The 17 most beautiful metro stations around the world

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grand Central Terminal isn't a "metro station." It's a mainline railway station.

It does have a metro (subway) station underneath, but that station probably wouldn't be anyone's idea of beautiful.

The Madrid station on the list also looks like it may be a mainline railway station, although I'm not familiar enough with Madrid to say that definitively.

Actually the Grand Central subway station is the pits. I don't know what the author was smoking :) Of course, it is quite clear that the author cannot tell the difference between a main line station and a Metro station. The photo is of the main headhouse of the main line (now commuter) station

And yeah, Atocha, the photograph, is a main line station, not a Metro station.

Frankly, the only Metro stations in the US that come close to being world class are some of WMATA stations, and perhaps the World Trade Center PATH station. A typical Metro station in US looks more like a rabbit's warren than a spacious modern Metro station. And as rabbit's warrens go they are not even as well designed as say London Underground stations like Leicester Square as far as pedestrian flow is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original IRT subway stations in NY are in bad condition, but they are *gorgeous*. I wish we would go back to the intricate mosaic tiling as a standard for subway stations.

Back