The next few years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now that PTC is *required*, I would hope that the rules would be changed to remove the stupid rules with respect to trains which always run with PTC active.
The issues that are primarily being discussed don't have much to do with PTC. NEC is going to be the first place anywhere in the world that is contemplating allowing 150 or 160 mph service on legacy track centers in NJ, which are borderline inadequate or adequate for such. The concern is about collisions resulting from derailment and side swipe or crash into derailment. The other thing that was mentioned in the talk given my the safety team which is developing the safety case was that of shifted load in a freight train on adjacent track striking a high speed train. These things tend to be less of an issue in HSRs with standard track center distances, and there is no PTC system in the world that can prevent these things from happening. The issue then boils down to risk assessment and mitigation and they talked a lot about the risk models being developed and validated, how exactly I don't know, and nor am I an expert enough to fully understand them.
Please note that I am just reporting what I carefully noted at the meeting in which these guys who are developing the safety case for presentation to FRA to get the waiver were describing the real life issues faced. If you don't like it, go and talk to them or someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Amtrak really planning on sticking with the Acela brand for new NEC high speed trains?

Amtrak172
There is no official word, but the Acela has been a hugely successful service for Amtrak. The Acela generated 25% of Amtrak's ticket revenues in FY12 with only 10.6% of the total ridership. The Acela has become a established brand name, to the point where I read a political article a couple of months ago that used the term "Acela corridor" as a shorthand for the NYC to DC political, media, financial class that reside in and travel between DC and NYC.
I would be very surprised if Amtrak were not to keep the brand name and call the new HSR trains the Acela IIs to emphasize that they are new even better trains. But then again, there could be new leadership at Amtrak by the time the new trains are ready for revenue service who will want to use a entirely new name just because he can.

Yea I would be very surprised if Amtrak were to not keep the name Acela.

Amtrak172

If this is a THIRD world country, then why is it called the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. by definition, the united states can not be described by anything other than FIRST WORLD, defined as the UNITED STATES and her ALLIES. The THIRD world is only countries not allied with either the USSR or the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
The what now?

The USSR doesn't exist anymore. It dissolved in late 1991.

If this is a THIRD world country, then why is it called the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. by definition, the united states can not be described by anything other than FIRST WORLD, defined as the UNITED STATES and her ALLIES. The THIRD world is only countries not allied with either the USSR or the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
The English language has moved on in the quarter century since the Cold War ended; First and Third world now have entirely different meanings (and Second World has gone kaput).
As mentioned by others, the terms First, Second and Third World have lost the original basis of their meaning due to the fall of the USSR. However, I think it is safe to say that no commonly used meaning of the term "First World" even today would exclude the United States from it. Categorizing the United States as Third World is usually a rhetorical flourish used to express ones personal dissatisfaction with some state of affairs of the United States (would seem to have been FRA rule making in this case, even though the immediate issue is a little broader than just FRA rule making as I have tried to explain in a separate message).

Believe me, All Aboard Florida is not a "flaky" project. A lot of money is being invested. Because its being funded privately, it is not necessary to reveal the day to day happenings so the press and others so they can speculate about something they have no in depth knowledge of.
Whereas I agree that AAF is not a flaky project, I would disagree with the rest. AAF has an obligation to stakeholders to deliver on its promises. Now, it's possible (I haven't looked to find out) that if AAF is NOT public - either alone or through FECRR - then they wouldn't have to keep anyone invested in the loop. Such obligations may include, but not limited to, progress payments to suppliers, continued funding funneled to AAF from FEC, etc.

Now, if it were an unannounced venture, then no one would have to know about it at all. Except that local municipalities would be involved, and we all know that government cant keep secrets.

The concern is about collisions resulting from derailment and side swipe or crash into derailment.
The current rules do jack-all to protect people in case of side swipes. We saw this fairly recently.

The issue then boils down to risk assessment and mitigation and they talked a lot about the risk models being developed and validated, how exactly I don't know, and nor am I an expert enough to fully understand them.
I'm all for some sort of rules, but the existing rules are not fit for purpose. Waiver should be granted automatically and then the FRA should come up with some actual side-swipe rules.

I'm all for some sort of rules, but the existing rules are not fit for purpose. Waiver should be granted automatically and then the FRA should come up with some actual side-swipe rules.
I think you should apply for the job of the FRA Administrator and then go there and make it happen :p

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but management of a bureaucracy is *not* one of my strong suits. :giggle:

We need to bring LBJ back from the Grave, he knew how to kick ass and take names and make Washington function! A True Master of the bureaucracy as well as Congress! Too bad he was suckered in by the Military Industrial Complex on Vietnam!

