The Government needs to something about trains 1&2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just STUPID what UP can get away with delaying Amtrak up to 8-9hrs between San Antonio and Houston.Last night the houston engineer didn't even make it to Lafayette the Nol crew had to go get the train in between Houston and Lafayette and they went dead at Baldwin La which is about 40 miles east of Lafayette and had to wait for a crew out of Nol to recrew the train.

:angry: :angry: :angry: Maybe the government can impose stiff finds for intensionally delaying amtrak trains for more then an hour.

I think an hour is a little bit unreasonable. I mean granted UP doesnt treat Amtrak like a passenger train should be treated and I completely agree that maybe 8 of the 10 1/2 hours of a typical sunset delay are directly related to UP's mistreatment of the Sunset. However we must give UP 10% of the doubt. The amount of traffic between Houston and San Antonio, TX is astounding. The tracks just were not made for that amount of traffic. So while I do think maybe imposing fines might be a good direction to go, we have to also look at the other side. By telling UP to allow the sunset to run ontime between these 2 cities (where generally a lot of the substantial delays occur), then UP is loosing money, because simply the only way to allow the sunset to run ontime during this stretch is for UP to cancel trains...and I dont think UP loosing money will be kind in the eyes of the "judge" eathier. Rather, I think some kind of strict agreement should be reached.

Well, its BNSF to Houston, but no BNSF all the way from there to El Paso. So unfortunately not. The only alternative would be routing way north, but it would take the sunset on an even longer route, and away from where the revenue is.

Amtrak needs to make additional provisions in the contract they have with UP regarding the Sunset and it's performance. Maybe they could renegotiate or at least work at getting improvments when the contract would come up for renewal.

I'm just curious. If a train is 8-10 hours late, do they serve the appropriate extra meals for free to the sleeper passengers? That is, if you are supposed to arrive at 10:00 AM and don't until 8:00 that evening, do you get a lunch and dinner?

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I think an hour is a little bit unreasonable. I mean granted UP doesnt treat Amtrak like a passenger train should be treated and I completely agree that maybe 8 of the 10 1/2 hours of a typical sunset delay are directly related to UP's mistreatment of the Sunset. However we must give UP 10% of the doubt. The amount of traffic between Houston and San Antonio, TX is astounding. The tracks just were not made for that amount of traffic. So while I do think maybe imposing fines might be a good direction to go, we have to also look at the other side. By telling UP to allow the sunset to run ontime between these 2 cities (where generally a lot of the substantial delays occur), then UP is loosing money, because simply the only way to allow the sunset to run ontime during this stretch is for UP to cancel trains...and I dont think UP loosing money will be kind in the eyes of the "judge" eathier. Rather, I think some kind of strict agreement should be reached.
I agree that some consideration must be given and obviously there needs to be an allowence for the unexpected, like a derailment or serious weather problems.

On the other hand, in the abscence of an unexpected problem, I for one feel that anything more than 2 hours is unacceptable. Yes you are correct that the amount of traffic currently running on UP is huge, but let's not forget that UP & it's predecessors are partly responsible for the problem. Poor planning has seen them remove alternative tracks and I think that portions of double track were removed years ago.

Additionally UP bears a fare amount of the blame, simply for misjudging the volume of freight. A fair amount of the problem isn't the fact that there isn't enough track, the problem is that there aren't enough crews. Crews are going dead on the law, because they can't get their train into the yard, simply because UP didn't have a crew to take another train out of the yard to make room for the arriving train.

This snowballs down the line creating major havoc. This is one of the bigger problems on the Sunset route. While most RR's have been impacted by a huge increase in freight, UP appears to have missed the boat totally. Yes, every company is out there hiring new crews, but no one is looking to hire the massive amounts that UP is looking for.

So, as TP suggested, Amtrak needs to cut a contract with UP that has some teeth. Amtrak should not have to pay UP anything for a late train that is fully UP's fault and not caused by a Force-Majure issue. However, once delays creep above 2 hours, then I think that UP should have to start paying penalties to Amtrak.

MrFSS said:
I'm just curious. If a train is 8-10 hours late, do they serve the appropriate extra meals for free to the sleeper passengers? That is, if you are supposed to arrive at 10:00 AM and don't until 8:00 that evening, do you get a lunch and dinner?
You do, assuming that they actually have the food to serve. Extremely late trains have been known to have food delivered from a Kentucky Fried Chicken or similar outfit.

engine999 said:
:angry:   :angry:   :angry: Maybe the government can impose stiff finds for intensionally delaying amtrak trains for more then an hour.
Maybe if they find it in their hearts, they can intentionally fine them, too.

I think I heard UP was hiring 5,000 new crew members to relieve this congestion. I agree that it is absurd that a railroad do this to passengers and Amtrak. And who looses in the long run? Amtrak does!

I heard talks a few years ago of rerouting the Sunset from El Paso up through Pecos, Midland, Abilene, and into Fort Worth/Dallas and then it goes to Houston, reestablishing a Dallas-Houston train, which I would really benefit from! They could have thru cars from the Eagle in Fort Worth out west. Would it relieve congestion? Who knows? But that won't happen soon.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back