Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DryCreek

Lead Service Attendant
Howdy Folks,

I have a few questions for y'all. I have booked the wife and I for a little getaway vaction in late May. We board the SB TE in Cleburne, TX for through connections on the SL to Tuscon via San Antonio, & return. We have booked a roomette each way.

My questions are:

What consist should we expect for this trip? It looks like we should expect a CCC for dining service on the SB segment, but will be also have a Superliner Sightseer Lounge car too? While most people don't find that stretch of Texas very exciting, I do! It is pretty much the area my Grandpa and Uncle engineered/"conductored" on - except a little more eastern at times (think Teague, Mexia). I would hate not having the views offered in a SSL for that leg.

Where will our sleeper be in the consist? We are booked on car 2130/003 on the 421 and 2230/013 on the 422. Will we be the last car on both segments? I hope so, I have seen some very interesting videos posted on youtube that were shot from that back window.

Amenities - I have read that many of the on-board amenities have been reduced or eliminated in the name of fiscal restrain. What can we expect for dining service. Do they still have the tablecloths and fresh flowers? How about the silverware and real plates? Newspapers in the morning? Those little welcome gift bags in the room?

We hope that this turns out to be interesting and fun. We tried the cruise thing from Galveston, and the wife didn't have the great time she thought she would. She got bored easily seeing the same old ocean (Gulf, actually). I tried to tell her - after six years in the Navy, all cruises weren't very exciting. If this works out, we may try some other itineraries. I am just puzzled and flummoxed why there are no decent connections from the TE to NOL. That would be a great jumping-off point for the Crescent or the CONOL. I think that she really, really wants to do the Empire Builder. Now that my sister and her husband have committed to moving to Washington state, that may give us a reason to fly to CHI and take the EB westbound, with a return flight from SeaTac. Unless we can somehow finagle enough time to go north on the TE and then connect. It is hard to get good help watching the dogs and setting out hay for the cattle/watching the momma cows during calving season. Our son tries, but his schedule is just as unpredictable as he is.

When we were first married and living in Newport News VA, we used to take the train up to DC on weekends. I remember the AmFleet coaches being reasonably comfortable, and the Union Station being amazing then (1988 or 1989). After our son was born we started into the Disney routine. I still get permission for us to visit WDW or DL about every 5 years.

We've done LA to Temple round trips (sleeper) twice on the SL/TE .On the Sunset Limited portion, the 421/422 sleeper will be on the rear of the train with its "railfan" window. I've spent a fair amount of time back there on our trips. On this portion, you will have a walk of a few cars to the diner. On the Texas Eagle portion, the 421 sleeper was within the train while on 422 in the other direction, it was on rear of the train. The Sunset Limited portion will have a Superliner Diner while the Texas Eagle uses the Cross Country Cafe. Both trains have the Sightseer Lounge car.

I enjoyed the scenery along the route.

On both trips, I've had a good experience with the crew and enjoyed the trips. Because of mobility issues with my wife, she couldn't make the walk to the diner so, we had our meals in our room. All of our SCA's were very accommodating for obtaining our meals and that was reflected in our tips as we neared the end of our trips.

Search this this forum and you will read more about the SL/TE. I've made several posts myself including a description of the car switching in San Antonio. in the meantime, here are a couple of Flickr albums from my two trips...

August 2013 ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157635985530103/

December 2012 ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157632626569620/

Somewhere around McGregor, to the west, is the house that was used for one of the "slasher" films, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or another one. Never noticed it until a Trails and Rails docent pointed it out to us. And there may some "moon" visible around Austin. :)

Enjoy your trip!

(PS: I am friends with the Cleburne Police Chief, who is now filling in as City Manager. A good and capable man.)

Howdy Folks,

I have a few questions for y'all. I have booked the wife and I for a little getaway vaction in late May. We board the SB TE in Cleburne, TX for through connections on the SL to Tuscon via San Antonio, & return. We have booked a roomette each way.

My questions are:

What consist should we expect for this trip? It looks like we should expect a CCC for dining service on the SB segment, but will be also have a Superliner Sightseer Lounge car too? While most people don't find that stretch of Texas very exciting, I do! It is pretty much the area my Grandpa and Uncle engineered/"conductored" on - except a little more eastern at times (think Teague, Mexia). I would hate not having the views offered in a SSL for that leg.

Where will our sleeper be in the consist? We are booked on car 2130/003 on the 421 and 2230/013 on the 422. Will we be the last car on both segments? I hope so, I have seen some very interesting videos posted on youtube that were shot from that back window.

