The Alatoona, PA, baseball team name

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rounding out things in NY are the Yankee's minor league stadium on Staten Island which is accessible from the SIRR and the Met's minor league stadium in Coney Island which is accesible from several subway lines. I pretty sure that you cannot see the trains at CI from the stadium, I'm not sure about the SIRR trains. However, the SIRR trains only run when there is a game.
Alan;

What town is the Staten Island team in? The only branch that I can remember not having regular service was the South Beach branch.
Jay,

Staten Island is one of the 5 boroughs of NY City. It's the southernmost and least populous borough, south of Manhattan, west of Brooklyn, and east of NJ.

Now if you meant what section of SI, then I'm not really sure. It's probably right on the border between St. George and West New Brighton. The trains only run a very short distance, probably a 1/4 mile at most, along the old North Shore tracks on SI.
Thanks Alan...BTW, I was born on Staten Island and should have remembered the old freight line that ran towards Perth Amboy.

The Staten Island Yankees, single A affiliate of the Bronx Bummers, play at Richmond County Bank Ballpark
The ballpark is just off to the right, and a bit up the hill, from the ferry terminal at St. George. Looks pretty nice, though I've not been to a ballgame there. When I lived on Staten Island - straight up the hill and across from a small park - in the mid-1990s, the area now occupied by the ballpark was old, overgrown railyards and decaying remnants of docks. On days off from working in Theatre on Manhattan (ferry and subway commute) me and the girlfriend at the time used to go down there to scavenge for railroad souvenirs, pick wild raspberries in season, watch fireflies at dusk in summer, and enjoy all the tugboat traffic. None of THAT anymore.

EDIT: I've Been Everywhere :D (Original by Hank Snow, not TV commercial Johnny Cash version)
Well I knew we had something in common. I was born on the Island and ate quite a few "sodium bombs" (hot dogs) on the ferry. The Coast Guard used to have a large buoy tender station next to the ferry slips until they moved to Governor's Island. I think they abandoned the island some time back and the Trumps & Co. can't wait to build condos on it. The ferry tie up slips were in Tomkinsville which was right down the hill from St. George. There was a public pool right next to the SIRR tracks. Many a day I would sit and watch those old cars rock and roll past the pool. We even managed to sneak on the tied up ferries until one of NYC's finest hit each one of us with his night stick. Maybe that's why I'm brain dead today :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Alan...BTW, I was born on Staten Island and should have remembered the old freight line that ran towards Perth Amboy.
Jay,

That was more than just an old freight line, although for many years that's all it was (and they are talking about putting back some freight on it once again), it also saw passenger service up until around 1952 or 53 IIRC.

Jay,

That was more than just an old freight line, although for many years that's all it was (and they are talking about putting back some freight on it once again), it also saw passenger service up until around 1952 or 53 IIRC.
Even though my kids think I'm older than dirt I don't remember that far back! Is there anyone doing carfloat service?~ I remember every RR had their own tugs and barges. Probably some of the decaying docks on SI that my west coast pal was referring to were remnants of the carfloat biz?

Jay,

Even though my kids think I'm older than dirt I don't remember that far back!
:lol: :lol:

I wasn't trying make you date yourself though. :)

Is there anyone doing carfloat service?~ I remember every RR had their own tugs and barges. Probably some of the decaying docks on SI that my west coast pal was referring to were remnants of the carfloat biz?
I don't believe that there is any carfloat service to SI, especially now that they have restored the train bridge over the Arthur Kill. So far though to my knowledge, the trains remain only on the western shore of SI. I've not heard that they've restored any part of the north shore line. But again there is talk of doing so, both for freight and for pax service, and not necessarily on the same set of tracks. They may put down multiple tracks in the old ROW.

Back