Tehachapi Trip on the Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
Tehachapi Trip, October 2008

Here's a delayed Trip Report from October. I'd been watching for another possible Tehachapi Run on the Starlight, and found out about this one just a few days beforehand. I quickly reserved the northbound run from LAX to SAC, to assure best daylight conditions over the Pass, then structured a trip around it. I planned to use the previous day to get to Los Angeles, by an interesting and varied route including my own trip-planning "signature"... a San Diego swing-by and return on the Surfliner.

The first part of the trip went perfectly as planned. Early morning bus from the North Bay, arriving at Martinez around 7:45 AM. I had a ticket to San Jose, intending to take the Capitol Corridor Train. While it is not possible to SCHEDULE a same-day connection from my home town to the Southbound Coast Starlight in Martinez, that does not mean it is impossible to MAKE such a connection. Just don't count on it.

As it happened, our bus was a few minutes early, and the Starlight was a few minutes late. So just as I was walking along the Platform towards the Station, along comes the Train! I explained my situation to an Agent standing outside, asking if perhaps I might ride the Starlight with my San Jose ticket. He said I would have to ask the crew on the train itself. So as the train pulled in, I walked back to the Coach section, and said, "I have a ticket for San Jose..." and without waiting for the rest of the story, they instructed me to board at the next car down. So I did, and had a fine "long-distance" cruise from Martinez to San Jose riding in the Sightseer Lounge. After my snack-car Breakfast of Hot Dog & Pepsi, I played Tour Guide to a varied group of Travellers, none of whom had been to San Francisco before. Sharing all the sights and points of interest, including our first views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the City itself across the Bay.

Bidding them all Farewell at San Jose, I purchased my second Hot Dog at the Station's Snack Bar there, then boarded the first CalTrain up the Peninsula through Mountain View (Silicon Valley) and past Stanford, enjoying views of the extensive wetlands at San Carlos, passing the San Francisco Airport (with good views of the planes and people-movers there), past the Marinas at Oyster Point, and through the Tunnels and industrial zones into the King Street Station at San Francisco.

Just outside the Station I bought my Muni ticket and boarded the Light-Rail to Market & Powell, where the Cable Cars have their turn-table. Since time was short and the line of tourists was very long on this Sunny Saturday in October, I decided to catch the cable-car a few blocks into the trip instead of waiting half the day. Up to Union Square... next cable car still full. Up a couple more blocks... next cable car still full. So I raced them on foot (keeping up pretty well, actually) up to the the top of the hill at California Street. Next cable car had JUST enough room to squeeze on board. And it was the correct run, too... (Hyde St.) So on through Chinatown, past the Cable Car Barn, over the top of Russian Hill, and then straight down to Fisherman's Wharf (with views of Alcatraz, Angel Island, and Sausalito). I had a nice lunch at a sidewalk cafe there (clam chowder in a sourdough bowl), with views of the Sea Lions cavorting in the Inner Harbor (for Fishing Boats). Then on to Jones Street for the Heritage Streetcars. My first Muni Ticket was still valid (barely), so I got a ride along the Embarcadero, past the Ferry Building (and the Amtrak Station there... the only full-service Station with No Trains!), and back up Market Street to Civic Center (United Nations Plaza).

After a quick walk around the Plaza, enjoying the fountains and the architecture, I headed downstairs to the Bart Station. First Train heading South. Good views from the Elevated Section approaching Daly City and into Colma, then underground again until the Airport. Walked around the Station there a little (no fee if not exiting!), then boarding the next Train heading North... enjoying the airport views along the way. Planes are fine to watch... especially when riding a Train!

So back through the City again, through the Market Street Subway and under the Bay. Emerging briefly in Oakland for views of the Port and hills and the University at Berkeley, then back underground. I exited at the 12th Street Station, Oakland Civic Center. Walking around the Plaza there (more fountains!), I then headed on foot down Broadway to Jack London Square, enjoying fountains and views and seeing lots of yachts in the Alameda Channel. There is one point where a broad stairway leads right down into the water. I was going down there and hopping along the rocks, when a local fellow asked me if I was going to go swimming. I said, Sure, it's a great day for it. Then touching the chilly water, mentioned that I had just changed my mind, the water is not quite warm enough after all.

Continuing along, I got to the Amtrak Station in plenty of time for the final run that day of the San Joaquin Train to Bakersfield. Seeing several other trains coming and going as well, always interesting at Jack London Square where the tracks run (unprotected) right down the middle of the Street for several blocks.

