Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
I will be riding the Texas Eagle for the first time on Thursday and have a few questions. I am traveling from Chicago to San Antonio in a roomette.

1. My roomette is located in car 2120. Where is this car located on the train?

2. What meals are served on the southbound Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio?

3. What are some of the scenic highlights of this route?

1. My roomette is located in car 2120. Where is this car located on the train?
It's at the end of the train. You can view the listings of car numbers here.

2. What meals are served on the southbound Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio?
Dinner out of Chicago, Breakfast, lunch, & dinner the next day.

Crossing the Mississippi into St. Louis and the Arch.

Not really scenic but as you start out of Dallas, to your right side you can see the grassy knoll where President Kennedy was assassinated. It's right by the tracks.

Between Dallas and Fort Worth, again to your right, you will be able to see the humongous super-expensive Cowboys Stadium.

You'll be on the last car of the train. I enjoy the part between Cleburne and McGregor while you travel through rocky hills and cuts with big cattle ranches on both sides. You'll also cross the Brazos River here. I think the approach into St. Louis, Dallas, and Austin is really nice too.

You should also visit texasealge.com where you can get better station information and download a route specific route guide.

:help:

Not really scenic but as you start out of Dallas, to your right side you can see the grassy knoll where President Kennedy was assassinated. It's right by the tracks.
The "grassy knoll" is the location of the supposed second shooter. Kennedy was in an open car on the street heading west on the street toward the "triple overpass" Lee Harvey Oswald was in one of the upper floors of the Texas (or was it Dallas) School Book Depository Building. This Grassy Knoll shooter is one of many, many conspiracy theories. That Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby who had terminal cancer effectivly closed the doors on deeper investigations, but did do a lot to further conspiracy theories. I will not say much on any of them except that most of them did not and do not hold water.

Between McGregor and Taylor, to the west, you will pass by the house used in filming Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Maybe I am just loco, but I enjoy the lights in Little Rock at night.

There's some fine scenery in Texas. Nice countryside/ranches/farms.

Edit: Oh yeah, you also get the "railfan window" out the back! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Between McGregor and Taylor, to the west, you will pass by the house used in filming Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Maybe I am just loco, but I enjoy the lights in Little Rock at night.
It's just outside of Taylor on the right side heading south. It's not very obvious so you would probably need someone to point it out.

Thanks for all the advice. I am really looking forward to this trip. I have done many Amtrak routes in the past, but never the Texas Eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back