Amenities - I have read that many of the on-board amenities have been reduced or eliminated in the name of fiscal restrain. What can we expect for dining service. Do they still have the tablecloths and fresh flowers? How about the silverware and real plates? Newspapers in the morning? Those little welcome gift bags in the room?

We hope that this turns out to be interesting and fun. We tried the cruise thing from Galveston, and the wife didn't have the great time she thought she would. She got bored easily seeing the same old ocean (Gulf, actually). I tried to tell her - after six years in the Navy, all cruises weren't very exciting. If this works out, we may try some other itineraries. I am just puzzled and flummoxed why there are no decent connections from the TE to NOL. That would be a great jumping-off point for the Crescent or the CONOL. I think that she really, really wants to do the Empire Builder. Now that my sister and her husband have committed to moving to Washington state, that may give us a reason to fly to CHI and take the EB westbound, with a return flight from SeaTac. Unless we can somehow finagle enough time to go north on the TE and then connect. It is hard to get good help watching the dogs and setting out hay for the cattle/watching the momma cows during calving season. Our son tries, but his schedule is just as unpredictable as he is.

When we were first married and living in Newport News VA, we used to take the train up to DC on weekends. I remember the AmFleet coaches being reasonably comfortable, and the Union Station being amazing then (1988 or 1989). After our son was born we started into the Disney routine. I still get permission for us to visit WDW or DL about every 5 years.
I love the TE....we make the entire trip either to or from Chicago to LA at least once a year. And I too don't get bored with the Texas scenery! In case you didn't realize....the 2230/13 roomette is on the lower level. It's worth a shot to call and see if you could be moved (if that's important to you.)

Since the Eagle is my home train, I ride it frequently, and the Sunset Ltd was my first Sleeper ride as a kid!

I agree that its an interesting route and as TrainLoverJoy said, you may want to call and see if you can move upstairs on #422 to Room #2-#10 since you like the rail fan window! If any rooms are available it won't cost you anymore, if the agent tells you this, ask for a supervisor to MODIFY, Not Cancel, your rez!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the Eagle is my home train, I ride it frequently, and the Sunset Ltd was my first Sleeper ride as a kid!

I agree that its an interesting route and as TrainLoverJoy said, you may want to call and see if you can move upstairs on #422 to Room #2-#10 since you like the rail fan window! If any rooms are available it won't cost you anymore, if the agent tells you this, ask for a supervisor to MODIFY, Not Cancel, your rez!
I remember you as the TE "expert".....you answered questions for me on some of my earlier TE trips. Another trip is coming up very soon.....will be leaving L.A. on the TE going all the way to Chicago on May 8

Wave when you roll through Austin! Should be green with the Spring even in West Texas if we get Rain!!
Will do! Took the Eagle round trip Chicago/Tucson last September, and am looking forward to another trip. Lots of daylight, and lots of green in early May!

Wave when you roll through Austin! Should be green with the Spring even in West Texas if we get Rain!!
Will do! Took the Eagle round trip Chicago/Tucson last September, and am looking forward to another trip. Lots of daylight, and lots of green in early May!
As far as being downstairs, I looked on the layout and figured that out, but decided to let the reservation stay as written. I want to be able to objectively determine which one is better. I would guess without a doubt for scenic views, the upper roomettes are better. But, I have also read that some prefer a lower roomette due to less traffic as other passengers pass through your car. I have also heard that some enjoy having the pick of three restrooms and being closer to the shower. Someone else posted that the swaying motion may be less too - although there could be more noise from the trucks and passing crossing bells. I am excited to find out and make comparisons.

Tucson - how was Tucson? That is where we are headed. We have two nights lodging already booked at the HOtel Congress. It was chosen due to its proximity to the Amtrak station. After carefully reading reviwes on the hotel, I made sure that we were booked into the (supposedly) quieter Cactus Garden section. We may take them up on the earplugs offered at checking anyway - just to be safe. Since we will be there midweek, I would assume that the more energetic parties won't be in progress. It looks like they have the new trolley up and running, and the day passes are very reasonable. We plan to ride from end to end and jump off at a few landmarks and "touristy" things that I have found online. Dining looks like it will be pretty interesting too!

Diners - in the CCC, do they still have tablecloths, flowers and use real cutlery and plates, or do they use disposable plastic tableware?

Posting - hey, I have noticed that there isn't a spell checker to toggle on and off - or at least I haven't found one yet. I like spell checkers. If I'm not watching my fingers closely there's just no telling what they'll type!