The trip started off fine, with good scenery along the East Shore of San Francisco Bay and across the Delta. Unfortunately there was an accident as we were pulling into the Station at Stockton. There is a place there with a homeless shelter on one side of the Tracks, and a city park favoured by Alcoholics right on the other side of the Tracks. This gives a lot of less-than-alert foot traffic at an unauthorized crossing... particularly hazardous in the dark. That afternoon, some fellow kept falling asleep on the tracks. His friends pulled him off, but he kept returning and falling back asleep. Unfortunately, that was how we found him there, when I got to experience an unannounced "full stop" using the Emergency Brakes. Naturally the crew was very distressed and there was a lot of uncertainty. Eventually the emergency vehicles arrived to assess the situation. A couple of hours later we pulled forward into the Station so we could walk around a bit, then (after finishing all of their Reports) we continued on our way.

The rest of the ride was uneventful but late. Dinner was excellent, as always on the San Joaquin Trains (serving gourmet-style "California Cuisine" by a quality caterer). Transfer to the Bus at Bakersfield was uneventful but late. 2AM hot-dog stop in Santa Clarita was tasty but late. We passed through LAX around 4:00 AM. I could have "played it safe" by getting off there, but didn't really want to hang around the Station that long in the Dark, so I continued on South hoping for the best.

I was watching the schedule pretty closely, realizing that our arrival in San Diego would probably be too late for any Surfliner to get me back to LAX in time for the 10:15 AM departure of the Starlight. And catching that train, for the Tehachapi Detour that day only, was crucial to the entire trip! So I was planning for each stop along the way, what degree of delay would force a bail-out there or what degree of delay gave fair odds of still connecting one stop further down the line. We made it past Fullerton OK, and were on our way to Santa Ana... when all those calculations suddenly flew out the window. The Bus had a Blow-out and stopped right there on the freeway... actually on some kind of connecting ramp between two freeways. This was at 5:00 AM. So we waited... and waited... and waited. Eventually we limped forward, pulled off the freeway, and parked at a Gas Station. The requested tow truck eventually arrived and, declaring he could do nothing to help, promptly left us.

I'd suggested to the Driver (not an Amtrak Regular, but a Charter Bus Operator) that we should call one of those door-to-door Airport Shuttle Vans to carry us all to the nearest Amtrak Station so we could catch the Surfliner to our respective destinations. He didn't think Amtrak would go for it, and none of the other passengers wanted to go in with me for this. So we waited some more... watching time and opportunity ticking away. Naturally I was the only one on board who was really heading North, and needed to get back fairly quickly to where we had just been.

The only sympathetic passenger was a Marine Corps Veteran. Together we lamented the passivity of everybody else, passengers and driver alike, content to sit there and wait (for who knows what) until Somebody Else tells them all what to do. Privately I posted 7:00 AM as my personal bail-out time, knowing there would still be time then to make something work, somehow.

Finally the Driver got a brilliant idea... the Idea we had all suggested much earlier... he would call and request "alternative transportation". I guess this means being Bustituted from a Bus, which was a new one for me. So he called... and found out... that "Amtrak was going to call him back later", to tell him then whether or not they would then begin to look into the possibility, and IF SO, then find out how long it would take to round up an acceptable bus on a Sleepy Sunday Morning.

By this time, I'd had quite enough, thank you. Nothing reasonable to wait for, and at 6:45 AM it was getting light out, with sunrise expected at about 7:00. So I wished them all well, and struck out ON FOOT for the nearest Amtrak Station.

Being sort-of familiar with the area, and carrying sort-of good maps, I figured we were about two miles away from Anaheim Amtrak. So I scurried on my way south. Eventually I asked directions at a gas station, but decided to ignore their advice because I figured there was probably a short-cut to be found. I knew the Station was across a Freeway, but forgot that there might be More-Than-One Freeway in the immediate area (that doesn't happen where I come from). Eventually I found some RailRoad Tracks, evidently a spur line, so I figured the MainLine had to be nearby. Through the Thick Morning Fog I was briefly able to catch a glimpse of a tall structure less than a mile off. I figured it should the the Anaheim "A's" Stadium, the landmark for the Amtrak Station there. Making my way toward it, I ultimately discovered it was a Hockey Stadium for the "Anaheim Ducks". Since I had no idea there ever was such a stadium, I certainly had no idea where I was just then. I asked a passing jogger Which way to Amtrak. He said up the other road and across the Freeway.

