopping in time to hear a "breaking news" story. A UP train has derailed in Arlington Tx. between Dallas and FTW, about 15 cars off the track, tankers included. It seems the TE #21 was just ahead of this train, and it arrived early into FTW. I guess TE#22 will take the TRE route. It's about time the TE got a break! :)

Just got home from shopping in time to hear a "breaking news" story. A UP train has derailed in Arlington Tx. between Dallas and FTW, about 15 cars off the track, tankers included. It seems the TE #21 was just ahead of this train, and it arrived early into FTW. I guess TE#22 will take the TRE route. It's about time the TE got a break! :)
Wonder if Jerry Jones had anything to do with this??? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(As in, We dont need any damn Trains in Arlington, Drive and use my Parking Lots!!)

Not Amtrak related. But I do blame Jerry Jones karma on the super freeze we had here last year during the super bowl. You reap what you sow. This year and the year before we are having our usual low to mid 60s. Great weather for Feb. I just hope there is snow in the rockies when we take our CZ trip

in a couple of weeks

I was wondering if the TE had passed through. From the video, it looked like both parallel sections of track were destroyed making clean up that much harder. I have learned on AU forums that engine crews must be qualified for every foot of track they drive on. So how does this work when the TE has to take the alternate TRE route? Do they have to find a crew that is qualified for that 30 mile stretch? And if they manage to find a spare crew, I would think that they are not qualified to drive an Amtrak P42. So would they have to hook up another engine to lead the train into Dallas? This process seems like it would result in significant delays out of FTW.

Man, that was close! It even arrived early!

I was wondering if the TE had passed through. From the video, it looked like both parallel sections of track were destroyed making clean up that much harder. I have learned on AU forums that engine crews must be qualified for every foot of track they drive on. So how does this work when the TE has to take the alternate TRE route? Do they have to find a crew that is qualified for that 30 mile stretch? And if they manage to find a spare crew, I would think that they are not qualified to drive an Amtrak P42. So would they have to hook up another engine to lead the train into Dallas? This process seems like it would result in significant delays out of FTW.
They would pick up a "pilot" (someone who is qualified on the 30 mile stretch), but the Amtrak crew would still run the engine.

They would pick up a "pilot" (someone who is qualified on the 30 mile stretch), but the Amtrak crew would still run the engine.
Thank you for answering my question. Is there a way I can find out if the tracks have been repaired? I may be on the TE tomorrow and I might ride to Dallas on 22 if there is some rare mileage involved. Price is the same whether you get off in FTW or Dallas from the south.

I don't know if the tracks are fixed or not. I planned on a point run today,,,,,, but stuff happened. I will check tomorrow hopefully. I think it would be cool to whoosh thru the TRE stops as those waiting just watch us breeze by with their mouths agape :p

I don't know if the tracks are fixed or not. I planned on a point run today,,,,,, but stuff happened. I will check tomorrow hopefully. I think it would be cool to whoosh thru the TRE stops as those waiting just watch us breeze by with their mouths agape :p
That is pretty much what I was going for too. I have heard about the potential for a quick trip on the TRE line but I wonder if the UP freights are also going to be squeezing in. The UP line through Arlington is the main line through town so that freight traffic has to get across town somehow.

Wow, it took less than 20 hours to clean up those overturned tankers, and re-open the tracks in the rain, no less. Those guys were bustin' butt. UP must've provided big in$entive to who-ever was doing the clean up, so they could reopen the tracks and get their trains rolling again. We can only wish that Amtrak will finally make the deal with TRE and avoid those time consuming back up moves into FTW sometime in the near future.

Wow, it took less than 20 hours to clean up those overturned tankers, and re-open the tracks in the rain, no less. Those guys were bustin' butt. UP must've provided big in$entive to who-ever was doing the clean up, so they could reopen the tracks and get their trains rolling again. We can only wish that Amtrak will finally make the deal with TRE and avoid those time consuming back up moves into FTW sometime in the near future.

Yep-that's how it works. Identify the root cause of the derailment, then turn Hulcher, or RJ Corman crews loose. They'll clear the wreck, and have pannels down in a matter of hours. It's amazing to watch their crews work. If there's a hazmat spill, or fire, add 10 hours to the cleanup time. Then, the regular RR guys work to rebuild it right for the long term. If you have never seen a Hulcher crew do their thing, it's truly a thing of beauty amid ugly. Amazing what those guys can do with a few side booms and a bulldozer. It might take a few weeks to get it back to 100%, but they can usually have traffic moving in less than 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back