Thick Stomachs For Amtrak Food?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the most consecutive meals you've had from Amtrak? (Diner or lounge)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-3

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 4-6

Votes: 36 36.0%
  • 7-9

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 10-12

Votes: 18 18.0%

Votes: 2 2.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 16 and up

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm alwasy weary of the specials until I see somebody at the table order one. After all they aren't the chef's special so much as they are the "Aramark Special"... generally I try and pick the dishes the OBS has the most influence over, I know that must sound weird but the less cooking Aramark does and the more cooking Amtrak employees do the better the food is... usually. I would kill for a vegetable medley that wasn't overdone mush. The best chance is to get an early dinner seating on a freshly stocked train, I've found that seating after 7 usually means overdone food.

I'm alwasy weary of the specials until I see somebody at the table order one. After all they aren't the chef's special so much as they are the "Aramark Special"... generally I try and pick the dishes the OBS has the most influence over, I know that must sound weird but the less cooking Aramark does and the more cooking Amtrak employees do the better the food is... usually. I would kill for a vegetable medley that wasn't overdone mush. The best chance is to get an early dinner seating on a freshly stocked train, I've found that seating after 7 usually means overdone food.
Over the past few years, Amtrak (and I assume Aramark) have been creating "chef inspired" dishes with the help of a professional chef. In the case of the beef short-rib I had, it was a recipe developed with the help of Tom Douglas (who owns several excellent restaurants in Seattle.) In a previous thread, it was the opinion of most of the members of this group that these "chef inspired" dishes are usually very good (for train food).

But I agree that Amtrak's chef's do good work and the items made on board are usually very good too.

As of my trip on the CZ last week the vegetable medley (carrots peppers and squash?) is gone replaced by green beans which is a HUGE improvement. They were tasty and prepared perfectly at each meal. I just wish you got a choice of which vegetables you wanted.

Also, I never ate before 6pm at my dinners. No item was overdone and we never ran out of any menu items despite the food being stocked 4/5 days prior (assuming the stocking of the train is done in CHI).

I agree the New Veggies replacing the Tasteless Mixed Veggie Mush are Great! I Really like the Green Beans also ,and the New Deserts are First Rate, Especially the Brownie and the Vanilla Gelato!!! :wub:

And the Western Trains (CZ/EB/SWC/SL) are Re-Stocked when they Reach the West Coast unlike the Texas Eagle which has to Carry the Whole Route's Supplies on the 4 Day/3 Night Turnaround between CHI and SAS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those people who think ketchup is spicy. I tried the half chicken once. I think someone dumped an entire pepper shaker on it. Luckily the rice pilaf resembled cardboard. Mixed together they were edible though in no way enjoyable. Since I ride coach I will save money and bring my own food. If I get desperate I will get a microwave hotdog from the cafe.

I've eaten considerably worse for long stretches of time (up to two weeks, Scout camp) so I don't think that eating Amtrak for a couple of weeks would be an issue.

I'm the wierd one out, I guess. I've been riding with NRPC for 32 years, and only once (1994) was the food a bit 'off'. Otherwise, it's been splendid, especially in the diners. I don't know what culinary fireworks people expect, to have the food turn into a little edible elf and do a dance to impress? My food on Amtrak is consistantly hot/cold as appropriate, nutritious, and tasty. No, it doesn't come served on crystal, and the wait staff doesn't bow down to kiss my feet, but I'd never expect that anywhere (such expectation is a symptom of the disease called greed).

The only gripe with food is the Amcafe's: selection is small and confined generally to salads, sandwiches, and beverages, otherwise in all fairness, the food I've bought in an Amcafe was never spoiled, and did the job. A tuna sandwich is a tuna sandwhich is a tuna sandwich.

I can not take the poll because the wording on the second question measures one's dissatisfaction, with no option of consideration positive satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of those people who think ketchup is spicy. I tried the half chicken once. I think someone dumped an entire pepper shaker on it. Luckily the rice pilaf resembled cardboard. Mixed together they were edible though in no way enjoyable. Since I ride coach I will save money and bring my own food. If I get desperate I will get a microwave hotdog from the cafe.
I'm sensitive to spice too, so if you ever decide to eat in the dining car again, I recommend the steak dinner. It's quite good, and it isn't spicy at all. It comes with a baked potato (with packets of butter and sour cream) and steamed veggies. I had green beans last time, and they weren't mushy at all. Plus, the steak was prepared exactly the way I ordered it, and they even put the gravy on the side so I could add however much I wanted.

I'm sensitive to spice too, so if you ever decide to eat in the dining car again, I recommend the steak dinner. It's quite good, and it isn't spicy at all. It comes with a baked potato (with packets of butter and sour cream) and steamed veggies. I had green beans last time, and they weren't mushy at all. Plus, the steak was prepared exactly the way I ordered it, and they even put the gravy on the side so I could add however much I wanted.
Have to agree: the steak is my standard default meal - never had a less than excellent one.

Fish / seafood for me! Always good, like I said. And my Mom is a stickler about her beloved chicken; if it tickles her fancy (which the Amchefs do), then they doin' somehing right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back