I didn't like that answer, because I had Already crossed a Freeway and saw no need to do it again. So I continued along the street I was following, as it left Civilization behind and got smaller and more obscure and passed a lot of barbed-wire Fences and finally sort of dead-ended right under... a RailRoad Bridge!

So I scrambled up onto the Tracks, and THERE was Anaheim Station, just 1000 yards along the Tracks. Definitely finding the Back Way Around. So quickly touching base inside the Station, determining which platform went to LAX (since I was completely turned around in the Fog), I walked over to await my Surfliner. Then I heard bells... it was the MetroLink!

I'd completely forgotten about these Trains, and certainly didn't know they'd be running on a Sunday Morning. Anyway, I climbed on board, glad to be out of the chill, and had a fine ride back to LAX... stopping at all the little Stations along the way, as only MetroLink will do. So I got back even before the first Surfliner of the day! In good time and good spirits, and none the worse for wear. So I headed over to Philippe's for a Breakfast of Sausage and Eggs, then returned to wait for the Starlight to arrive.

Touching base at Amtrak Information inside the Station, I mentioned that "I understand the Starlight is going to take the Tehachapi detour today?". To my dismay, they said, No that is only on certain days but today's run will be along the normal route. Lucky I don't believe everything I hear! A near-by Foamer (readily identifiable as such by the blinking Train Headlights and blinking crossing-signs on his RR hat and RR T-shirt) assured us that the Tehachapi Detour was indeed scheduled for that day. So they had us line up for check-in. Most of the passengers were headed for destinations Prior to Sacramento, so they all ended up taking busses one way or another. All that were left were a couple of passengers to Oregon, and a handful of Railfans.

Out on the Platform, we watched the Train backing in to the Station... same Consist I'd been on Southbound the previous Morning. There were a couple of Private Cars on the back, and people were making a big fuss about how VERY private they were, nobody could look and nobody could touch and CERTAINLY not step up on board even for two seconds without a proper Ticket. So I just walked over to the regular Coach section and got on board there.

The Train was completely empty, which made a great opportunity to take a walk and go exploring. Through the Coach cars, one after another, through the SightSeeing Lounge, through the Diner, through the Pacific Parlour Car, and into the first Sleeper. The Parlour Car was set up like an old-fashioned Smoking Lounge (with No Smoking, of course!), OK for Cocktails and Conversation, but the PITS for Sightseeing, because none of the over-stuffed chairs faced the Windows! So back to Coach to enjoy the journey.

As we pulled out of LAUPT, the Train was Still nearly Empty! So I moved to the SightSeeing Lounge, and remained there for the rest of the Trip. Everybody else there was a RailFan, plus a lady going to Oregon in Sleeper who said she WANTED to be a RailFan. That's fine, a special excursion run like this is a great place to begin. She gave up on the PPC because there were no good views there, so she preferred to share the Sightseeing Lounge with the rest of us.

Along the way, we all shared our own expertise to interpret the trip. One had a Scanner and GPS, one had detailed mileage information about the Route, listing every Rail-Road landmark along the way... sidings, junctions, detectors, and so forth. My own forte was Navigation... carrying detailed pre-marked AAA Maps of the entire route, plus close-ups of the Tehachapi section obtained from Google and from my RailRoad Mapping Software. So between us, we weren't going to miss much!

On our way at last, and on schedule! Not much freight traffic expected on a Sunday, either. We saw a few Trains here and there, but never had to wait more than a couple of minutes.

Clear weather and sunshine, who could ask for more! Out into the San Fernando Valley. Past Burbank Junction, which proved for sure that we were taking the Inland Route. Through the Tunnel to Newhall, then out through Soledad Canyon (with great views of the Mountains, and some elephants and lions that live in a Sanctuary there). Broad sweeping curves among Joshua Trees as we descended onto the Mohave Desert at Palmdale, past the Airport and related industries there, and out to Lancaster. This far I'd seen before by Metrolink, and everything from there on would be New.

Past rugged hills and Gold Mines and Dry Lakes to the old RR Town of Mojave... with its Airport storing surplus commercial aircraft from around the world, sitting there "high and dry", waiting for a better day. And then the Climb into the Tehachapi Mountains begins.

