The Broadway Limited Across Indiana (Cab Ride)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was probably during the period that the Broadway and Capitol were combined between Chicago and Pittsburgh. That's the way it was in 1985 when I rode from CHI to Paoli PA. At that time the Cap carried a dome so I got to ride that across Indiana very cool. And the Vegetable Lasagne in the heritage diner. I wish they would bring that back.

Why did Conrail decided to move traffic to the northern line when this line is pretty straight and not many crossings?

AFAIK, the former Pennsylvania Railroad mainline from PA through OH, IN and to Chicago has been restored for freight service. There might be an opportunity for passenger service in the future but it would require negotiations with Norfolk Southern or if the money was available the line could be double tracked again. This all might be a long shot but as the rail routes get to overcapacity that may drive the push to do something.

It was probably a cost-cutting move because IIRC freight traffic was not as busy and there was a belief that it was not returning. I had many enjoyable rides across there on the Broadway Limited.

I had 3 memorable trips on 40/41. The first was in 1978. My mom and I rode it from NYP to Chicago in a slumber coach. We departed NYP 3 hours late. The NEC was a rough ride. I was a 10-year kid and not that travel savvy. So an effort to use the bathroom in the slumbercoach while standing up near North Philadelphia was not one of my finer moments. The ride across Indiana was also rough. I was fascinated by the twin unit diner.

The second was a round trip to Harrisburg in 1979. My father had a meeting in Harrisburg and I was to ride with him to Harrisburg, and then ride back to Chicago by myself. My first solo trip overnight on the train. We departed Chicago on time. Somewhere east of Gary we came to a stop and sat. And sat. We ate dinner at 5 p.m. in the dinerr. By this time we found out there was a freight derailment ahead. Then the train backed up several miles to a junction where we could switch to a track that would take us to Porter, and then east on the NYC to Cleveland, Ohio, and then to Alliance to Pittsburg. I figured this out years later. At the time I did not know where we were or what was going to happen next. This was a grand adventure. The next morning we were eating breakfast in Pittsburg, and we now knew the train was 6 hours late. Dad was going to miss a meeting and he was not happy. I got my first daylight ride over the horseshoe curve. The solo train ride back to Chicago was uneventful, but a personal milestone.

The third trip was my first solo trip overnight in a slumber coach in 1980. This trip was a rather expensive bribe from my father to get me to agree to go to ballroom dancing classes that my mom insisted on. I remember waking up about 5 in the morning as we rounded the horseshoe curve in fog.

I rode the Broadway Limited first on a cross-country trip at the end of 1977, traveling from Boston to Eugene to visit my sister for Christmas break from boarding school. I took this picture somewhere in Indiana I think; it is one of only three photographs I have from that trip:

IMG_8217.jpeg

Why did Conrail decided to move traffic to the northern line when this line is pretty straight and not many crossings?

The northern ex-New York Central line was bi-directionally signaled, welded rail Centralized Traffic Control. The ex-Pennsylvania was antiquated "current of traffic" (each track signaled for movement in only one direction, using the wrong track required lower speeds) jointed rail with manned interlocking towers. The NYC had plenty of capacity, and traffic levels peaked in the last years of Conrail. It does have one of the longest stretches of track without a curve in the country, some 68 miles between Toledo and Butler, IN.

Here is a link to a cab ride on Amtrak No. 41 the Broadway Limited from Fort Wayne, IN to near Valpariso, IN in the 1980s. This is just after Conrail removed the second main between the two points. It is amazing how much this area has both changed and stayed the same. Enjoy the Pennsy signals.
Cool video, thanks for posting Seaboard!

The Broadway Limited was our connector to Florida for many years. You could board the International in Toronto, connect to the Broadway in Chicago then to Silver service in Philly. For awhile there were through sleepers. As the International got more and more delayed (documented on other threads) the connection became Hammond-Whiting, IN, then finally was impractical. I recall the actual route of the Broadway changed several times during this period, but I'd have drag out my old PTJ issues to document them all. I also seem to remember the schedules of the Broadway and Capitol being swapped briefly, which disrupted the pattern.

I recall in the late 70s the Broadway still ran with a New York and a Washington section. The WAS section ran via the corridor and made the 30th street station stop. The NY section ran via the "New York - Pittsburgh subway" at Zoo and it's only Philly stop was North Philadelphia station. Both sections hauled by GG1s to Harrisburg where they were combined and the Diesels put on. I used to watch them come through Paoli the WAS section without stopping and the NY section making the stop. Not sure when they did away with the Washington section.

In my 1985 trip references above I had a roomette in a 10-6 heritage sleeper very comfortable as I recall.

Here is a link to a cab ride on Amtrak No. 41 the Broadway Limited from Fort Wayne, IN to near Valpariso, IN in the 1980s. This is just after Conrail removed the second main between the two points. It is amazing how much this area has both changed and stayed the same. Enjoy the Pennsy signals.

Beautiful! Miss that.

Back