Texas Eagle - North TX Disruption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexRail

Train Attendant
There are 2 other posts about this but did not find the answer to my question.

I received a phone call today regarding my reservations from FTW to CHI around the middle of January. We have a bedroom round-trip but the agent informed me that we would have to board a bus to Longview and a bus from Longview to FTW on the way back. I would just as soon drive myself rather than ride the bus but an even better idea would be if I could board south of FTW such as Austin or San Antonio. I called Amtrak back to ask about this and was told that this was not possible. We would be getting $120 back as a partial refund for the room but would get no refund for the railfare portion (even if we drive to Longview ourselves!)

So my first question is what happens to the TE when there is a planned track disruption? In this case, would there just be 2 #22's, one for the Longview-CHI portion and one for the San Antonio-FTW portion and vice versa for train 21?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then it looks like our only option is to hop on the train in Longview and that is the end of it. My other theory is that the TE will still travel to Longview, bypassing most of the cities in between. If this is the case, then I should be able to hop on the train somewhere south of FTW right? The agent told me that this was not possible but wanted to ask here since it there is a lot of Amtrak knowledge here. I am very familiar with the Texas portion of the TE and I have noticed that I sometimes know more than the agent on the phone so thought I would ask here to see if there is any way we could stay on the train that is going to Longview from San Antonio. Any knowledge on this is appreciated.

There IS NO train going from Longview to San Antonio. The trains are being turned in Longview and Fort Worth to become the train in the opposite direction. The bus acts as a 'bridge' between the two 'islands' of Eagle service.

There IS NO train going from Longview to San Antonio. The trains are being turned in Longview and Fort Worth to become the train in the opposite direction. The bus acts as a 'bridge' between the two 'islands' of Eagle service.
Okay, thanks NY Penn and for answering so quick! I thought that maybe the train went an alternate route to bypass DFW. An alternate route would be unique and for some reason, being on an Amtrak train traveling through areas where Amtrak does not normally travel is intriguing to me.

As NY Penn said, there is no way that you will be able to travel on a train from Mineola and south/west to Longview and north/east by train. You might as well take the bus, it won't be that big of a deal. But wait until the bridge goes into effect and read a trip report of the bus before making the final decision.

Depending on how many pax are on your bus, it probably won't be too bad of a ride, especially since the intermediate stops are all pretty much on the highway the bus will likely take. And these will be nicer Motor Coaches and not the Long Pooch.

Depending on how many pax are on your bus, it probably won't be too bad of a ride, especially since the intermediate stops are all pretty much on the highway the bus will likely take. And these will be nicer Motor Coaches and not the Long Pooch.
Long Pooch? I remember taking the bus from Longview to Dallas due to track work in the late 80s or early 90s. There were not very many people on the bus so we had plenty of room but it was not as "nice" as the few Greyhound buses I've been on. I remember a horribly annoying rattling sound on the bus for 4 hours.

If you drive from FTW to LVW you have planty of free parking at LVW station. That is something to consider..............My birth mom lives there and when I drive out there, I often take Hwy 180 instead of I-20, it is a quite interesting ride that parallels most of the Amtrak route.

In case you're looking for it, US Highway 80 (not 180) runs from Terrell through Mineola and on into Longview. I've chased an Amtrak train or two in my day along Highway 80. Of course, in your situation, I don't think there will be much chasing of anything...

When you get into Longview, turn right on 4th street (by Good Shepherd hospital), go about 4 blocks to Methvin, then right on Mobberly. Amtrak will be on the left just after you pass under the tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify ... if you book a roomette from Chicago to L.A., you still get the roomette on the two trains. You just travel by bus between Longview and Fort Worth, right? Is the San Antonio layover shortened?

Just to clarify ... if you book a roomette from Chicago to L.A., you still get the roomette on the two trains. You just travel by bus between Longview and Fort Worth, right?
Yes, that is my understanding.

Is the San Antonio layover shortened?
By about an hour or so from the looks of things. Not a huge difference in my book.

In case you're looking for it, US Highway 80 (not 180) runs from Terrell through Mineola and on into Longview. I've chased an Amtrak train or two in my day along Highway 80. Of course, in your situation, I don't think there will be much chasing of anything...

When you get into Longview, turn right on 4th street (by Good Shepherd hospital), go about 4 blocks to Methvin, then right on Mobberly. Amtrak will be on the left just after you pass under the tracks.
My mistake, it is State Hwy 180 in most of Tarrant and Dallas counties, US Hwy 180 west of Ft. Worth, and is still US 80 east of Mesquite.

Thanks for the correction. I can't recall if 80 is Cotton or Marshall street in Longview. They are building an intermodal station by the Amtrak station for the LVW bus system and the Dog, IIRC ????

Marshall Avenue, if I recall, in Longview. I went to kollidge about a mile south of there... Cotton Street is the next major E/W street just South of the Depot. It connects to Loop 281 on the West. May be a bit more complicated, but if you make a right onto Loop 281 (Harrison?) then hang a left at Cotton behind the old Stroughs brewery, it'll take you right to Mobberly where the Depot is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back