Texas Eagle 22(31) detour

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandpa D

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak's "Track a Train" shows this morning's TE heading east on the SL route, much the same as a few weeks ago when it detoured through Smithville, Bastrop, and Elgin to get to Taylor. I'd guess the flooding in Austin, once again, has something to do with it.

But this time there also is a trackwork detour from Taylor direct to Longview. Should be interesting to follow it today.

Very Serious Flooding all over Central Texas due to 8-12 inches of Rain in a Time Span of a Few Hours, has caused Washouts of Bridges, Tracks, Roads etc. The Re-Route to LVW via Taylor Runs through many Swampy and Low Lying Areas with Lots of Creeks, Rivers and Lakes hence the Detour via the Sunset Route! (Old SP) as occurred a Couple of Weeks ago when Central Texas had as much as 10 inches of Rain in One Day! Look for Serious Delays of the Eagles Today and Possibly Tomorow, the Front and Rain is Moving Eastward into East Texas and La.

Looks like TE 22(31) skipped Taylor and is going right to Longview. From previous days of the Taylor-Longview detour it might be on time into Longview or even early.

Now we'll see what the southbound TE21(30) does about flooding in and around Austin. Right now it's still at FTW.

It looks like its heading toward Waco,then maybe Ft. Worth? What makes you think its heading for Longview? Its by Bryan College Station now.

It looks like its heading toward Waco,then maybe Ft. Worth? What makes you think its heading for Longview? Its by Bryan College Station now.
Today is the Last Day of the #22/#422 Detour to LVW via East Texas until Nov. 8-18 and Nov. 21/22 when the Ongoing Trackwork is Supposed to be finished between LVW and Dallas! #21/#421 has not had to Detour , it follows the Eagle's Regular Route from LVW to Mineola, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Cleburne, McGregor, Temple, Taylor and into Austin via the UP and BNSF Tracks!

Due to the Flooding in Central Texas Last Night and This Morning, Todays #22 was Sent out on the UP (Old SP) Tracks to Flatonia, up to Smithville, did an 18 Mile Backing Move and up thru East Texas to Longview via Hearne!(Just like it did a Couple of Weeks ago when 10 Inches of Rain in Central Texas Forced this Re-Route!) There is no Passenger Service between Bryan/College and Waco and the Eagles don';t go through Waco! (UP Refuses to Route them through there on its Busy Main Line)

The Flood Waters are Receding ,but there is much Damage, and Roads, Bridges and Tracks will need to be Inspected before Normal Operations can Resume!

*****Update:per a Post on trainorders.com todays Re-Routed #22 is Due into LVW After 11:00PM/ 5+ Hours Late!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beware if you board the train in Austin during this detour. I was going to Longview a few weeks ago and the agents were going to put me on a bus that went no further than Dallas. I guess they are confused by the detour. No one was able to help me by phone either.

I decided to not board a bus and drove instead. Wished I had been able to see a different section of Texas.

Does anyone know where the train is now? The tracker is showing at Dallas at 9:51pm. I am beginning to think UP routed 22 through FTW.after its east Texas trip. Or is the tracker wrong?

Does anyone know where the train is now? The tracker is showing at Dallas at 9:51pm. I am beginning to think UP routed 22 through FTW.after its east Texas trip. Or is the tracker wrong?
:help: Strange Happenings Today for the Eagles!(It's Halloween!) I haven't a Clue what the UP/BNSF Dispatchers are doing with these Trains Today?? :unsure: Austin had several Bad Washouts last night in Both North and South Austin (the Worst was @ McNeil where the Tracks were just hanging in the Air with All Ballast Gone! UP sent in Work Gangs and Ballast Trains and work began this Morning! #21 was 2 Hours Late Out of of Austin with Slow Orders from North of Taylor and just left San Marcos (SMC) 2 + Hours down heading for New Braunfles San Antonio which had Severe Flooding last Night and Today!

