The Eagle, Zephyr, Builder, and Lake Shore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well I've neglected to put my last trip report up until now. I know I enjoy reading them, so I should contribute too. After quiting my job in Alabama, I needed to take another trip, this time to New York to start a new one. This trip starts in Fort Worth and ends up in Rochester, NY via Omaha, and Grand Forks.

The Texas Eagle, Fort Worth to St. Louis. Oct 12th.

After flying home to Texas from Alabama, I visited family in Texas for a few days before my big move. So on Thursday afternoon, my dad drove me to the Fort Worth ITP station for my departure. After some goodbyes I waited for the Northbound Eagle. It was of course running late about an hour and half, but I planned for that. While at the station I checked one bag for Springfield and the other to go all the way to Rochester. I defenatly had some time to kill and what better place to do it, other than the platforms. The southbound Eagle was ontime and was sitting awaiting its 4 pm departure to San Antonio. I noticed the sleeper on this one was a newly refurbished one, with the fake wood panels and such. I guess they have enough to spread out to other trains besides the Builder now. I was disappointed it wasn't my car though. Yet it gave me hope my sleeper would be the same.

The southbound Texas Eagle on track 2.

Texas Eagle departs for SA as a TRE commuter train leaves for Fort Worth T&P station on the parallel track.

While watching a few more TRE trains come and go, the Northbound Eagle came into view. As it pulled in I walked out to the last car. My sleeping car I found to me semi-refurbished. So I did not complain. I was greeted by the attendant and climbed up to room #8. I was excited because my room was near the end of the car so I could watch outside the back. We weren't in FTW for too long as we started backing out of the station like normal. We pass the old Sante Fe depot, which has seen better days. Of course this is where I like to go to the rear with the conductor and watch as we back out back Tower 55 to get on the UP track to Dallas. I wish the train would just take the TRE tracks. After starts and stops, it takes a good 20 minutes to get out of there. Finally around 5:30 pm were on our way to Dallas travelling though Fort Worth's "lesser" than classy neighborhoods. Yet that changes quickly as we get to Arlington with a good view of Six Flags and Ameriquest Field. DFW Airport was on a north flow today as well so you can see plenty of metal going in right there too. I watched an American 777 on approach from my window.

Soon, just before Dallas dinner was called. Since we were late, much of the later reservations were taken so our attendant had made one for us. I sat with a man and woman. He was going from Oklahoma to Marshall. This guy had done everything including a degree in Choral music to making loads selling lollipops in Roswell, NM. The lady was going to Walnut Ridge (or maybe it was Poplar Bluff) from Austin. So both were examples of how Amtrak serves small towns well at a good price. I enjoyed my meal in the diner. The last I rode the Eagle was right after SDS had started. I must say a huge improvement has been made since then. I even forgot I was eating SDS until I felt the plates. I discovered if you cut too hard, the plates will crack. After a nice dinner, I returned to my sleeper and grabbed something to read and went to the lounge car. It was then my ex called. She was to get married the following Saturday. (no, I've never been happy with that. Long story) Yet she does think its cool I take cross country train trips. Later we stopped in Longview for a break. Lots of pax were joining us here and I wanted to stretch a little too. I'm guess it was about 10 pm now so I thought I go to bed. A little bumpy in the night, but as I recall everytime I woke we were moving at full speed.

So we were making up time right? Haha. Apparently i was sound asleep during our dwell times as we were now 5 hour late. Oh well, I'd get to see Missouri in the daylight. Around 8 am I made my way to the diner for breakfast. During then we stopped in Poplar Bluff. I had never seen this town before. We never lost time after that. It was nice scenery travelling up through Missouri. Fall colors were starting too. I also remember going along a long peice of pavement. It didn't take long to realize it was a runway. I thought it looked that looked like a fun place to land, being down in a valley. Wish I remember what town it was. (thats the pilot in me talking again) Soon lunch was called outside STL. I sat with all guys this time. I chatted with the man and his two small boys. They were going to home to Chicago from SA. I told him I was going to Omaha to watch my alumni play Nebraska Omaha. After saying I went to UND he said he had a nephew also there doing the same program I had done. Small world huh.

You may guess I was getting a little curious about my connection in Springfield to catch the Zephyr in Galesburg. We had just pulled into STL around noon and they were about to bring my food out, when they announced I was to disembark here to take van to Galesburg. So of course I was mad I was missing out on my chicken sandwich. I quickly got up and ran to the back of the train to gather my things. Of course all my things were all over my room so I just did a quick stuffing of the bags and left. Yet there was one more problem. My checked bag was going to Springfield still. Luckily the conductor was standing nearby and I told him about my bag. In a flash he grabbed it for me, then I asked about my food. I figured why not take it to go. So we both got on again and made our way to the diner where I found my food was waiting for me. :) He grabbed me a box and we got it all packed for my trip in the van and off I was...to Galesburg.

I'm tired of typing so see part 2 in sec.

Coming up: the van ride, waiting in Galesburg for the California Zephyr, the ride to Omaha, meeting my old marching band buddies for the big football game, bus trip with the band back to Grand Forks, ND, the Empire Builder to Chicago and finally the LSL to Rochester.

Stay tuned.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back