The English language has moved on in the quarter century since the Cold War ended; First and Third world now have entirely different meanings (and Second World has gone kaput).
As mentioned by others, the terms First, Second and Third World have lost the original basis of their meaning due to the fall of the USSR. However, I think it is safe to say that no commonly used meaning of the term "First World" even today would exclude the United States from it. Categorizing the United States as Third World is usually a rhetorical flourish used to express ones personal dissatisfaction with some state of affairs of the United States (would seem to have been FRA rule making in this case, even though the immediate issue is a little broader than just FRA rule making as I have tried to explain in a separate message).
I took neroden's comment to be a facetious one.

Revised for my own entertainment. Several projects were COMPLETED and have been removed from the list.

I've left out the NEC projects, as well as nearly everything done by the MBTA, mainly because I have no good grasp on their schedules. I haven't included California HSR or All Aboard Florida, deliberately, as their projected dates don't seem reliable. I know I'm missing some Surfliner and San Joaquin improvements, and I haven't listed the Piedmont projects individually since it seems like the benefits will mostly only come when they're all finished. I'm probably missing some other stuff too. I included urban rail improvements only where they connect large populations to the Amtrak station.

2014:

"fall": Troy MI station (where construction finished a year ago) opens. The city finally has title to the land now and was negotiating lease terms with Amtrak as of three days ago. So it could be any day.

late September: Grand Rapids new station opens

November: Dearborn new station opens

"late": Anaheim new train station ("ARTIC") supposed to open

"fall": Miami Central Station supposed to open

"winter": Mt Vernon siding in WA supposed to be finished

December: Englewood Flyover finishes (may be early)

Niagara Falls station supposed to start construction (contract has been awarded -- anyone seen any construction?)

December: Rochester station supposed to start construction

End of year: last chance for Raton Pass route

ACS-64s continue delivery

Viewliner IIs continue delivery

Indiana Gateway projects under construction now

NY major trackwork under construction now

MI major trackwork under construction now

VT major trackwork under construction now

Quad Cities trackwork has started (BNSF section only); agreement with Iowa Interstate has been finished and engineering is being done

Milwaukee trainshed & platform construction supposed to start

Last Keystone grade crossing supposed to close

2015:

"first quarter": Vermonter reroute

Quad Cities trackwork on Iowa Interstate section supposed to start

December: Springfield MA Union Station

December: Moline service

"late": Rockford service

December 31: PTC deadline -- Amtrak, BNSF, Metrolink, SEPTA, NJT, expect to meet deadline

Birmingham AL station supposed to open

Van Nuys second platform supposed to open

ACS-64 deliveries supposed to finish

Schenectady station supposed to start construction

Point Defiance Bypass supposed to start construction

Tacoma Trestle supposed to start construction

Raleigh Union Station supposed to start construction

Seattle King St. Station track improvements (next phase) supposed to start construction

Blaine WA Customs Siding. Delayed from 2014: final agreement with BNSF has been reached, but it hasn't been "designed" yet. Right.

(Kansas City Streetcar opens connecting to KC Union Station)

(Expo Line Phase II opens in LA connecting Santa Monica indirectly to LA Union Station)

(Chicago Central Loop bus lanes to separate buses from taxis/private cars expected in front of Union Station)

(Toronto airport train opens)

2016:

Probable early: SW Chief relocates to Transcon

"June": Bilevel corridor car "pilot car" delivery supposed to start

"fall": 125 mph corridor diesel deliveries supposed to start (seems unlikely)

"fall": WA Toteff siding extension supposed to open

"end of": NH-H-S commuter rail in Connecticut supposed to open

Rochester station supposed to open

Niagara Falls station supposed to open

Exton PA high platforms supposed to open

Viewliner deliveries supposed to finish

Indiana Gateway projects supposed to finish

Milwaukee trainshed & platform work supposed to finish

(Denver Union Station gets three more connecting urban rail lines)

(Sunrail Phase II opens and construction on those tracks finally finishes)

(Gold Line Foothills extension opens in LA)

(Seattle Link extension to University opens)

(Montreal "East" train opens)

2017:

"mid": 125 mph corridor diesel deliveries supposed to finish

NY Trackwork supposed to be finished

MI Trackwork supposed to be finished

Schenectady station supposed to open

Point Defiance Bypass supposed to open

Tacoma Trestle replacement supposed to open

Seattle King St. Station track improvements supposed to open

WA "Kelso Martins Bluff new siding" and "Kelso to Longview Junction third main" supposed to open

Roanoke VA service supposed to start

Raleigh Union Station supposed to open to train service

Vermont Western Corridor (Albany-Burlington) year for opening if no more federal funding is received, according to the state department of transportation in 2012

Completion of Amtrak's NEC NJ HSR project between New Brunswick and Morrisville (including constant tension catenary)

