TE/SL 421 Experienced Coach Passenger 1st time in Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShmo

Train Attendant
Hello everyone! I have taken the TE/SL 421 to Tucson out of Chicago as a coach passenger for over 6 years. Coach is ok but I always wanted a sleeper for a few reasons. 1. For the meals! 2. I use a cpap machine at home and snore without it and never want to disturb other passengers. 3. So I can do my school work easier. In the past I have only been able to buy a ticket a week or two before I planned to travel. But this time I was able to look months ahead of time and find a Roomette for near half the cheapest normal low price I usually see. I am excited this trip at end of May because I love the train and finally can travel in comfort and have a shower!
I have read these forums and found a general consensus that Ice is available upon request which is cool. Also I notice it is general courtesy to tip the SCA. I was thinking $10-$20/ day because I want my lunch and dinner in room. What are the thoughts on that? Also, as this is my first time in a sleeper, any suggestions?

p.s.
Does anyone else love the Burrito Lady in El Paso as much as I do?

Last edited:
I was going to say 20 bucks total for the trip should be fine but you’ll actually have 2 attendants. One Chi-SAS and one SAS to Tucson (The swap out could take place in Dallas instead of SAS).
Regardless though even eating in your room $10 a day should be fine. Don’t be stressed they are well paid and a good attendant knows it:). Ice is available from your attendant and the diner as well.
Most importantly enjoy your trip!

Also you can store your bags in the upper bunk and unless they are huge the bunk will shut, makes it nice security wise when your not in the room.

Last edited:
I was going to say 20 bucks total for the trip should be fine but you’ll actually have 2 attendants. One Chi-SAS and one SAS to Tucson (The swap out could take place in Dallas instead of SAS).
Regardless though even eating in your room $10 a day should be fine. Don’t be stressed they are well paid and a good attendant knows it:). Ice is available from your attendant and the diner as well.
Most importantly enjoy your trip!
Thank you for your advice!

Also you can store your bags in the upper bunk and unless they are huge the bunk will shut, makes it nice security wise when your not in the room.
I will have 1 small luggage that is supposed to be airline carry-on complaint, and 1 backpack for essentials. After reviewing many YouTube videos it seems you are right that I should be able to store both in Roomette as I am travelling alone.

One specific question I have is, as I smoke.. :( Can I ask the sleeper attendant to let me know of all 'fresh air stops'? Is it situational or can you hear announcements like you can in coach?

Also, during the trip, someone on the intercom will announce smoke stops as you approach them! Like in coach.
Thank you. I have heard how sometimes it can be difficult it not impossible to hear announcements in first class. Such as speakers not working. If announcements are made are they in-room or in hallway? I have heard both but unsure.

Thank you. I have heard how sometimes it can be difficult it not impossible to hear announcements in first class. Such as speakers not working. If announcements are made are they in-room or in hallway? I have heard both but unsure.
Many times my roomette speakers don't work. I try to listen closely & even will open my door on occasions. I'm a former 4 pack a day Marlboro Red smoker (almost 13 years ago), so I know how it is!!!

Many times my roomette speakers don't work. I try to listen closely & even will open my door on occasions. I'm a former 4 pack a day Marlboro Red smoker (almost 13 years ago), so I know how it is!!!
Thanks for validating possible issues in first class. Which brings me back to my question.. do you think I can ask the sleeper car attendant to let me know of the stops? I know there is a 'fresh air' smoking list here on the forums, but also each stop is different and some unscheduled stops can become fresh air stops as well as scheduled stops can become null. Also I have seen on my travels that sometimes sleeper passengers cannot exit from sleeper car on stops. If I tip the sleeper attendant well, what are my chances of getting notice of all fresh air stops?

If you notify your attendant of your strong desire to smoke, and request advance notice of "smoke stops", as well as listen out for announcements, all should be well.
Maybe bring some nicotine gum or similar for those long gaps between such stops?

Ed.

I am a non-smoker, but every SCA that I have experienced informed me of the longer than usual stops for those who do smoke. This information is offered when the SCA introduces him/herself and offers an introduction to the accommodation.

This is possibly the worst advice I have ever heard.

Former 3-pack-a-day smoker here, 1965 to 1996. Many of those years on trains as often as possible. If I was still a smoker, I imagine I'd be totally pissed at Amtrak's no smoking policies. However, that's the way of the world now -- not just Amtrak. And for all the best reasons.

Amtrak went to great lengths to initiate the no-smoking rules, including deep cleaning its rolling stock at the time and insuring the rules were clear to all -- pax and staff alike. Surely all pax know the rules now, so if someone lights up on board they have to be intentionally giving the finger to Amtrak and also everyone else on board they offend and jeopardize their health when they do so.

Giving a warning to someone who lights up is pointless after the fact. An employee has an obligation to report the violation to a conductor. That conductor has an obligation to insure it doesn't happen again. The most prudent way to do that is to remove the offending pax from the train ASAP.

I don't want to beat up on Joe because I've been there. Except, when I quit a person could smoke almost anywhere, the biggest benefit was being able to breathe and not having to fork over $5.00 for a carton of Pall Malls. Now days it's health, breathing, $$, and never having to worry about finding a time or place to smoke. Oh yeah, trying to avoid smokers. Quitting smoking for me was a matter of one day at a time, I never wanted to go through that first day ever again. Maybe Joe will miss a stop and then a second and get disgusted and pitch the pack in the trash. One thing for sure, he's traveling on a train and that's one h£[[ of a ride.

Back