Texas Eagle and Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning a trip in late Oct from San Antonio to LA. Amtrak seems to offer a choice of the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle, I think. What is the difference, which is better?

There is no difference between the two, they are the same train west of San Antonio.

In fact, technically the Texas Eagle ends in San Antonio. However one sleeping car and one coach from the Texas Eagle are added to the rear of the Sunset Limited when it arrives in San Antonio, thereby allowing passengers from the Texas Eagle to continue on to LA.

I do want to warn you ejeep that the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle are prone to many delays including late arrival and departures. This is due to the host railroad, Union Pacific, over which the Sunset Limted/Texas Eagle travel over. The Union Pacific is known for extremely poor distpatching of trains and large quanties of rail traffic and congestions. While I hate to say it, you should plan accordingly and expect the train to be 8-12 hours late departing San Antonio and arriving into Los Angeles.

What does that cronic lateness do to ridership? Do they have enough passengers, still, to justify keeping the train going?

Just curious.

Yup. It's funny I had a conversation with a Conductor a few weeks ago and he said, "The scary thing is no matter how late we are the people still ride the trains. Any other form of transportation couldn't get away with this (explitive). Yet somehow, someway Amtrak manages to do it year in, year out."

battalion51 said:
..."The scary thing is no matter how late we are the people still ride the trains. Any other form of transportation couldn't get away with this (explitive). Yet somehow, someway Amtrak manages to do it year in, year out."
So true it's priceless. That statement should be Amtrak's slogan! :lol:

While technically the "Texas Eagle" and "Sunset Limited" in that context are the same train, I'd strongly advise booking a trip in the Sunset Limited (trains 1/2) portion (if you are travelling sleeper, in coach it won't matter as space isn't assigned until boarding). Also, book early so you can get a room in the "30" car. In the event of an equipment shortage, or a change in equipment assignments that leads to a sleeping car line being blanked, the higher numbered lines go out first. The 30 car would be the safest.

There has been a lot of talk about possibly changing the Sunset's consist, and/or cancelling the Texas Eagle run-through cars, which is why I suggest this.

Thanks, ya'll. Guess we just need to factor in an extra day or two. What do you think of the standard sleeper room on this route?

Guest_ejeep said:
Thanks, ya'll. Guess we just need to factor in an extra day or two. What do you think of the standard sleeper room on this route?
Well any sleeper is always preferable to coach, in my opinion. It's far nicer to have a private room vs. a coach seat.

In addtion, having a sleeper means that all your meals are included in the price of the ticket, provided you take them in the dinning car. Additionally the bathrooms see far less traffic than do the coach bathrooms, plus you have access to a shower. In coach there is no access to a shower.

Now don't expect the Ritz here either, the standard room isn't huge by any shape of the imagination. There is very limited room for luggage within the room, especially when the beds are down. You can find the demensions of the room over at Amtak's site here. You can also take a virtual tour by clicking here.

Guest_ejeep said:
Thanks, ya'll.  Guess we just need to factor in an extra day or two.  What do you think of the standard sleeper room on this route?
Aloha

I rode the SSL from Orlando to LA a few years ago. I choose the delux room because it was only an extra 100.00 over the standard, which I have had on other trains. I found that I prefer the standard room better. This may be a result of the way the bed is in the room. in the standard you sleep along the side of the car and cal see out the window as you fall asleep. Also the rocking motion was more plesant , like in a baby cradle. While in the delux room I was unable to see out when in the bed. The bathroom/shower was way to small and uncomfortable for me. I admitt I am overweight, 300lb and 6 foot tall. The standard room and comunity shower were much better and the awake time is spent in the lounge or diner. The scenery and company of the riders was AWSOME. :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

A shocker, this trip in November 200? was on time (almost 2 hours late to LA :rolleyes: ). I enjoyed it so much a couple of hours more would have been fun :D with credit to the crew also :D

Well I'm just under 6 foot tall and only weigh around 160, however I never take a shower in the deluxe room. Even though the shower is right there, I'll still walk down stairs to the larger roomier public shower. Both for the extra room to move, plus the water pressure and temperature is usually better downstairs.

I do love however, having the bathroom right there and not needing to walk down the hall. That's why generally if I'm in a Superliner, I get the deluxe room. On a Viewliner, which has a toilet in the room, I'll generally opt for the standard room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back