The s#*t hits the fan!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
I could never have dreamed a day like this. :huh:

Got to work at 7:00am and knocked for a loop!!!! :blink:

Yard power still b/o, using locos for ground power and air on the LDT's. 29 cars are stacked up, waiting for the PM line.

Trains will depart late as usual, but this incident takes the cake and creates a major problem later!!!

1) Noticed CSX switch engine #1468, coupled to cars on wheelpit and shut down. Engine and coupled car are at awkward angles. At 10:00pm, switch crew went into pit to pull out cars and all hell broke loose!! The wheel lift table was not properly locked in the up position and when the loco came in, the table shifted!!!!When the front axle dropped on the low side of the table, the other side slammed up into the fuel tank and leaked 3000 gallons of fuel into the wheelpit. The crew was pulled for testing, had to wait for new crew. A spill team was called in to pump out the pit, the manager returned to the property at 10:45 and a P-42 was selected as a switch engine. The CSX crew(freight) did the switching.

P-42's are poor switchers!!! The computers are slow and the controllers are slow to respond. This contributed to the late departures. Manpower at an all-time low!!! :(

#98 was 2-3 hrs late as usual. Spill team has pumped 2000 gallons out by 8:00am and have to dump tank. Come back at noon and continue pumping. Manager has been on property 17 hrs, punch drunk, send him home at 2:20pm. Spill team is pressure-cleaning wheelpit, the motors and controls are OK! :D First good thing today!!!! :eek:

#92 was 30-90 minutes late!!! :D Could this become a trend? :unsure: Looking up?

Pull CSX engine out of pit, Coachyard in a frenzy, trying to get the 42 that was used for switching on #90. Everybody is overwhelmed and here comes the FRA guy to inspect the yard!!!!

#90 is put together, the airman does the brake test and #90 shoves to the station. Hot journal bearing detector has a bad cable and goes off when the truck moves in the curves. FRA guy catches it and electrician changes sensor at station. #90 is now running late. #90 departs late and everything seems OK. Everyone thinks that the sensor is a minor defect and the FRA will make a small notation on inspection report.

Overtime has been authorized 24/7, playing catch-up on PM line. Everyone is stressed and distracted by meyhem. :blink:

FRA guy comes to office and s@*t hits the fan!!!! :( CSX was training a new conductor. Freight cars have 1 airhose, AMTK has two. The loco has 4 cut-off cocks at the rear of loco. Conductor turned all cocks, trying to cut off air during switching. Never turned them back!!!! :eek: When loco was coupled to #90, airman didn't notice brakes on loco during brake test in yard.

Well, the FRA guy caught the infraction!!!! The rear truck of the loco was cut out, no brakes on truck!!! :eek: The foreman, loco maintenance,electrician and airman signed the MAP form, releasing the consist for revenue. :eek:

All defects were dealt with before departure and #90 was late as usual. :(

The loco brakes are a major violation!! :eek: If the loco was used for braking in a curve, the front truck would not be enough to slow the consist. Every engineer brakes differently. Some use air on loco, some use dynamic and some bail off the loco and use the cars to reduce slack in the couplers.

:blink: The foreman, loco machinist, electrician and airman have been drug tested and removed from service for a minmum of 3 days. <_< It's going to be tough filling the spots!!! :(

If the distractions weren't enough, rumors are running rampant that the manager will be fired on Thursday. Nothing's getting done and getting worse.

I'm starting to hate work!!!

Will try to update tomorrow. 18 hr days are starting to take wear on me. Time to hit the sack. 5:45am is right around the corner!!!

MJ B)

:eek: Jeez it hialeah is starting to become a jinxed place. Sorry the stress level keeps going up each consecutive day. Hopefully it wont be as bad tomorrow. Is there any plan to have an amtrak crew take over switching? ;)

Joe, sorry to hear that things are getting worse, after they started to get the slightest bit better.

Hopefully things will get back to abnormal soon! :lol:

Didn't make it to work today!!!! :(

Couldn't get out of bed today, so pretty much slept the whole day away. I think my body was telling me to slow down.

I guess I'll have to work some o/t to make up for the lost day. Hard to believe that I work for the Government and don't get sicktime. This is 2004, isn't it?? :huh:

Will update tommorrow!!!

MJ B)

P.S. They have talked for the last 3 yrs about an AMTK switcher in the yard. There is no contract with CSX and we pay monthly. The problem is the cost of the crews. 2 people per shift and a few to cover the days off will cost alot of money when you figure in benefits.

Miami Joe said:
P.S.  They have talked for the last 3 yrs about an AMTK switcher in the yard. There is no contract with CSX and we pay monthly. The problem is the cost of the crews. 2 people per shift and a few to cover the days off will cost alot of money when you figure in benefits.
Heard that Amtrak has already order switchers from Boise last month or so. Are some switchers heading for "Helleah"?

The switcher are for the NEC. They are specially designed to fit into the tunnels in the area.

Miami Joe said:
Didn't make it to work today!!!! :(
Couldn't get out of bed today, so pretty much slept the whole day away. I think my body was telling me to slow down.

I guess I'll have to work some o/t to make up for the lost day. Hard to believe that I work for the Government and don't get sicktime. This is 2004, isn't it?? :huh:

Will update tommorrow!!!

MJ B)

P.S. They have talked for the last 3 yrs about an AMTK switcher in the yard. There is no contract with CSX and we pay monthly. The problem is the cost of the crews. 2 people per shift and a few to cover the days off will cost alot of money when you figure in benefits.
I wonder if it would be worth it to train maintence employees and certefy them as class 4 license. Im not shure if the class 4 covers switching equipment around the yard. I know it covers moving a train set.

Also thats pitiful that as a governemt employee you dont get any sickdays. I guess they want to work employees till they drop. :lol: :huh:

MJ,

How are you classified are your hourly or salaried? I find it disturbing that you don't get any sick time at all and am trying to figure out how they could do that to you. Sometimes though a Mental Health day (or two or three) can do some good. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back