The good ole days are back...continued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
I thought I would start a continued Silver Service super train topic as the other one was getting a bit lengthy. Anyways, doing some research on Amtrak's reservation website here's how things break down so far from April 22 to June 23 between NYP and MIA.

April 22

91 – Normal Schedule

97 – Normal Schedule

98 – Normal Schedule

92 – Normal Schedule

April 23

91 – Normal Schedule

97 – Canceled

98 – Normal Schedule (closed for reservations)

92 – Normal Schedule

April 24

91 – Super Train Schedule

97 – Canceled

98 – Normal Schedule (closed for reservations)

92 – Normal Schedule (closed for reservations)

April 25 – June 22

91 – Super Train Schedule

97 – Canceled

98 – Canceled

92 – Super Train Schedule

June 23

91 – Normal Schedule

97 – Normal Schedule

98 – Normal Schedule

92 – Normal Schedule

It should be noted that the dates Amfleet posted are for the trains that leave their inital terminal on that date. For example, on April 24 train 91 will be on its normal schedule in the southern part of the United States.

battalion51 said:
It should be noted that the dates Amfleet posted are for the trains that leave their inital terminal on that date. For example, on April 24 train 91 will be on its normal schedule in the southern part of the United States.
What is normal? Five hours or more late or just maybe ontime!!!!! :lol: :D

My question on the Trenton situation is why the stop is such an issue. Even if it would block a switch or two keep in mind the following:

-The train is not scheduled to be running during rush hour

-Trenton is the terminal for SEPTA and NJ Transit, so there would be few if any trains that would be affected, and the remainder would only be affected for a few minutes

-Trenton has not had checked baggage in years (a big mistake in my opinion), so the train could be positioned to load and go within two to four minutes

Aight guys, I snuck a peek at the schedules today, I should have a copy in my possesion tomorrow. Anywho, here's what it looks like right now, there's about zero dwell time in Philly (from 35 minutes down to 10), there's a crap load of dwell time in JAX (over an hour), and the meet between 91 and 92 will be at Okeechobee, 92 arrival 11:24A, 91 arrival 11:30A. Good news for all two of the people living in Okeechobee, following the schedule change in June(when they go back to this schedule) all trains will stop in Okeechobee.

Viewliner said:
My question on the Trenton situation is why the stop is such an issue. Even if it would block a switch or two keep in mind the following:

-Trenton is the terminal for SEPTA and NJ Transit, so there would be few if any trains that would be affected, and the remainder would only be affected for a few minutes

-Trenton has not had checked baggage in years (a big mistake in my opinion), so the train could be positioned to load and go within two to four minutes
It looks like, according the Amtrak's resveration website, that #92 WILL stop in Trenton, but #91 WILL NOT stop in Trenton.

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
My question on the Trenton situation is why the stop is such an issue.  Even if it would block a switch or two keep in mind the following:

It looks like, according the Amtrak's resveration website, that #92 WILL stop in Trenton, but #91 WILL NOT stop in Trenton.
I hope that at minimum is the case, because I got the impression that both trains would be bypassing Trenton. That would be a sad story considering Trenton is the 7th Busiest station in the Amtrak system, and hasn't had checked baggage in years.

But is it the 7th busiest in LD service? Probably not. Since there are only a handful of LD trains that go through Trenton with baggage cars, is it worth the amount of money for the low number of LD boardings?

battalion51 said:
But is it the 7th busiest in LD service? Probably not. Since there are only a handful of LD trains that go through Trenton with baggage cars, is it worth the amount of money for the low number of LD boardings?
That's very hard to say. If Amtrak breaks out LD boardings vs. corridor boardings, they aren't publishing that info.

However, consider that Trenton remains #7 despite the fact that almost no Acela Express or Metroliners stop there. In fact there are only 3 southbound and 4 northbound stops at Trenton by the premium trains.

So that means that the bulk of those passenger boarding at Trenton have to be getting on either the Regionals or the LD's.

Then considers that one can board either NJT to NY or SEPTA to Philly for far less money than jumping on an Amtrak regional. That means the bulk of passengers boarding at Trenton are at least traveling outside the NY to Philly corridor, even if they are not going long distance.

So that leaves 15 southbound regionals, 6 westbound Keystone trains, along with 3 premium trains for those heading beyond Philly. That's a total of 24 corridor trains. With 7 LD's each day heading south or west, that's almost 1/4 of the total number of trains stopping at Trenton.