NY Penn Station A interlocking ladder track realignment

Deadline for ARRA-funded improvements (such as a whole lot of Piedmont improvements as well as much of what's listed above)

2018:

Bilevel corridor car deliveries supposed to finish

Funded but AFAICT indefinitely delayed:

Waterloo IN new platform

West Detroit Junction work

relocation of Texas Eagle to Trinity Railway Express line

I've left out the NEC projects, as well as nearly everything done by the MBTA, mainly because I have no good grasp on their schedules. I haven't included California HSR or All Aboard Florida, deliberately, as their projected dates don't seem reliable. I know I'm missing some Surfliner and San Joaquin improvements, and I haven't listed the Piedmont projects individually since it seems like the benefits will mostly only come when they're all finished. I'm probably missing some other stuff too. I included urban rail improvements only where they connect large populations to the Amtrak station.

2015:

"first quarter": Vermonter reroute

2018:

Bilevel corridor car deliveries supposed to finish

Funded but AFAICT indefinitely delayed:

Several items. The Vermonter re-route may occur as soon as December 29. The Amtrak reservation system is not allowing sales of tickets to Amherst MA after December 28, 2014. A re-route in the middle of the holiday week period strikes me as odd, but if there is a goal of returning to the CT River line before the end of 2014, MA may be pushing for it. Gov. Patrick may also want to take a victory lap on his watch and his term in up in early January 2015.
As for the MBTA, yea, they are not the most transparent of transit agencies when it comes to providing status updates on their smaller projects. Or even the bigger ones. MBTA got a grant for double tracking and other upgrades to the Haverhill line in support of the Downeaster. Track and bridge work has been done on the line, but the posters to a long running thread in the MBTA forum on railroad.net on the line work, report the work as sporadic, spread over years and have no idea when it might get done.

Under 2016, I would add the completion of the expanded West End Concourse at NYP.

One HSIPR project I would add under a 2017 completion is the Arkendale to Powells Creek 3rd track for the RF&P line in VA. The project has been dragged out for years, but it is still funded and in the VRE and VDRPT plans.

Amtrak ambitious plan is to have new HSR trainsets running in revenue service in 2018. Worth listing, but with a big caveat about 2018 being the goal.

There is the plan for the Customs facility at Montreal, but that falls into who knows when it might happen category.

In terms of new funding, I gather that the FY2014 TIGER grants will be announced soon. Congress is returning for a September session and DOT makes grant announcements like this when Congress is in town, so the House and Senate members can issue press releases praising the award to their state or district and taking some of the credit. Even if they voted against the TIGER funding, of course.

Something else to add to the 2017 group.

"Spring" completion of catenary replacement project with constant tension catenary on the New Haven Line.

MTA update: New Haven Catenary Replacement Project Update (September 2, 2014). Excerpt:

With the start of work on September 6th on the final two segments of the catenary replacement project on the New Haven Line, we are heading down the home stretch, with the finish line in sight, on this massive effort.

Once this project phase is done in spring of 2017, the catenary upgrade project on the Connecticut-side of the line will be completed! Work on the two segments-from East Norwalk to Green's Farms and from Bridgeport to Milford-will start simultaneously and involve replacement of about 10-1/2 miles of catenary along track and in our Bridgeport Yard.

This new work will require a continuous outage of only one of four tracks, which will have a minimal impact on our operations in the area. This project is being funded and managed by the Connecticut Department of Transportation.

We recently completed catenary work in the seven-mile stretch between Southport and Bridgeport, allowing us to route peak-period trains on all four tracks in this area for the first time in four years. It also gave back to us greater operating flexibility and the ability to "run around" potential service disruptions during emergencies. With completion of this segment, 80% of the Connecticut catenary replacement project is finished.

I've been pleasantly surprised to see a few things

added to the "forthcoming" list this year. After almost

4 years of the haters elected to Congress in 2010,

who knew there was any money left to do anything

at all?

​But the initial order for 130 bi-level corridor cars for

the Midwest and Pacific Coast jumped to 175 cars.

Seat of my pants I'd felt the 130 just wasn't gonna be

enuff, and I feared it could be years before the needed

minimums got ordered. Now they are on the way.

And just over a week ago, Gov Quinn announced that

he had $100 million to put into a further upgrade of

the Lincoln route, extending double-tracking, with

a new bridge, for another 20 miles or so. On this route,

more double-tracking could mean the difference in

how soon more frequencies can be added. So even

$100 million worth is a big deal.

​I hope we don't have to wait for another recession to

see another round of substantial investment in our rail

infrastructure. Of course, a recession is way overdue,

going by the average 57 months, about 5 years, from

pre-recession peak to peak, considering that the past

(doesn't seem like quite the right word, does it?) recession

began in December 2007.

