The National onboard magazine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the National magazine done? I know it stopped for Covid but I can't find any info on it being brought back. Their Twitter feed seems to have last posted in May 2020. I read where American Airlines was dropping their in-flight magazine and others have already done so. Given the speed of a train a magazine to read seems to make more sense for Amtrak and the mass of the printed magazine would also seem to not be as a big of a factor in energy consumption when compared to the mass of the entire train vs the mass of an airplane.

Is the National magazine done? I know it stopped for Covid but I can't find any info on it being brought back. Their Twitter feed seems to have last posted in May 2020. I read where American Airlines was dropping their in-flight magazine and others have already done so. Given the speed of a train a magazine to read seems to make more sense for Amtrak and the mass of the printed magazine would also seem to not be as a big of a factor in energy consumption when compared to the mass of the entire train vs the mass of an airplane.

I read about AA dropping their inflight magazine as well. I imagine most of those who fly will not miss that. If Amtrak dropped their magazine as well, I would be OK with that. If they have to make a choice as to how to use their resources best, I'd prefer that they return to printing the National Timetable or at least the timetable that is specific for whatever train I am riding. A return to the Route Guides for a specific LD trip would also be appreciated by this traveler.

I assume The National was a profit maker for Amtrak by selling ads. It may have been a loss-leader and if that is the case I would support your thoughts.
That's what I would have thought as well...the publisher of those 'house' magazines gets most of the ad revenue, while providing the airlines with their own editorial content, or the publisher provides some or most of that as well.

I believe that if Amtrak would sell advertising in the National Timetable, it could be distributed at no cost also, or even at a profit. Some companies like TDI had a thriving business providing them for commuter's....

That's what I would have thought as well...the publisher of those 'house' magazines gets most of the ad revenue, while providing the airlines with their own editorial content, or the publisher provides some or most of that as well.

I believe that if Amtrak would sell advertising in the National Timetable, it could be distributed at no cost also, or even at a profit. Some companies like TDI had a thriving business providing them for commuter's....
I thought there were ads in the timetables. Maybe I am misremembering and thinking of the in-house ads for Amtrak that would be used as filler space on a page like was done in the Yellow Pages of old. I should look at an old timetable I guess.

Me, too. I've been in many trains that have had "The National" and never did anything more than read whatever blurb the CEO wrote and briefly leaf through rest.
I would not purchase a subscription but I would usually flip the pages and often found an article or two worth the effort. It was nice to see it in the stations and trains outside of the NEC, which seems to have been the geographic limit of the magazine Amtrak had before the National started in 2016.

I thought there were ads in the timetables. Maybe I am misremembering and thinking of the in-house ads for Amtrak that would be used as filler space on a page like was done in the Yellow Pages of old. I should look at an old timetable I guess.
I believe there were some outside ads in later years, but apparently not enough to pay for the publication.

I would not purchase a subscription but I would usually flip the pages and often found an article or two worth the effort. It was nice to see it in the stations and trains outside of the NEC, which seems to have been the geographic limit of the magazine Amtrak had before the National started in 2016.
The early Amtrak magazine was when Amtrak spent much of its marketing effort in fighting for a share of the business travel market in the NEC, and that was really the only place that had wide use by business traveler's.

From my limited exposure I have noted the following. The magazine started in 2016 and was to be a national magazine and not just for the NEC. I don't ride that much but I do seem to remember it on the Crescent, Carolinian and on the Piedmont. Though do not hold me to all of those. I do remember seeing it on the pamphlet/literature rack at Raleigh and Greensboro stations.

It may not be on every train and it may only have been put out once an issue and when gone/removed/taken then not replaced or only replaced until supplies were available for that issue.

I read about AA dropping their inflight magazine as well. I imagine most of those who fly will not miss that. If Amtrak dropped their magazine as well, I would be OK with that. If they have to make a choice as to how to use their resources best, I'd prefer that they return to printing the National Timetable or at least the timetable that is specific for whatever train I am riding. A return to the Route Guides for a specific LD trip would also be appreciated by this traveler.

I have to agree. The timetables don't need to change as often as the "magazine", nor do the route guides (this saves money, at least when people don't walk off with them); they also sold ads in the timetables; and the timetables are a far better advertisement for "hey, take additional Amtrak routes" than the magazine. I suppose a national timetable + all the route guides would be a lot thicker than the magazine, but the timetable alone is about the same thickness as the magazine. And frankly it could be made more compact.

The National was definitely a loss leader; had fewer ads than the timetables.

Back