Texas Eagle vs. NOL-SAS portion of Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manderson

Service Attendant
Looks like the new schedule for the Sunset Limited is allowing a couple of valid two-zone AGR routings that haven't been available in the past. For some reason CHI to SEA via the TE/SL/CS is now popping up, and of course SEA to NOL now works via CS/SL.

My question in pondering the routes: would I be better off with scenery on the TE (CHI-SAS ), or the eastern part of the SL (NOL-SAS)? I've never ridden either of these two routes, and hope to bag at least one of them with my next trip. Also, which direction would be best?

I've ridden the CZ and EB several times each and am looking to bag some new ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the new schedule for the Sunset Limited is allowing a couple of valid two-zone AGR routings that haven't been available in the past. For some reason CHI to SEA via the TE/SL/CS is now popping up, and of course SEA to NOL now works via CS/SL.

My question in pondering the routes: would I be better off with scenery on the TE (CHI-SAS ), or the eastern part of the SL (NOL-SAS)? I've never ridden either of these two routes, and hope to bag at least one of them with my next trip. Also, which direction would be best?

I've ridden the CZ and EB several times each and am looking to bag some new ones.
:hi: While Both are Nice 2 Zone Trips, both Routes have their Pluses and Minsuses when it comes to Scenery!Personally Id say take the CHI-SEA Route via the TE#421/CS#14.(more train Time and you get to use the Lounge in CHI and LAX!!)!!) Westbound youll go through the Desert in West Texas/NewMexio/Arizon and California, but St. Louis and the Mississippi River/Dallas/Ft.Worth/ and Austin :p are worth seeing! In West Texas the Pecos High Bridge,the Davis Mountains, Alpine and Pisano Pass (Highest Spot between NOL and LAX on this Route!) El Paso and the Mexican Border are nice Sights. Youll now be in Tuscon @ a Better Calling Time but the Arrival into LAX is Very Early! :( That does gives you time to go to Philppes for Breakfast and Catch the Wonderful Coast Starlight to SEA with Daytime Running along the Coast and Thru the Cascades! :cool:

The Best Scenery between St. Louis and Texarkana on the Eagle is @ Night (the Ozarks) and the Sunset Route(#2) between SAS and Houston isnt anything to write Home about! You would see Houston on the new Schedule in Daylight and the "New" Beaumont Station :lol: , but would get into NOL @ Night taking away the effect of Crossing the Huey Long Bridge across the Mississippi! The Best Direction to take the Sunset Ltd.(#1)from NOL-LAX is to the West!

With the new eastbound schedule for the Sunset, it looks like it will be daylight all the way from San Antonio (6:25am departure) to at least Schriever, LA (7:03pm departure) and possibly further, especially in the summertime. Also, with a nighttime arrival into New Orleans (9:40pm), you will be able to see the entire city lit up in the distance as you cross the Huey Long Bridge. It is also impressive as you cross the bridge to see all the chemical plants and refineries also lit up along the river. Each one looks like a city in and of itself.

The ride south of Lafayette, LA is a nice one as the train passes through the swamps and small towns of Cajun Country. If you look closely enough, you may just see an alligator or two laying out in the sun along the banks of a bayou.

With the new schedule, westbound, can you still see from the Huey Long Bridge in daylight? How is the view?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would see Houston on the new Schedule in Daylight and the "New" Beaumont Station :lol: , but would get into NOL @ Night taking away the effect of Crossing the Huey Long Bridge across the Mississippi! The Best Direction to take the Sunset Ltd.(#1)from NOL-LAX is to the West!
Crossing the Huey Long at night should actually enhance the experience somewhat. The river will seem to be a bottomless, dark expanse beneath you, enhanced be the lights of the towns, cities, chemical plants, and refineries dotted all along banks of the Mississippi as far as the eye can see in both directions.

Forming the west bank of the river, the town and shipyards of Avondale are immediately adjacent to the bridge, Bridge City is below, and nearby within view are the towns of Waggaman, Luling, Boutte, Westwego, and Marrero. Forming the east bank, the city of Metairie surrounds the bridge and nearby within view are the cities of Elmwood, Harahan, River Ridge, Kenner, and New Orleans itself. Numerous plants and refineries will also be visible in the distance, lit up like cities at night, which would not be easily visible during a daytime crossing of the Huey Long Bridge. Most of these complexes are located to the north of the bridge, with the largest being the Shell Refineries at Norco, LA. Norco is at least ten miles north of the bridge and is visible from that distance at night only.

All of these should illuminate the banks of the Mississippi River for miles in both directions, with the darkness of the river snaking through the vast expanse. Also, an extra thrill will be to see the headlight of the locomotive along the long elevated curves leading up to the bridge and down on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back