We're in a Long Depression a bit like the one from 1873-1896. We'll probably see some more downturns.
I'll avoid reference to any dead economists. But let's just do what Ronald Reagan did:

Cut taxes, spend money, pay for it all with massive borrowing. The economy will probably

recover just as it did under Reagan.

Now, a lot of Reagan's spending was on weapons, to provoke Russia into spending what

it clearly could not afford, to end the Cold War by bankrupting our rival.

But we could cut taxes and spend on domestic infrastructure -- Billions more on passenger rail,

please! -- and borrow to pay for it. We'd surely end up with good results just like Reagan did.

The Long Depression was partly due to "hard money, balance the budget, no taxes on the rich, no regulation of the financial markets" lobbyists having taken over the government... anyway...

LOSSAN thingies

-Sorrento Valley double track (1.1 miles of double track, raised track bed, two wooden trestle bridges replaced).

-San Onofre double track Phase 1 (with phase 2 will be 5.8 miles of double track and wooden trestle bridge replacement).

-Construction starts on third track, additional platform, lengthened platform at Oceanside Transit Center.

-Poinsettia station replaces at grade pedestrian crossing with an undercrossing and an inter-track fence, 15" platforms.

-Los Peñasquitos Lagoon Bridges Replacement (four wooden trestle bridges replaced, allows increased speed)

-Elvira to Morena (2.6 miles of double track and curve realignment).

-San Diego River Bridge (0.9 miles of double track, new double tracked bridge over San Diego River).

late September: Grand Rapids new station opens
From an Amtrak Pere-Marquette 30th anniversary bulletin dated Wednesday 9/10/14.

"The Pere Marquette serves Grand Rapids, Holland, Bangor, and St. Joseph/Benton Harbor, with daily passenger service to and from Chicago. This is one of three state-sponsored routes. Michigan is among 15 states, including Illinois, Missouri and Wisconsin, that sponsors Amtrak for services. Improvements to the service include free Wi-Fi service added last year and a new station location scheduled to open in Grand Rapids next month."

The opening again has been pushed back.....not sure what the new issues are.

Positive news on the West Detroit connector project (Mi DOT press release): West Detroit connector rail project begins this week. Excerpt:

September 30, 2014 -- Work is scheduled to begin this week on a West Detroit connector rail project that will improve efficiency for both passenger and freight rail carriers on Detroit's west side. The project is located near Junction Avenue between US-12 (Michigan Avenue) and Vernor Highway, just east of the Livernois-Junction intermodal yard.

The West Detroit connector project includes replacing the outdated rail bridge over Junction Avenue, installing 1 mile of new track and switches, and improving signals and communications. Once completed, on-time performance will be improved for Amtrak passenger service by eliminating the conflict with freight trains at the West Detroit and Bay City junctions.

During the project, Junction Avenue will have one lane open in each direction. Demolition of the current bridge is scheduled for this upcoming weekend, requiring crews to close Junction Avenue between Michigan Avenue and West Vernor Highway starting at 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 3. The closure is expected to end by 6 a.m. Monday, Oct. 6. During the full closure, traffic will be detoured in each direction via Michigan Avenue, Livernois Avenue and West Vernor Highway.

All work on this project is scheduled to be completed in June 2015
So the Wolverine service should see some trip time improvements by next summer.

This may not quite qualify as the next few years, but it was announced on October 2 by Gov. Malloy that CT was going to move funds so it can proceed with replacing the Walk swing bridge in Norwalk CT on the New Haven line over the next 6 years. Replacing the aging bridge probably won't reduce trip times on the northern NEC, but it will improve reliability as the bridge got stuck open twice in the early summer, stopping Amtrak and Metro-North trains for hours. So at least one of the decrepit movable bridges on the NEC is going to be replaced in the near future.

Hartford Courant: Connecticut To Cobble Together Rest Of Money For Walk Bridge. Excerpt:

The state will come up with the extra $188 million needed to replace the decrepit Norwalk River railroad bridge, but the new span won't be in place until 2020, officials announced Thursday.

Leaving the 118-year-old bridge to continue deteriorating isn't an option, state leaders said, because it's an essential part of the busiest commuter railroad in the country and an economic lifeline between Fairfield County and New York City.

The bridge was built to swing open to allow tall boats to pass through, but in recent years its archaic machinery has been malfunctioning badly. Tens of thousands of Metro-North commuters and Amtrak riders were stranded twice in the early summer when operators couldn't get the bridge to close properly.

Replacing the bridge appears to be a monumentally expensive and time-consuming job; the state Department of Transportation expects that it will cost $465 million and take six years to design, engineer and build.
CT press release: GOV. MALLOY ANNOUNCES PLAN FOR FULL REPLACEMENT OF THE NEW HAVEN LINES WALK BRIDGE

Back