The Vermonter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I had the chance to ride the Vermonter back in 1999 from New Haven up to Essex Junction which turned out to be a gorgeous 7-hour ride in the dead of winter.

Around Amherst I believe (I could be wrong here) the train stopped and it proceeded to undertake the remaining portion of the trip in reverse. It was a big surprise for me that's for sure. Sort of neat actually.

Has this train, even when it was the Montraler, used this same route, or is this "reverse travel" something relatively new?

Thanks!

Stephen in NOL (8 days until my first ride on the Sunset, and my longest Amtrak ride ever)

Stephen, first I should introduce you to the signature feature. In the "Your Control Panel" section you can set a signature that will come up everytime you post, as most members here have. You can also set an Avatar, or logo that you select from the preloaded ones, or a small file you upload.

As for your question the Vermonter has had to change directions at that juncture for many years as it transitions from Conrail to the other small railway they use. This is why two engines (or two controlling ends at least) are necessary.

Hye battalion51, thanks, on both accounts.

I have to go up to Essex for a wedding in October, thinking about taking the Crescent to WAS than connecting to the Vermonter.

The Vermonter has to reverse directions to head up the Mass Central at Palmer, MA. There is no other way to get on to that track from CSX's boston line besides a backup move like Battalion said. They have been doing this since 1995 when the Vermonter replaced the Montrealer. The Montrealer took a different line south of Palmer which met up with the Northeast Corridor at New London which didnt require a backup move.

Ya know whats strange, Battalion has reached 2000 posts at the same exact time as Amfleet reached his 3000th post! I just find that an odd coincidence . . . or maybe it was planned all along :unsure:

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
There's no bettwer way to fly but to fly on Amtrak.
As Homer Simpson once said, "I could be flying across America by train."
I love that quote, the episode was on last Sunday depicting a Santa Fe colored train. I believe it was "Nothing beats flying Across America by train." (thinking the tracks were abandoned

I love that quote, the episode was on last Sunday depicting a Santa Fe colored train. I believe it was "Nothing beats flying Across America by train." (thinking the tracks were abandoned
Thanks for correcting me. Last time I saw that episode was back in the spring.

Ya know whats strange, Battalion has reached 2000 posts at the same exact time as Amfleet reached his 3000th post! I just find that an odd coincidence . . . or maybe it was planned all along :unsure:
No plan, just a coincidence. B)

Yeah that was definitely sheer coincidence. But hey weirder things have happened, i.e. the Sunset running on time. :lol:

Since this train does a reverse move....do the conductors bother

to reverse the coach seats too???? Or if a passenger requests

they do it....will they??? Anyone know the consist of the Vermonter

on a normal basis????

Well lets see here. When the train is set up half the coach seats in the train face one way, the other half the other. If you feel uncomfortable riding backwards you are allowed to move to another seat, as long as you take your seat check. The consist will usually consist of two P-42's (one on each end) and a whole bunch of MUable cars, Capstones, Concept 2000's, and older interiors.

Well Capstones can only be found on Amfleet I Cars, Concept 2000 on both Amfleet I and II. The only really noticable difference is the cloth used on the seats, photos of both are available on my website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back