We've done LA to Temple round trips (sleeper) twice on the SL/TE .On the Sunset Limited portion, the 421/422 sleeper will be on the rear of the train with its "railfan" window. I've spent a fair amount of time back there on our trips. On this portion, you will have a walk of a few cars to the diner. On the Texas Eagle portion, the 421 sleeper was within the train while on 422 in the other direction, it was on rear of the train. The Sunset Limited portion will have a Superliner Diner while the Texas Eagle uses the Cross Country Cafe. Both trains have the Sightseer Lounge car.

I enjoyed the scenery along the route.

On both trips, I've had a good experience with the crew and enjoyed the trips. Because of mobility issues with my wife, she couldn't make the walk to the diner so, we had our meals in our room. All of our SCA's were very accommodating for obtaining our meals and that was reflected in our tips as we neared the end of our trips.

Search this this forum and you will read more about the SL/TE. I've made several posts myself including a description of the car switching in San Antonio. in the meantime, here are a couple of Flickr albums from my two trips...

August 2013 ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157635985530103/

December 2012 ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157632626569620/
Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I expected from reading other posts and trip reports. I really loved the station at Temple. We dropped by once and took a look around after one of my appointments up at the "Big Hospital".

Of all of your pictures, I love the ones showing triple-track, with carloads of new prestressed concrete sleepers and gondolas with shiny new ballast. You can sure tell which tracks had been recently overhauled!

On the way to SAS you'll eat Dinner in the CCC. Service begins after the Temple stop, the LSA takes Reservations, ask your SCA when you board (500pm is first call) with Austin being last call for Dinner for boarding passengers.

You'll have a Paper Table Cloth, Plasticware dishes and stainless utensils wrapped in a Cloth Napkin! No flowers!

On your return on #422, Breakfast will be served after you leave San Antonio ( first come, first served) with last call for Sleeper pax in Austin.Paper place mats, plastic dishes with stainless utensils! The Omelettes are usually very good ( includes meat if you like) as is the Continental Breakfast!

Lunch begins after the Temple stop, first come, first served!

This Route has some really good SCAs and some of the Diner Crews including the chefs are first rate, especially LSAs Luscious, Brian and Tony! Hopefully you will get a good crew!!

And the Historic Congress Hotel in Tucson is an interesting place with a nice Bar and Patio Cafe when the weather is nice! ( I havent stayed there, just visited) Also there is a very good cafe in the Amtrak Station as well as a Convienence/Bakery store!

Look forward to your trip report, have a ball!!

As far as being downstairs, I looked on the layout and figured that out, but decided to let the reservation stay as written. I want to be able to objectively determine which one is better. I would guess without a doubt for scenic views, the upper roomettes are better. But, I have also read that some prefer a lower roomette due to less traffic as other passengers pass through your car. I have also heard that some enjoy having the pick of three restrooms and being closer to the shower. Someone else posted that the swaying motion may be less too - although there could be more noise from the trucks and passing crossing bells. I am excited to find out and make comparisons.

Tucson - how was Tucson? That is where we are headed. We have two nights lodging already booked at the HOtel Congress. It was chosen due to its proximity to the Amtrak station. After carefully reading reviwes on the hotel, I made sure that we were booked into the (supposedly) quieter Cactus Garden section. We may take them up on the earplugs offered at checking anyway - just to be safe. Since we will be there midweek, I would assume that the more energetic parties won't be in progress. It looks like they have the new trolley up and running, and the day passes are very reasonable. We plan to ride from end to end and jump off at a few landmarks and "touristy" things that I have found online. Dining looks like it will be pretty interesting too!

Diners - in the CCC, do they still have tablecloths, flowers and use real cutlery and plates, or do they use disposable plastic tableware?

Posting - hey, I have noticed that there isn't a spell checker to toggle on and off - or at least I haven't found one yet. I like spell checkers. If I'm not watching my fingers closely there's just no telling what they'll type!
We loved Tucson, but we didn't stay there the whole week. We drove 1200 miles altogether going as far north as Monument Valley and as far south as Nogales......seeing everything inbetween.....Grand Canyon, Sedona, Painted Desert, Tombstone, etc. Great trip.....will be doing it again in the next year or so I think.

For those who like model trains, there is an HO layout in Cornville (near Sedona, where the layout owner lives) that has 5,000 FEET of track. There is a short video of a recent operating session at tinyurl.com/vytovideo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back