the Electrification of NY Hudson Valley

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering if amtrak will still be electrifying the Hudson Valley Route,

does anyone know what is happening with this? I am a frequent Amtrak

rider my usual route I ride is the Acela Regional From BWI Airport to

Springfield Ma

I've never even heard about a serious proposal to electrify the tracks to Albany, much less actually starting any work on such a project. I'm don't know of any studies, especially recent ones to even consider this idea.

At present Amtrak doesn't even have the money to pay CSX for track improvements from Poughkeepsie to Albany so that they can achive higher speeds. Therefore if they were even harboring the slightest idea of electrifying, it won't be happening for years.

Then you have the logistical problems. CSX probably wouldn't want wires, since that causes problems with double stacks. Metro North who owns the tracks south of Poughkeepsie probably wouldn't want overhead wires either, since they have no need for them. It's just a maintenance headache as far as they are concerned.

If Amtrak didn't need the wires on the New Haven line. Metro North probably would have pulled them down years ago.

As for using third rail, DC power is not good for long distances and requires too many substations. Plus Amtrak only has a handful of engines that can operate on third rail and they run better under diesel power anyhow.

omega78 said:
I am a frequent Amtrak rider my usual route I ride is the Acela Regional From BWI Airport to Springfield Ma
Well the good news for that route is that CDOT and MDOT are going to be Double Tracking the Springfield Main Line relatively soon, which will allow for a greater frequency of Shuttles out there.

Great news by a few bussnis dreamers, to bad they forgot to tell ConnDot and MassDOT what they wanted. no such plans exist.

Didnt cdot want to havea commuter service similar to shoreline east on the springfield line? Its funny that rail infastrructure that was removed to cut costs, is now wanted back in place as demand for pax service increases. In the 90's(early part) they ctc'ed that line, and removed most of the second track. Hopefully the project will be completed.

battalion51 said:
Well the good news for that route is that CDOT and MDOT are going to be Double Tracking the Springfield Main Line relatively soon, which will allow for a greater frequency of Shuttles out there.
CDOT can't even find the money to buy new M7/M8 cars for it's busiest run. So while people propose and dream about double tracking and increased service on the Springfield Main, I've yet to see the money.

How about Conndots Federal money that disapeared twice already, the funding was ment for signaling the Danbury Branch. this has been in planning for 16 years, only thing they have not admitted to in planning is that millions of federal money is GONE.

Back