The Southwest Chief-- How is its OTP?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F59 PHI

Service Attendant
Is the connection from the Cheif to the Starlite one that is reasonable to expect making? How does the cheif usually perform? any help is appreciated. Thanks

--Lincoln

Usually, this train runs on time. Sometimes it is early into Albequereque and into Los Angeles because of padding in the schedule.

I don't remember the exact lenght of this layover. But if it is less than 2 hours, you are flirting with a missed connection.

Also, you can track the trains progress on the Amtrak website. The train arriving into Los Angeles is train 3. If you play with the dates and departure points along the route, you can track a train's prgress from Chicago to LA.

I would be really careful trying to catch the 14 after coming in on 3. I come into LAX on 3 about once a month, and I am often seeing people having to reticket itineraries because of the missed Starlight connection. Granted, this isn't so bad since they made the train arrive at 8:15 instead of 8:40, but I try to catch the northbound 9:05 surfliner and about half the time I end up missing it by a few minutes. :(

So I guess a daytrip to sandiego and a night in LA would be a safer plan. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back