Temporary Denver Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
Ran across some info including some pictures of the new Temporary Amtrak station to be put into place in Denver. According to the blog post the depot will not go into use until spring at this point. Most of the depot work is done, but they're waiting to finish utilities at trackside, then installation of the temporary platform and trackage.

Link to Denver Infill Blog post HERE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's the link?

:huh: :excl:

Ran across some info including some pictures of the new Temporary Amtrak station to be put into place in Denver. According to the blog post the depot will not go into use until spring at this point. Most of the depot work is done, but they're waiting to finish utilities at trackside, then installation of the temporary platform and trackage.

Link to Denver Infill Blog post

good to know i wont have to deal with the "new" temp station and get to ride out of the classic one. thanks for the link and info

good to know i wont have to deal with the "new" temp station and get to ride out of the classic one. thanks for the link and info
Really, I thought the temp station actually looked halfway decent. I figured they'd just paint the walls, put up some temporary partition walls and tables, and declare it finished. Now, all we need is some signs of decent secure parking.

Just how long is temporary going to be?
Since it's Amtrak, and depending on the election results, it could be anywhere from 2 years until the 12th of Never! Most Govt. projects never get finished now a days,and cost overruns usually end up making it cost two to three times as much and result in planned features being cut out due to lack of funding! just saying, you know that it's tr ;) ue!

Since it's Amtrak, and depending on the election results, it could be anywhere from 2 years until the 12th of Never! Most Govt. projects never get finished now a days,and cost overruns usually end up making it cost two to three times as much and result in planned features being cut out due to lack of funding! just saying, you know that it's tr ;) ue!
This is not an Amtrak project. Amtrak has nothing to do with this and they have no say in when they can move back in. \

So please don't blame Amtrak for any part of this. :)

This is not an Amtrak project. Amtrak has nothing to do with this and they have no say in when they can move back in. \

So please don't blame Amtrak for any part of this. :)
Sorry Alan, I wasnt blaming Amtrak, I know it's a local project but what I mean to say is that since Amtrak always gets the leftovers and funding cuts when the weasels, er politicians masqutading as statesman start pandering to the anti-rail and NIMBY crowd Amtrak gets the short end of the straw! We all know it wont be finished on time or as planned and contracted! But you are correct that Amtrak has no say, at least it's not getting a trailer or a picnic table on a cement slab for a "temporary" station"! Just saying. ;)

Considering that the station will be close to the light rail when the project is finished, I wouldn't mind at all if Amtrak just stayed in it. That temporary station is nicer than a majority of Amtrak stations around the country, including mine! :ph34r:

While I love change, I also dislike it. I love the wonderful old Union Station here in Denver and do hope they finish this project.

I wonder which will be in use in January for my trip, the old or the new temp station? Has anyone heard of what they will be doing for parking at the temp station? Looking at maps, it is a bit of a distance from the old parking in front of Union Station.

I am curious to see what it all looks like down there and will see when I pick up my tickets. Usually my mom goes with me, if I can get her to wait a couple minutes, I will take some pics of the area.

They say that's one of the holdups, they haven't found suitable parking for it yet. They're working on it though.

Temporary is supposed to be three years (2014). But, ask Salt Lake City how long "temporary" is. Though, RTD did have to make major concessions to Amtrak just to make the redevelopment happen, so I bet it will be just three years.

Wow, a lot of track ripped out - 2nd platform. Was it already like that in July, and if so how were UP 844 and the Pioneer Days train handled?

I hope that the Denver Union Station renovation doesn't follow example set by the St. Louis Union Station renovation. I'm surprised how nice the "temporary" Denver station looks. Makes me wonder if there is a hidden plan for Amtrak to never return to DUS.

By the way, do I understand correctly that the renovated DUS will not have pull through capabilities for trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back