On trainorders.com as I Posted earlier, #22 was Shown as being Re-Routed from SAS-Luling-Flatonia-Smithville-Bastrop-Elgin-Hearn to Longview with a Scheduled Arrival Time into LVW of Midnight!!! :eek:

Test Bookings for #22 to CHI for Tomorrow 11/01 show No Availability/SOLD OUT until Sat 11/02!! The East Texas Trackwork is to resume Nov. 8-18 and Finish Up Nov. 21 and 22 per the Current UP Schedule! As is said, YMMV

"Today is the Last Day of the #22/#422 Detour to LVW via East Texas until Nov. 8-18 and Nov. 21/22 when the Ongoing Trackwork is Supposed to be finished between LVW and Dallas! #21/#421 has not had to Detour "

Thanks for that info. Will 21 detour Nov 8-18. My first Eagle trip, and just my luck it is Nov 10. They have me holding a bus ticket from Dallas to LVW.

"Today is the Last Day of the #22/#422 Detour to LVW via East Texas until Nov. 8-18 and Nov. 21/22 when the Ongoing Trackwork is Supposed to be finished between LVW and Dallas! #21/#421 has not had to Detour "

Thanks for that info. Will 21 detour Nov 8-18. My first Eagle trip, and just my luck it is Nov 10. They have me holding a bus ticket from Dallas to LVW.
#21 is the South Bound Eagle and doesnt do the Detour, it Runs from LVW to Dallas on the Regular UP Routing!

The Detour for #22 begins in Taylor, but anyone holding Tickets for Stations between Temple and Mineola is Bustituted! Buses load in Austin, Temple, McGregor (Cleburne is Skipped???, you must go to Ft. Worth to Catch the Bus)Ft. Worth, Dallas and Mineola to LVW. Looks like youll be on a Bus if youre riding from DAL-LVW on the 10th!! :(

Yesterdays #22 seems to have Vanished since it's shown as a "Service Disruption" but No Information is available about what happened to it after the Detour from the Detour Route due to Flooding in Central Texas yesterday???? :help:

#21 is the South Bound Eagle and doesnt do the Detour, it Runs from LVW to Dallas on the Regular UP Routing!

The Detour for #22 begins in Taylor, but anyone holding Tickets for Stations between Temple and Mineola is Bustituted! Buses load in Austin, Temple, McGregor (Cleburne is Skipped???, you must go to Ft. Worth to Catch the Bus)Ft. Worth, Dallas and Mineola to LVW. Looks like youll be on a Bus if youre riding from DAL-LVW on the 10th!! :(

Yesterdays #22 seems to have Vanished since it's shown as a "Service Disruption" but No Information is available about what happened to it after the Detour from the Detour Route due to Flooding in Central Texas yesterday???? :help:
Yeah, that's what I meant; I am on the northbound 22 from Dallas on the 10th. Just my luck. Well, if things are on time, should not be too bad a bus ride, and that train will look nice in Longview. It just has to stop raining for a while!

Frustrates me when Amtrak leaves us in the dark like with yesterday's 22. You would think someone could take 5 minutes to put some information on the web site.

Just booked my trip for 11/11 on the TE from AUS-LVW and a bus back the next morning to HOS. :)

I am really looking forward to riding this rare mileage :wub: .

On trainorders.com as I Posted earlier, #22 was Shown as being Re-Routed from SAS-Luling-Flatonia-Smithville-Bastrop-Elgin-Hearn to Longview with a Scheduled Arrival Time into LVW of Midnight!!! :eek:
Given that reroute, why not the direct Flatonia-Giddings-Caldwell-Hearne route? Strange!

Given that reroute, why not the direct Flatonia-Giddings-Caldwell-Hearne route? Strange!
Ah, trying to still serve Taylor, I guess... might have been easier to bus passengers from Taylor, but maybe Amtrak can't scrape up any more buses given the rest of the detours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back