Text Alerts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and I are taking 79 back from Richmond to Greensboro. I received a text message about the train arriving 30 minutes late. I was tracking the train but it was on time to DC, so I was a bit surprised but I assume the engine change was slow. Next thing I know it is on time but I did not get a text saying as much. I checked just as it was time to leave for the station had it been on time. We were basically ready to go and we were a 5 minute drive to the station so not a big deal, but it could have been a disaster.

I am not one to complain about Amtrak often but if there is technology to send out alerts for delays then may I suggest Amtrak also send out a text stating they are back on-time. And I know they have the disclaimer but this would just seem to be good customer service for something that I assume is pretty much automated.

I have a suggestion. Never rely on a single source of information. If the text says the train is running late, assume the text is wrong until proven reasonably accurate.

jb
Actually I was tracking on asm.transitdocs and when I received the text and there was no train 79 to track so I assumed the engine swap was delayed and the text was confirming my other sources. I am both computer and Amtrak savvy enough to know trains run late and can gain some time back and know to check various sources, but not everyone would be aware. I assume the percentage of folks that use more than the Amtrak app is faily low. And I did look at the time it would have been time to leave for the station so no harm done but Amtrak would be better in the customer service area if the communication included information about both delays and gaining back time.

And I have a mea culpa. I could have replied back to the last text with "Update" and it should have continued to send me updates. I still think it should be automatic and one can END the texts for this trip instead of opting in to what could be important information.

My credit card upgrade coupon expired last night at 11:59 PM so I decided to take a quick ride. The Carolinian 79 arrives in Greensboro and then heads to High Point with about 90 minutes of buffer before the Piedmont 78 stops in High Point to head back to Greensboro. And the Carolinian has a business class so I could use the coupon.

I did sign up for text alerts and the Carolinian was indeed late enough to send a few texts about the lateness. I still wish it would not require me to type Update to continue to receive the updates. I signed up for the text messages when I purchased the tickets so I stated my preference at that point in time. A better option would be to continue to send them unless I reply with STOP or END. But the point I want to make is that it worked well and will even work on a feature phone that did not have a web browser like a smartphone has to allow checking websites such as dixielandsoftware or asm.transitdocs. Again, my apologies for my insolence towards Amtrak in the first post in the thread.

On a related note I did get the business class upgrade and made it to the cafe car for some free drinks before I was off the time about 27 minutes later (it should have been a 15 minute ride.) I was not trying to get the exact cost in free drinks for the $12 round trip ticket but I was close enough to feel like it was worth it, when one includes the free waters on the Piedmont. :)

Back