The UAC Turbo Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode both the earlier RTG Turboliners, which were imported from France, and even had SNCF interior signage and route maps; and the Rohr RTL’s. The RTG’s were narrower, but mechanically similar. They were Amtraks first new rolling stock, and were used between Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit.

I liked the UA Turbo Trains better, also due to the “railfan seats” behind the engineer and the fireman. The Turboliner power cars had a closed off cab, accessed by a crew only door.

Last edited:
I have ridden both the UAC Turbo in CN and VIA service several times and the Amtrak (unsure if remanufactured RTG or Rohr) ones in Empire Service twice. As has been mentioned by others, the UAC suffered from an unforgiving ride on rough track, whereas the built-for-Amtrak ones were relatively smooth. The seats on the Canadian versions of the UAC were smaller and tighter than typical railroad seats of the era, but were comfortable and "high end" feeling - at least in Club class. The windows on the Amtrak models were unbeatable on scenic routes. I was surprised to see a mention of diesel fumes however. Weren't most or all powered by gasoline?

I have ridden both the UAC Turbo in CN and VIA service several times and the Amtrak (unsure if remanufactured RTG or Rohr) ones in Empire Service twice. As has been mentioned by others, the UAC suffered from an unforgiving ride on rough track, whereas the built-for-Amtrak ones were relatively smooth. The seats on the Canadian versions of the UAC were smaller and tighter than typical railroad seats of the era, but were comfortable and "high end" feeling - at least in Club class. The windows on the Amtrak models were unbeatable on scenic routes. I was surprised to see a mention of diesel fumes however. Weren't most or all powered by gasoline?
Gas turbines can run on almost anything that burns, but most typically on kerosene or jet fuel…”

Back