"The Gunn" is coming to Hialeah!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
"The Gunn" is coming to Hialeah this week!!! :eek:

He's coming in on #97 and will go out the next day. :huh:

I'm glad he didn't come down last week!!! :D

Met him last time he was here and enjoyed the chat. We talked about trains and that he was an electrician by craft.

Hope everything goes well and the atmosphere around in the yard stays up! :p

MJ B)

I'm glad he is still making the rounds to all the ficilities, including Hialeah, to check up on progress and any problems that may need to be resolved. Funny, that he is comming down on #97, which will arrive late evening, and departing the next morning (on #98????). That leaves him to check up on things that night?

He most likely will go out on #92 (Silver Star). That'll give him a little time to be down there and make his rounds. However, the approaching storm may change those plans if those plans are really in the immediate future! I wish I could be there, for I missed my oportunity to speak with him while I was in WAS one day. He was there greeting the employees and some of the passengers while mingleing on the platform.

Dunno what kind of trip he's going to get, or what kind of return, depending on Bonnie, Charley, and his timing of the trip........ We're looking for some pretty rough weather in Florida starting late tomorrow in the Panhandle's Big Bend area, I think, and continuing more generally through until possibly Sunday morning, and with the risk of some really severe flooding in places.

Amtrak has cancelled all NY to Miami trains for tomorrow due to the storms, so hopefully Gunn wasn't planning on riding one of them.

Yeah it's looking like a lot of things are going to go by the wayside, which isn't good news for my paycheck since I work at a movie theater.

Could this tie in with the recent upturn down in Hialeah? As a shot in the arm to keep things going good or to see what was causing trouble before? Maybe a morale boost for all employees down there and to bring some good headlines down there?

A shame the weather isn't cooperating though. Hope it only delays him a day or two.

I wonder if it would not have been better if Mr. Gunn HAD come down last week when things were so bad. Maybe there would have been some healthy shock value in that.....I believe Gunn to be a good man for the job but even he probably could benefit from experiecing a few more things like that personally.

Spoke with someone on 97, supposedly Gunn took 97 to JAX, got to JAX and then was looking for a flight back to Washington. :lol:

Gunn didn't make it!!!!! :(

I surmised that he would try to get out of Fla. and I don't blame him.

Knowing that between the 2 storms,the track would be unstable, I'd bug out too!! :p

The visit had been planned for weeks and probably will be rescheduled.

I'm glad he didn't come down!!! The pessimists would have complained about Shipper and ruined what momentum is still in the yard!! Time to think ahead.

Trying to catch up on PM's and slowly progressing. Gonna work the weekend and try to get some cars out. Hope to be caught up soon!

Got 2 new foremen in the yard from other facilities. Need some "fresh" ideas and motivation.

Meetings are planned for next week between labor and management. With everyone feeling more relaxed, I think that constructive ideas will be considered and that everyone will be on the same page. The daily requirements haven't changed, but I think we have the management that will push us to the next level and provide the tools we need to excel. More input is needed, so we know what maintenance can be deferred and release the car to service.

The yard is improving and alot of new equipment has been purchased and this will reduce the number of manhours per car. The wheel machine will allow cars to return to service quicker and may possibly return to the same consist. This machine will pay for itself in no time!

Work is more relaxed and I actually look forward to going to work!! :D

Amazing how a "small change" can change attitudes!!!! :eek:

MJ B)

Miami Joe said:
Gunn didn't make it!!!!! :(
I surmised that he would try to get out of Fla. and I don't blame him.

Knowing that between the 2 storms,the track would be unstable, I'd bug out too!! :p

The visit had been planned for weeks and probably will be rescheduled.

I'm glad he didn't come down!!! The pessimists would have complained about Shipper and ruined what momentum is still in the yard!!
Have those train annulments because of Charlier helped the PM line move along?

It's helping, but still slow!!! :(

This opportunity will allow some more time on the consists in the yard. :)

The PM line is working O/T everyday and we're doing weekends now. All efforts are on reducing the backed-up cars and having enough "spares" to build a consist.

It's going to take a few weeks to catch up!!! We are not going to shortcut any cars, this would be counterproductive.

MJ B)

I personally feel a large facility like Hialeah should have the resources in cars to be able to have a train not show up, and still be able to fill a full train without having to scrap something together. I know there have been situations where equipment has been late coming in and the outbound crews have had to wait for that equipment to be turned over, not a good thing in a large facility like Hialeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back