Texas Eagle 22--1st Amtrak trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kersey

Okay, I am a teacher and will be taking 6 senior girls to Chicago via the Texas Eagle in March. I have never been on an Amtrak train and neither have they. We are all very excited about our trip, but also wondering how the train ride will be. We will have to leave very very early in the middle of the night, but will only be on the train for approximately 12 hours. I would appreciate any and all tips you can give me for making this a great trip for these girls. We are on a budget also, so what should we do about food?

I think that you're all in for a real treat!

Here's a few tips to help get you started:

Food on the train can be a little pricey, so I would recommend taking a very small cooler with sandwiches and snacks. You can consume a private stock of food at your seats, but not in the lounge car or in the dining car. Keep in mind the maximum carry-on luggage is two pieces for passenger (not including purses or laptops).

Since you're leaving at pre-dawn and riding for 12 hours, you may wish to bring a lightweight blanket to get some rest. The Texas Eagle has pillows.

To find a seat on the train, look for one that is both unoccupied and does not have a seat check (small stub of paper with a 3-letter code) hanging above it.

I sometimes bring a small bag with soap, wash cloth, toothbursh, etc., to freshen up in the restroom toward the end of the trip.

You may also bring cards, magazines, games, etc. to make the trip more fun, especially when you're traveling with a group.

Hang out some in the lounge car and meet people. There should be some nice scenery, especially as you approach the Mississippi River.

Keep in mind that the trains run late due to various circumstances. Don't get in too big a hurry.

The train platforms at Chicago can be a bit noisy and chaotic. Once inside the station, you should be able to sort yourselves out, get your luggage situated (using the storage lockers, if you need them), and get where you need to go.

On your return trip, get to the station at least an hour early. I usually don't go down to the boarding area until about 30-minutes before departure.

Train travel can be very relaxing and worry free. I hope you have a great trip!

I agree that food on the train can be a little pricey, but you should still at least eat one meal in the dining car. That is one of those things which "everybody should do once".

For that matter, everybody "should" spend the night in a sleeping car once but I can see that would not work out logistically for this trip, and since you are boaridng early in the morning rather than late at night. Something to keep in mind for future trips. Very pricey, but many would consider it worth it.

Soap and towels are provided, but a toiletry kit with toothbrush, deodorants, mouthwash, etc is a great idea. That works best when you are in a private room sleeping car. But it also works in a coach.

Just keep in mind that others might be waiting to use the restroom. But you will be traveling in huge double deck equipment with several restrooms so that should not be much of a problem.

Have a good trip!!

Thanks so much for the replies. This really helps me know what to expect. Do you think I will have a problem keeping us all together, seating arrangement? These are kids and it is a school trip, I don't want to take the chance of someone getting "lost." Also I will be bringing my daughter along, 3 years old. Do you think she will handle the long ride well?

You won't really know until you get there how crowded the train is, or isn't, etc as to sitting together. I think they will make reasonable attempts to try to accommodate you.

As for your daughter being age 3, well my tirst trip was at age 3, and I am told I adapted to it quite well. (still riding!)

I often see kids just sort of sittng around and standing around seemingly enjoying their surroundings. I suspect it sort of overwhelms some of them.(in a good way)

Kersey,

It's hard to say if you'll be able to get 6 seats all together, although since you are traveling in March, the odds are in your favor. Worst case scenario you will all end up in the same car at least. You won't be scattered between cars.

You might also want to check out these hints & tips from On Track On Line. The pages are full of info for first time train riders. :)

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions and we'd love to hear how the trip went when you get back home.

Okay, this may be a real dumb question, but like I said I'm new at this. When passsing between cars, do you actually go outside or are the cars connected by an awning or something like that? I'm sure my students will have to go to the snack car or dining car. Isn't there also a lounge area where they can sit at a table and play cards or games together?

The cars are indeed connected by an awning, so even though it is theoretically "outside", you are protected from the elements.

The Lounge Car on the train in which you will be on has numerous chairs upstairs to enjoy the view from the floor-to-ceiling windows. Downstairs they have the snack bar as well as several booths.

Not only your students, but, you, also, will want to walk around to the lounge car and such. Don't feel confined and strapped down, like on a plane. You will have more room in your seat and more room to walk around than on anything you are used to (other than, of course, a ship).

As you were answered above, there is iindeed protection walking between the cars. This is especially true since you will be on double deck equipment. In those cars, the passage between cars is upstairs and is very short.

These things will make more sense once you get on board and actually see what things look like. Feel very free to ask.

When I was teaching high school I took a group of about 20 students on a trip on the Texas Eagle. While the students complained about the length of the trip (9 hours) before they got on the train, once the trip began they thoroughly enjoyed themselves once they realized how free they were to move around and the availability of snack items in the lounge car.

I would caution you to EXPECT the train to be late. Most of the time late trains are NOT the fault of Amtrak but rather are caused by their host railroads (Amtrak does not own the tracks the Texas Eagle travels on so they are at the mercy of the host railroads). If you can accept the fact that it will probably be late and be prepared for it, and prepare your students for it, you will be able to deal with a late train much easier. And, if the train is on time, which it may very well be, all the better.

I have been keeping track of the Texas Eagle's train status each day for the past few weeks, to have some idea if it is usaully on time or not. It has been running a little late the past few day but no more than an hour and still making it to Chicago on time, or even a little early. BUT..... last night instead of arriving at 2:03 am the train didn't arrive at our boarding point until 6: 43 am!!!! 4 hours late!!! How much of a chance do we have of this happening to us? Hopefully this doesn't happen very often.

The train station where we are boarding is very small and we cannot wait there for 4 hours! Especailly at 2 am when we are all sleepy. Is there anyway I can check if the train is running on time? This way I can keep an eye on it and we won't have to be at the station for 4 hours if it is running late???

Thanks.

I think we would be misleading you if we did not say that it is always possible that a train can be late, even in excess of four hours. Just call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL any time before your trip, and their computerized voice system "Julie" will report on train status. You may wish to establish a telephone tree with your party members, and advise them accordingly. You may also check on Amtrak's website, Amtrak.com.

I agree with Chatter's advice about calling Amtrak. I'd call Amtrak before heading to bed and then again when you wake up, and even more in the morning if it is running late.

Even if the train is running late though, be careful. Don't show up at the revised time. Trains can sometimes make up as much as an hour along the way. So if Amtrak is telling you that the train is 4 hours late and is expected to arrive at 6:03, I'd still make sure that I arrive by 5:03 at the latest. Otherwise you might find out that you've missed it because it made up some of the time.

Back