Tell me what I'll see on the Capitol

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyK

Train Attendant
I've just booked a return trip on the Capitol for myself and my son next August. We are travelling between Washington DC and Chicago and have booked sleeping accommodation. What things of interest or kind of scenery are we likely to see?

Thanks

Tracy :)

I always find scenery interesting no matter what. While I was on the Sunset between JAX and NOL and The City from NOL to CHI, I loved it because it's different all the time. Your eyes are never looking at the same thing for an extended period of time, unless you are in siding or at a station, which is a definite plus.

The Fall colors are just now entering peak time around here in Northeast Ohio. Then again it's hard to see them at 4AM :D

Other sights that you may find picturesque: I think the leaves are also strarting to turn in WV and through the Appalachans. The train also passes through the historic town of Harper's Ferry, site of a Civil Wart bettle. I can just imagine the soldiers of one side fighting their way up the hills, while the other side (in command of the hilltops) is blazing away with artillery.

Thanks for all the replies. We're going in August and I'm hoping we'll get to see different things on the outbound and return journeys. I'm sure we'll enjoy it whatever. It's a first for myself and my son.

Thanks

Tracy

Back