So that could well mean that at least 1/4 of all passengers boarding at Trenton are indeed boarding LD's. I suspect that it is indeed less than 1/4, but even half of that would still be a substantial number of passengers.

Remember, trains run direct from Trenton to New England and Boston. You have to include the northbound regionals for that reason. Also, business people travelling on the corridor usually go by Amtrak (even Acela) no matter what the length of their trip, if their company is paying. So you probably do see Trenton-New York and Trenton-Philly boardings on Regionals and Clockers.

The reason Trenton is number 7 is the same reason why Princeton Junction is number 9: New Jersey Transit passholders riding Clockers.

NJT monthly passholders can use Amtrak Clockers at no additional charge, and they do by the thousands. The Clockers, which originate in Philadelphia, run nearly empty to Trenton where they fill to the brim at Trenton and Princeton Junction enroute to Newark and New York. These Amtrak trains are really local commuter trains in disguise. Even though these passengers are traveling using an NJT ticket, they ride on an Amtrak train and are included in the Amtrak passenger count. I am willing to bet that 50% or more of all the Amtrak boardings at Trenton are NJT passholders on the morning Clockers to New York.

Watch what happens to the Amtrak passenger counts at Trenton and Princeton Junction when NJT assumes operation of the Clockers. In fact, watch what happens to Amtrak’s overall passenger count. Each year, nearly 2 million passengers, eight percent of all Amtrak passenger boardings nationwide, ride the Clockers. They are nearly all commuters: some on Amtrak monthly tickets and some with NJT. If just 50% of the Clocker passengers are using NJT passes, and that is probably a low estimate, and the others switch to Regionals, Amtrak will lose 1 million annual boardings when NJT takes over those couple of trains.

This very valid question about a major stop like Trenton reminded me of a question I had a few months ago. That was, why does not the Silver Meteor stop in Alexandria? I got several answers but nobody knew for sure. Any new enlightenment?

Probably the hour in both directions, combined with the fact that Alexandria is served by the Star and the Palmetto covering all points south. It probably isn't economical to keep it open at those hours, especially considering delays. Keep in mind the Meteor (at least for now) does stop in Yemassee and Okeechobee, while the Star (before the supertrain) doesn't.

Plus Bill, the time of day the Meteor goes through there isn't exactly the greatest, and it would require the station to be staffed during those hours. It also allows the FLO-WAS Conductors to close out their paperwork after Richmond.

Viewliner and Battalion, thanks for your answers. They made sense, as I pondered them on the way home last night. But I still had one very basic nagging thought ....... all the trains have always stopped at Alexandria, regardless of time of day......And I got home and looked through early 50's timetables to prove it to myself,and noted trains going through DC and Alex at 2 a.m., 3. am., etc, no problem.

Then it FINALLY hit me......so many more trains back then.,... at all hours of the day. ....Many more stations obviously were open 24 hours a day. At present with Amtrak the SM really is the last to go through at night and the first to go through in the morning----nothing in betwen........no reason to keep the station open, plus the problem if the s.b. is late, keeping it open "after hours". It all makes sense.

Thanks, guys, I see what you were trying to say.

Bill,

It also could be that there is now (for the past 20 years or so) rapid transit in the form of Washington Metro running between Alexandria and downtown Washington, making it relatively easy for one to go to Union Station to catch a train. Although at the hours in question, Metro either isn't open or does not run as frequently as it does in the daytime. I'm more inclined to think that they feel they have two other options in place in the Silver Star and Palmetto for service to Florida, so they don't need a late night/early morning stop for the Meteor, whose patronage would be minimal compared to the two other trains.

So, how loading/unloading going to be done? I know most likely coming out of New York and Miami they're going try to fill the front part of the train first.

Not necessarily, it all dpeneds on the loading plan. Right now they generally put longs out of South Florida in 40, shorts in 41, mediums in 42. Once you get into Central Florida the longs go in 43 and 41, with the mediums in 42 and spilling into 41. So one would think longs up front, shorts in the rear, and that's just not the case.

So what happens when they fill their shorts in the rear? :p

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Well the reason things are done this way now is because most of the time there's only one attendant on board until JAX. This makes it so almost all of the station work can be done at one door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back