The month of March For CS and Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
I'm planning my LD train trip for next year and the plan is to combine both the CS and Empire Builder. So the plan is to take:

CS : LAUS -> SEA

Cascade: SEA-> PDX

EB: PDX->CHI

Now the idea is that we spend couple days in SEA, PDX and CHI before flying back to LAX. Generally, how are conditions on the EB in March in regards to weather related issues? We go with the expectation that "8 hour late is ON TIME for Amtrak" so not too worried about delays but more concerned about bustitutions and cancellations.

I guess I should ask, "What is the weather like along the route in March?" Blizzards? Or is it starting to thaw out around March.
From the window of my roomette, here we are just outside Browning, Montana on the morning of March 11, 2013. Somewhere out there is a horizon.

15142159425_40d04595d3_z.jpg

I guess I should ask, "What is the weather like along the route in March?" Blizzards? Or is it starting to thaw out around March.
From the window of my roomette, here we are just outside Browning, Montana on the morning of March 11, 2013. Somewhere out there is a horizon.

15142159425_40d04595d3_z.jpg
Burrr way to cold for my SoCal Arrse. Change of plans to April.

It isn't much different in April. In fact that can be the height of avalanche season in Glacier National Park and the train goes along the park's southern boundary. The snowpack is the deepest in the park in early april, so you would see a winter wonderland as you go over Marias Pass in the Park.

Honestly, you need to wait until June for "warmer" conditions through a good part of western MT and even northern Idaho.

I live 25 miles from the park and just a few miles from the main line of BNSF. If you want to see snow stay with March or April. If you want to she lush and beautiful green wait until late May or June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back