Thank you, Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Midnight_Rider

MERIDIAN, Miss. -- Meridian Mayor John Robert Smith said Wednesday (Aug. 31) that an evacuation plan via Amtrak train for New Orleans residents trapped by Hurricane Katrina's devastation and floodwaters is being worked out by Amtrak president David Gunn, according to this report by Sylvain Metz published by the Jackson Clarion Ledger.

Smith, former Amtrak chairman, said the plan also would possibly use three national freight lines to evacuate New Orleans residents.

If the plan can be worked out, New Orleans residents trapped by the storm could be evacuated to the west by lines operated by Union Pacific Railroad and Canadian National-Illinois Central Railroad, or to the north by freight lines operated by Norfolk Southern Railroad.

Gunn also is considering using Amtrak's Crescent line from New York to New Orleans. That line is clear to Slidell, La., Smith said, but Amtrak officials will have to evaluate the bridge south of Slidell over Lake Pontchartrain, Smith said.

Smith said he had discussed Gunn's plan with U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., and Bill Gottshall, chief of staff for U.S. Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss.

Smith said they will present the plan to Federal Emergency Management Agency officials through the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.

Amtrak spokeswoman Marci Golgoski said, "I can't confirm personal conversations between a current Amtrak president and a former Amtrak president."

(The preceding report by Sylvain Metz was published by the Jackson Clarion Ledger on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005.)

AmtrakFan said:
BNSF_1088 said:
The evac train will run from Avondale LA to Lafayette LA on the BNSF Railway untill people are out of the city it looks like about 2-3 trips a day starting today. :)
They are also brining Horizon's from LA.
haha oh great, the same cars that I had on the #14 stub train. Every single car lost its air conditioning in the first 1/2 hour except for 1. I wonder what they will do now if they need a 14/11 stub? :blink:

Back