The Turbomotive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
Something I wasn't aware of; steam turbine locomotive.

turbom1.jpg

More info here.

I beleive that N&W also did a steam turbine. None were ver successful so they all had a fairly shor life. This is the first I knew that the British ever did one. It must have been quite a challenge to fit everything within the tiny British clearances and relatively light axle load limitations. Mostly very complex mechanically and unforgiving when not adjusted and operated properly.

I beleive that N&W also did a steam turbine. None were ver successful so they all had a fairly shor life. This is the first I knew that the British ever did one. It must have been quite a challenge to fit everything within the tiny British clearances and relatively light axle load limitations. Mostly very complex mechanically and unforgiving when not adjusted and operated properly.
The engine shown in my post;

"This was one of the few experimental turbines which really did beat conventional engines on thermal efficiency, despite having no condenser. This has to be called an engineering success; it covered over 300,000 miles between 1936 and 1945, and was finally taken out of turbine service in 1949. It was rebuilt as a conventional Pacific, and was eventually written off in the catastrophic accident at Harrow in 1952. "

Of course if it were really successful, they would have built more. It still had to contend with diesel/electric.

Back