Texas Eagle Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
All;

I have a trip scheduled in a few weeks to take the Eagle from Fort Worth to St. Louis. This is a new route for me, and I wanted to run a few questions past those of you who may have taken this trip in recent times. When I've searched the boards, most of what I have read goes back a couple of years before all the changes to food services and all.

Here's what I'm wondering:

- What's the normal consist for the train?

- If I board in Ft. Worth, will I be there for lunch, or should I eat before boarding?

- How full does this train typically run? I'm used to sellouts on the East-West trains, does this one also typically run very full?

- How good is the timekeeping on the route? I recall I am scheduled in St Louis around 7am, is that typically achieved?

- Any other thoughts, things to look out for, etc...?

Thanks for the info!

Mike

Normal consist of #22( subject to change on whims of SAS Yard Crew):

P-42, Transdorm, Revenue Sleeper,CCC( Diner),SSL, 2-3 Coaches. ( if it's a #422 Day, there will be another LAX Coach and Sleeper on the end of the train that are switched in San Antonio off #2).

Of course one never knows about Passenger loads and Time Keeping,( UP Freight traffic is heavy between San Antonio and Taylor and between Dallas and Popular Bluff) but generally the Coaches aren't overlly full on this Route and the Sleepers generally are close to Full or Sold Out on most days.

Lunch starts after the Temple stop and is over @ Ft. Worth since the Eagle arrives around 2Pm if on time.

Dinner reservations will be taken by the LSA after leaving Dallas and first serving is usually 5:30pm after the Mineola stop and before Longview.

Breakfast will start @ 630am before St. Louis.

This train has several excellent Diner Crews and Chefs, as well as OBS, but a couple of the Crews are Chicago 'tude types and/or lazy do nothings. Hopefully you'll get one of the good Crews!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the summer 2015 consist had the Sleeper on the rear 7 days a week. (Transdorm, Coach, Coach, SSL, DC, Coach, Revenue Sleeper). 2220 is the sleeper number for 22 and 2230 for 422 even though there is only one revenue sleeper on all runs. Lunch ends before Ft. Worth, Breakfast starts before St. Louis. There is a buffer going into STL so if on time, could be 30 minutes early.

Pretty sure the Eagle only runs with a transition sleeper and one full sleeper. There have been time when the sleeper has been put up behind the transition sleeper, but seems it is almost always in the tail end.

I looked at my ticket and I'm ticketed on train 422, car 2230 room 9, so I'm guessing I'm on the full sleeper at the end of the hall. I'm traveling outbound on a Sunday and I had two options to choose from on trains, so I'm assuming I'm on a day that the Sunset hands off cars to the Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back