The New York subway in 1946, by Stanley Kubrick

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
In 1946, Stanley Kubrick, then aged only 18, took these photographs of the New York Subway and had them published by LOOK magazine. He photographed for the magazine from 1945 to 1950.

According to Helen O'Brian, head of LOOK's photographic department, Kubrick generated the highest number of published articles of any photographer she had worked with. At the time, Kubrick was the youngest photographer LOOK had had on its books.
http://mashable.com/2015/01/18/stanley-kubrick-photography/

WOW

Not much had changed when I rode the Subways about 12-15 years latter. Mahalo for the memories.

Aloha

These are great photos.

As I was looking at them, though, the thought came into my head:

Where are the black people?

I came up with three possible reasons there might not have been black people in these pictures:

1) They weren't there; black people didn't ride the subway, or at least those subways, in 1946. Not plausible, I guess.

2) Kubrick didn't take pictures of them, for whatever reason. (Knew that Look wouldn't publish them, perhaps?)

3) Kubrick took the pictures, but they did not make it into this collection, which was filtered by Look, I guess.

Thoughts?

Nice find Charlie! I too remember riding them in the late 50s and early 60s!

Perhaps these weren't uptown trains that stopped in Harlem, or were express trains that came from stops where no Black people lived!

I know there were lots of blacks that rode when I used to go to games @ the Polo Grounds ( Harlem) and the old Yankee Stadium!( Bronx) I never got to go to Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, the Dodgers left after 1957 and they tore down the Stadium, but there always were blacks riding when I would go to Coney Island!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back