Tell me about PHL station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim1977

Train Attendant
Hi all,

I frequently travel on Acela but have never been to the 30th Street station in Philidelphia. I am going to be taking an upcoming trip to visit someone and will be going from RTE to PHL and back. Can you guys tell me about this station? Specific things I am wondering are, how is parking there, is there a parking garage and can you park long term (this would be for my friend who may park there while traveling elsewhere with me). What about the ClubAcela (I will be traveling busniess class but I have the AGR Select passes to get in). Do you board from there? Also, when boarding in PHL, there will be a group of 3 of us going back. Should I expect us to find any seats anywhere near each other or even in the same car? Or just sit seperately and change seats in NYC? The boarding in PHL would happen on an Acela leaving PHL at ~3:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks!

What about the ClubAcela (I will be traveling busniess class but I have the AGR Select passes to get in). Do you board from there?
The ClubAcela is located up on the second floor. There are some stairs (fun if you have any carry-on luggage) located down the one hall from the baggage check counter.

There are elevators inside the ClubAcela, that will take you directly down to the platforms. The attendant will let you know when it is time, and "call" the elevator for you.

Hi all,

I frequently travel on Acela but have never been to the 30th Street station in Philidelphia. I am going to be taking an upcoming trip to visit someone and will be going from RTE to PHL and back. Can you guys tell me about this station? Specific things I am wondering are, how is parking there, is there a parking garage and can you park long term (this would be for my friend who may park there while traveling elsewhere with me). What about the ClubAcela (I will be traveling busniess class but I have the AGR Select passes to get in). Do you board from there? Also, when boarding in PHL, there will be a group of 3 of us going back. Should I expect us to find any seats anywhere near each other or even in the same car? Or just sit seperately and change seats in NYC? The boarding in PHL would happen on an Acela leaving PHL at ~3:30pm on a Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks!
There is a garage connected to 30th Street Station, but long term could cost you more than the trip. The daily rate is $25 (ouch!). One hour is $11. Two hours is $16. Twelve hours is $21. There are other lots a few blocks away that are cheaper, but I'm not sure how they work for long term. For those coming from New Jersey, a viable option is the NJ Transit Atlantic City Line. The Cherry Hill station has free parking and long term is not an issue. The NJT train from Cherry Hill to PHL is $4 each way. Maybe someone from the PA side of the river would have some suggestions with SEPTA parking.

Seating on Acela heading to NYP from PHL is hit or miss. There are a decent number of pax who detrain at PHL from points south. If you are are lucky enough to have one of the train doors stop near you on the platform, you should have a decent chance at getting two seats together. Otherwise, it will depend on the overall train load that day. Things do get crowded on Acela, particularly with an end of business day trip. Once you get to NYP, virtually the entire train gets off, so you will have your pick the seats there for the ride east to RTE.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few quick thoughts: If your friends are coming from jersey, they could also take the high speed line train to Philly. You can travel from Woodcrest station right off 295 for pretty cheap and then you would just need to transfer to the subway in Philly to get over to 30th street station. It runs continuously so might be more convenient than the NJT line. I grew up in south jersey and always took the high speed line into philly, I didn't even know that the train from cherry hill existed until PRR 60 mentioned it above.

As for finding three seats together while boarding in Philly, that will most likely be pretty difficult. Sometimes its tough to find two seats together in Philly let alone three. I wouldn't count on it and then just be prepared to get seats together in NYP. You shouldn't have a problem there as long as you ready to move immediately upon entering the station.

Have fun! Love the club acela in PHL.

I noticed you are in business class which does NOT entitle you to Clubacela. If you wish you can upgrade to first class at the ticket office which will then give you access to Clubacela.

Steve

I noticed you are in business class which does NOT entitle you to Clubacela. If you wish you can upgrade to first class at the ticket office which will then give you access to Clubacela.

Steve
She stated that she has Select passes to get into the lounge, so no need for her to upgrade to First class unless she really wants that level of service.

And just for the record, if she did want to upgrade to First Class, it could also be done in the lounge provided that one doesn't want to pay cash. No need to stand in the ticket line to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I booked a trip on the NE corridor on 9-11 and will leave from 30th street station. The parking lot is large and right next door to the station (w a connecting walkway). The fee is $25 per day but its convenient and for one day I will park there. Its a good station to depart from as there is a large food court, newsstands and many concession stands scattered about.

Steve
She stated that she has Select passes to get into the lounge, so no need for her to upgrade to First class unless she really wants that level of service.

And just for the record, if she did want to upgrade to First Class, it could also be done in the lounge provided that one doesn't want to pay cash. No need to stand in the ticket line to do it.
Didn't see the select.

But I never knew that you could upgrade in the lounge. But are you saying that they only take plastic in the lounge?

Steve

Steve

Didn't see the select.

But I never knew that you could upgrade in the lounge. But are you saying that they only take plastic in the lounge?

Steve
Yup the folks in the Club Acela can handle an upgrade if you pay by credit or have an AGR coupon.

Steve

Didn't see the select.

Steve
Yup the folks in the Club Acela can handle an upgrade if you pay by credit or have an AGR coupon.
Precisely.

The attendant in the lounge can handle almost all normal ticketing functions, except for cash. They can even print ticket for trains that don't serve that station; for example I once had my Auto Train tickets printed in the NY CA. Granted, you have to be able to gain access to the lounge in order to get them to do the ticket work for you, which means either having status or being on a train that day that grants you access.

You couldn't for example go to the lounge to change your same day ticket from a Regional to an Acela BC, unless of course you have some other way of qualifying to enter the lounge.

The last time I went to a ticket window was back in July in Portland, and then only because that's where I had to go to get my BC seat assignment and my $3 coupons for the cafe car. Otherwise, it's probably been more than 2 years since I've visited with a regular ticket agent. If the Quik-Trak can't handle it for me, then I visit the agent in the CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back