Great scenery, great views, and lots of fun following every curve and landmark as we worked our way up to the Summit. Through the Town of Tehachapi, then down into the Canyon from there. The famous Loop appeared right on schedule, and the Terrain just got steeper and wilder from there. We paused at a siding for the Southbound Starlight to pass, as RailFans on both Trains waved and took pictures of each other.

Eventually we worked our way down to the very bottom of the Canyon, with a sharp horseshoe turn there to the NorthWest, and continuing out to the San Joaquin Valley itself near Bakersfield. From there we followed Hwy 99 along the Union Pacific Mainline (rather than the Santa Fe route normally used by Amtrak), all the way to Manteca. We passed through town after town, right through the heart of every town, with historic depots seen in many of them. All in a straight line, demonstrating that it was the Railroad that determined the actual location of ALL these towns, with the Highway a mere after-thought. Hot dog and Pepsi for lunch, and a pleasant dinner in the Diner (Roast Chicken, very tasty).

At Manteca we left Hwy 99 and cut diagonally through town to Lathrop, where we switched onto the Track used by the ACE Train (commuter service between Stockton and San Jose via Altamont Pass) just as it was getting dark. From there North through Stockton where we crossed the previous night's route, then it was too dark even to follow the landmarks any more. On through unknown towns in the darkness... Lodi, Galt, Elk Grove, and lesser places. Coming into Sacramento I recognized the increased industrial activity, then Hwy 50 (the route from San Francisco to South Lake Tahoe) and right through the Campus of Cal State.

Just past Hwy 80 (the route to Reno), we turned right and crossed the American River. (This is the route used by the California Zephyr to Chicago.) Once the whole Train was clear of the Wye, we began to slowly back up, heading west into Downtown Sacramento. Arrival was On Time, about 9:30 PM with that day's special schedule. They would pull out Northbound at the usual time, 11:59 PM giving the continuing Passengers some time to enjoy Sacramento during the stop.

At the Station, I walked back to those two Private Cars, where people were now in a much better mood. I gave a hand with the luggage and helped several folks step off. Then when it was quiet asked permission to step on briefly and look around. The "guard" was taken aback and said I'd have to ask the Owner... who was preoccupied but feeling pretty good and said just be quick about it. So up the stairs, one good look through the doors into each car, and off again. No harm done. Better sight-seeing where I had ridden anyway, and better RailFan company for sure...

I caught a Taxi to my Motel, just one mile north of the Station, in the Jibboom St. area by the junction of the American and Sacramento Rivers. After a restful night, I walked to a near-by Cafe for Breakfast, then back along the Sacramento River Bicycle Trail to Old Town and the RailRoad Museum. From there back to the Sacramento Depot, in good time for an early Corridor Run back to Martinez, with bus connection from there back home to the North Bay. All in all, a fine and memorable Trip. It certainly highlighted the importance of being prepared for anything, and of staying flexible and well-informed. Too bad about missing the San Diego swing-by and the Surfliner run along the Coast... maybe next time for sure!

Awesome report! Great detail! I relished reading every word!

You certainly are lucky. I hope someday to be able to traverse that rare mileage of track (fortunately, seeming to be not so rare any more!)...

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I figured it should be the Anaheim "A's" Stadium, the landmark for the Amtrak Station there.
I have been informed that the Baseball Team called the "A's" does NOT live in Anaheim. I think maybe Oakland. The one in Anaheim is called the Angels, or something like that.

At least I got the First Letter right!

I'm ready to move to California now. This report highlights the variety of trips available to railfans.
Aloha Steve

Well then we will be closer and can visit more often, but from Chicago you have so many directions to choose from. :)

Eric

Thanks! Glad you liked it.

I figured it should be the Anaheim "A's" Stadium, the landmark for the Amtrak Station there.
I have been informed that the Baseball Team called the "A's" does NOT live in Anaheim. I think maybe Oakland. The one in Anaheim is called the Angels, or something like that.

At least I got the First Letter right!
Yup, that's Angels. Or in that case- California Anahiem Los Angeles Angels. Pretty reduntancy.

I'm ready to move to California now. This report highlights the variety of trips available to railfans.

Yes, I do. But no great circle trips for the weekend. You go to St. Louis, you come back. you go to Minneapolis, you comeback. You could do KC in a cirlce trip, but that means a 12 hour ride on abysmal horizon fleet cars.

If I lived In LA, I could do round trips to Sacramento, San Francisco, and San Diego. Additionally, there are two routes between LA and Sacramento/Oakland/San Francisco. All of these have scnery that is better than the midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back