Texas Eagle 22(31), 3 car train on 3/31/22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let’s hope they are actively trying to hire not just run ads and go through the motions to appease lawmakers. Tech schools are still graduating mechanics on all levels. Airlines are still able to recruit A/P mechanics.

As far as experienced rail people that may be another story but it should make for some quick promotions at Beech and other shops where line mechanics that have their act together will be able to be promoted and foster the development of the next generation.

I agree they should try to put SSL’s on as many Eagles as possible maybe a diner in one’s that don’t have the SSL until the fleet is all back on the tracks. Are there excess diners laying around anywhere? I know LAX always had one or two available if they needed to fill in for a Parlour seemed at the time to be more available than an extra SSL. Aka dining car in lieu of SSL in addition to CCC.

Last edited:
If they're sharing a consist with the Capitol Limited the food car is going to be a CCC, even if flex dining ends and even if they manage to get SSLs back in service. It's probably more important to get the SSLs back in service than dining cars. I had a number of meals on the Capitol Limited before they went to flex dining, and the food and service was just as good as the traditional dining served in the dining car. The dining car end of the CCC is perfectly fine. Of course, the real goal is to have enough cars back in service so the Texas Eagle and Capitol Limited don't have to share consists.

Let’s hope they are actively trying to hire not just run ads and go through the motions to appease lawmakers. Tech schools are still graduating mechanics on all levels. Airlines are still able to recruit A/P mechanics.

As far as experienced rail people that may be another story but it should make for some quick promotions at Beech and other shops where line mechanics that have their act together will be able to be promoted and foster the development of the next generation.

I agree they should try to put SSL’s on as many Eagles as possible maybe a diner in one’s that don’t have the SSL until the fleet is all back on the tracks. Are there excess diners laying around anywhere? I know LAX always had one or two available if they needed to fill in for a Parlour seemed at the time to be more available than an extra SSL. Aka dining car in lieu of SSL in addition to CCC.
Someone mentioned/speculated either here or on an Amtrak "fan" Facebook page that the increasing number of states legalizing recreational marijuana may be behind some of the problems in Amtrak (and presumably other businesses) hiring people because marijuana is still illegal at the federal level and users are screened out of contention for employment at Amtrak for some (most?) jobs. New Mexico recently had our first day of legal selling of recreational marijuana on April 1. I don't know what to think, but at first blush, I'm not a fan. But at 2nd blush, the state will be taking in a lot of tax revenue on rm sales. Maybe they can do something positive with the extra money earned from what I view as fools.

Someone mentioned/speculated either here or on an Amtrak "fan" Facebook page that the increasing number of states legalizing recreational marijuana may be behind some of the problems in Amtrak (and presumably other businesses) hiring people because marijuana is still illegal at the federal level and users are screened out of contention for employment at Amtrak for some (most?) jobs. New Mexico recently had our first day of legal selling of recreational marijuana on April 1. I don't know what to think, but at first blush, I'm not a fan. But at 2nd blush, the state will be taking in a lot of tax revenue on rm sales. Maybe they can do something positive with the extra money earned from what I view as fools.
This issue was mentioned in a blog post by Jim Matthews on the RPA website.

The current policy is probably overly strict, but I don't see it changing any time soon. Plus, they still haven't developed a reliable method to determine whether one is high on cannabis with the same reliability as alcohol breathalyzers (though they're working on it.) They could get rid of hair tests, because it seems to me that they're overly sensitive, and may screen out people who stopped using the stuff some time ago.

Obviously, if you want to work in the transportation industry, you're going to have abstain, and that needs to be clearly communicated in vacancy announcements.

Back