Texas Eagle CHI - SAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I tried calling Amtrak, but got tired of waiting to speak to someone, since our trip is a way away. Let me ask you good and smart folks out there. We have a trip to San Antonio. When I open my app and look at our trip it says, "Track work affects TE Trains 21/421 and 22". The TE is to stop in Fort Worth and bus the passengers to San Antonio. Then it shows the dates. But the only date that concerns us is October 3rd, 2023, for trains 21/421. We will leave CHI on the TE 21 on October 5th. It's the closeness of the days that has me worried. Do you think I should worry about having to get off and transfer to a bus, or are the days far enough apart that we won't be transferring to a bus? Thanks for your input.

So you are concerned they won't complete the work on Oct3 and it might continue another two days?

I don't know if anyone knows what exactly they are doing then and so it might be hard to predict, but you could check back when the date is closer and see if there is more information available then.

So you are concerned they won't complete the work on Oct3 and it might continue another two days?

I don't know if anyone knows what exactly they are doing then and so it might be hard to predict, but you could check back when the date is closer and see if there is more information available then.
Not really worried about being completed. From what Im reading it seems as if they are only doing work on certain days, but anything can go wrong at any time to cause a delay. Here is the text from Amtrak.

"Track Work Affects Texas Eagle Trains 21/421 and 22
Effective Select Mondays and Wednesdays April 24 - October 4, 2023
Due to track work being performed by Union Pacific, schedule changes impact Texas Eagle Trains 21/421 and 22 on select Mondays and Wednesdays, April 24 through October 4, as outlined below. Schedule times listed on Amtrak.com have been updated to reflect these changes.
April 23, June 27, September 10, and October 3
Train 21, which normally operates between Chicago and San Antonio, will terminate at Fort Worth, with alternate transportation provided via Bus 3021 between Fort Worth and San Antonio, making all intermediate stops.
Train 421, which normally operates between Chicago and Los Angeles, will originate at San Antonio.
April 24, June 28, September 11, and October 4
Train 22, which normally operates between San Antonio and Chicago, will originate at Fort Worth, with alternate transportation provided via Bus 3022 between San Antonio and Fort Worth, making all intermediate stops."

So if Union Pacific is doing the work it might be that Amtrak will just have to hope UP gets everything done on time. They very well might, I've read UP is capable of completing repairs very quickly .

Back