Texas Eagle/Sunset Ltd Connection EAST

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spidersfan351

Train Attendant
Need to make a quick decision here! We live in Richmond, where Ms. Irene has done a number on Amtrak service. Yesterday, I moved back our RVR-SAS trip one day, assuming (largely based on the opinions of the AMTK employees I spoke with) that the Capitol Ltd would NOT run today, and I was able to grab the last roomette headed west tomorrow, 8/30. We are connecting in CHI to 21 now, instead of 421, bound for SAS, arriving 10:55pm 9/1/11.

Here's the deal - I have a reservation (AGR) from SAS to WAS for 11:55pm, Thursday 9/1. Obviously, I now arrive 2 hours before this, instead of 26 hours ahead of schedule. Since I am on separate reservations, I know this is not a "guaranteed connection", at least for me. My question is, when the Eagle runs late, do they hold the eastbound Sunset if the delay is under an hour or so to allow the guaranteed passengers from Dallas, Austin, etc to connect to Houston or NOL? If they do, I feel okay about this. If not, I may need to adjust, and perhaps take the CONOL instead.

It seems the Eagle is very capable of running 2-3 hours late into SAS. I don't want to get caught 5 minutes before a blackout day trying to return to WAS! Any wisdom appreciated!

Need to make a quick decision here! We live in Richmond, where Ms. Irene has done a number on Amtrak service. Yesterday, I moved back our RVR-SAS trip one day, assuming (largely based on the opinions of the AMTK employees I spoke with) that the Capitol Ltd would NOT run today, and I was able to grab the last roomette headed west tomorrow, 8/30. We are connecting in CHI to 21 now, instead of 421, bound for SAS, arriving 10:55pm 9/1/11.

Here's the deal - I have a reservation (AGR) from SAS to WAS for 11:55pm, Thursday 9/1. Obviously, I now arrive 2 hours before this, instead of 26 hours ahead of schedule. Since I am on separate reservations, I know this is not a "guaranteed connection", at least for me. My question is, when the Eagle runs late, do they hold the eastbound Sunset if the delay is under an hour or so to allow the guaranteed passengers from Dallas, Austin, etc to connect to Houston or NOL? If they do, I feel okay about this. If not, I may need to adjust, and perhaps take the CONOL instead.

It seems the Eagle is very capable of running 2-3 hours late into SAS. I don't want to get caught 5 minutes before a blackout day trying to return to WAS! Any wisdom appreciated!
The Eagles have been having real OTP problems in Texas due to Freight congestion on the UP lines, especially between the DFW area and East Texas (Mineola)and between Taylor and SAS!

You can call Amtrak (have your info ready) and see about Linking your two reservations, this would guarantee the Connection between #21 and #2 in SAS. Alan mentioned that if #21 was running really Late there is a possibility that you could be Bustituted from Longview to HOS to catch #2 with a Long layover in HOS! :( This is not the desired way, so I suggest you go with your thought of Connecting with the CONO#59 and go CHI-NOL, this would be a Guaranteed Connection that should be no problem! (And you could visit a little in CHI and use the Metro Lounge while waiting for #59!)Not much exciting to see between CHI and SAS, but in all honesty not much between CHI and NOL either!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back