The Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I may have the chance to take #21 from St.Louis to Dallas in a couple of weeks. Is the train usually pretty reliable as far as on-time performance goes? As for scenery, anything of interest in between those two cities? I know the crossing of the Ozarks will take place at night unfortunately. I've heard that Northeast Texas has some pretty areas to it.

Also, upon arriving Dallas, what is the best (ie, cheapest) option to get to DFW International airport? Perhaps it would be a better idea to take the train to Ft.Worth, I'm not sure. The hotel I'll be staying at in the area (Marriott Solana or something like that) is approx. 11 miles from DFW and has a free airport shuttle.

Thanks in advance for any info that you can give me.

Happy railroading.

The Eagle has been doing better lately as far as OTP goes, compared to the way it used to.

Couldn't help you on the scenery, as my only ride on the train was eastbound and it was dark right after we left Dallas.

Trinity Railway Express has a stop somewhat close to DFW, but I don't know if it runs on weekends (if you're traveling on a weekend, that is).

I've rode on Trinity Rail Express from Dallas Union Station to Ft. Worth Intermodal Transportation Center on two different types of trains- bi-level Bombadier cars and other one is DMUs. TRE closes on Sunday

You can use DART airport shuttle bus routes. Click to get more information about it.

Meanwhile, I've rode on DART light-rail (Red Line) in Dallas area which it's pretty good ride. I've tried in Ft. Worth as a tourist and it's not very interesting place to explore.

As rmadisonwi stated, OTP has improved compared to what it was a few years ago. I can't say anything on the airport transfer, but check out that DART link. Here is the DFW Airport Public Transportation page, which may help.

The scenery in Texas isn't bad, but not the most interesting. If I remember correct there are some nice wooded areas. When the sun comes up in Missouri you'll see some good scenery before arriving in St. Louis. Its a nice ride and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Have a great trip!

I live in the area and can help. Though I'm not sure where the Marriot Salona is. But you can arrive in Dallas, cross the platform and board the Trinity Rail Express. Be sure to buy a ticket from the vending machines before you get on. They're about 2.50 or about that. The train runs once an hour from Union Station. You'll go to Centreport/DFW Airport Station. A free bus waits there and takes you up to the terminals. If you have the time you may certainly ride Amtrak to Forth Worth and the TRE back to DFW. Watch out though, the TRE doesn't not run as often in the middle of the day from Fort Worth. The TRE does not operate on Sundays either.

"I've tried in Ft. Worth as a tourist and it's not very interesting place to explore. "

Fort Worth is actually very interesting. The museum district offers several world class art galleries, The Musuem of Science and History, The Water Gardens, catch a performance at the beautiful Bass Performance Hall, as well as the Stockyards. You can catch a bus to all these places. Just ask inside the station.

That Bass Performance Hall is something else. I was very impressed the last time I was in downtown Ft. Worth. Its probably one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen.

There are many things to do as a tourist, such as those mentioned by saxman. Also you can't forget Sundance Square.

Back