Texas Eagle Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Train Attendant
Going South-West on the TE, what are dining arrangements after hook-up with the Sunset Ltd., still cc diner or dining car?

At San Antonio layover, how much loss of HEP is usual since I use a CPAP. Also assume train is out in yard somewhere and not at station.

Thanks.

Headed southwest, two cars—one coach and one sleeper—are cut off of the Texas Eagle and attached to the Sunset Limited after it arrives. West of San Antonio, the combined train uses the Sunset Limited's full diner and Sightseer Lounge cars for food service.

Expect electrical power to be interrupted for 10-15 minutes at most. They don't rush the transfer, but they do try to minimize the time off HEP. There are "shore power" connections in the station, so they may cut off HEP for a few minutes to separate the cars, then hook them back up to station power until the Sunset arrives, and then disconnect power again to join the through cars to the westbound Sunset.

When I was on the SL/TE (422/421 Sleepers) in December. The switching between trains was accomplished on the station tracks. Monitor on AAR-22 160.440.

On the SL, a regular Superliner Dining Car is used.

Power outages occured several times but were not very long in duration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the food is better on the SL compared to the TE. You should be OK with your CPAP, just sleep through it. Here's a video BTW:

When I was on the SL/TE (422/421 Sleepers) in December. The switching between trains was accomplished on the station tracks. Monitor on AAR-22 160.440.On the SL, a regular Superliner Dining Car is used.

Aloha

When I did this trip, several passengers from my sleeper got off and were standing by the door. As the new SCA boarded she informed us that at 9:00pm she was going to lock the door and we would not be able to board until the morning boarding. I decided I would rather sleep than spend the night on the platform. I do not remember losing power, but I know we did.

At San Antonio layover, how much loss of HEP is usual since I use a CPAP. Also assume train is out in yard somewhere and not at station.
&
Expect electrical power to be interrupted for 10-15 minutes at most.
&
There is a yard nearby but as mentioned previously the switching all takes place near the station. A loss of power lasting 10-15 minutes in total is a best case scenario. Your power outage can also last upwards of 30-45 minutes depending on the situation. The lower ambient noise due to the loss of HVAC combined with the bumping of the cars can easily wake anyone who is not a sound sleeper.

When I did this trip, several passengers from my sleeper got off and were standing by the door. As the new SCA boarded she informed us that at 9:00pm she was going to lock the door and we would not be able to board until the morning boarding. I decided I would rather sleep than spend the night on the platform. I do not remember losing power, but I know we did.
The most you'd have to wait these days would be from 10:00PM until 2:30AM, or about 4 1/2 hours, assuming everything was on-time. Last call in Texas is 2:00AM so if you really needed a place to hang out there would be an option or two besides the platform. That being said I've always just stayed on the train and went back to sleep once the switching was over.

I'm going to be doing this in July and plan to spend the layover at the Riverwalk. When I came Northbound on the TE out of SAS we had to stand in the kindergarten line even though we were in a sleeper. I assume this will be the same for boarding the SL at 2:30am?

We ended up just having a seat and waiting for everyone else to board so we didn't have to stand in line for half an hour.

I'm going to be doing this in July and plan to spend the layover at the Riverwalk. When I came Northbound on the TE out of SAS we had to stand in the kindergarten line even though we were in a sleeper. I assume this will be the same for boarding the SL at 2:30am?
We ended up just having a seat and waiting for everyone else to board so we didn't have to stand in line for half an hour.
You didnt indicate if your Sleeper was on #421 which will be Hooked to the Rear of #1, but if so, You shouldnt have to Wait @ the Red Poles with Coachies to Reboard! You will Meet the New SCA before you Leave the Sleeper to Go to the Riverwalk and you can just Walk Down the Platform and Reboard! If you are Switching to the #1 Sleeper in SAS on the the Front of the Train and have an e-ticket (Not Advised!), you would have to get in the Line to have the Conductor Scan your e-ticket since SCAs no Longer can Pull Tickets! If youre going to the Riverwalk take Plastic or Lots of Cash, it's Pricey, Crowded,Hot in the summer etc. but Worth a Visit! I Recommend the Iron Cactus for Great Mexican Food and Ritas!($20 a Mouth with Drinks , not bad for the Riverwalk) You may want to take a Cab back to the Station @ 2AM when the Joints close down, the Panhandlers and Drunks work E. Commerce Street between the River and I37 (it is Safe, Lots of Police too!)while lots of Folks are heading for the 24 Hour Dennys on Commerce which gets Very Busy after Midnight! Dont wonder away from Downtown North or South after Midnight, it's getting Lots better in SA but still Lots of Crime, Gangs etc. like Any Large City! Id compare it to New Orleans when you get away from the French Quarter and Garden District! (Devils Advocate aka Texas Sunset might disagree! :giggle: )

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be grabbing 421 out of FTW. Very glad to know we wont have to wait in line to reboard!

We did a RT OKC to SAS on a 4 day weekend for New Years 2012. Was impressed with the police presence and felt safe walking to our hotel from the station at 10PM. If we close the bars down on our layover I think the cab sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back