This is ridiculous!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cbender said:
Out here on Long Island, it really takes a big storm for the LIRR to have snow issues (or at least it seems that way). But I assume that part of the reason for that is the high number of trains traveling over these tracks. I imagine that out west where tracks are not used as frequently, snow would be more likely to build up and cause problems.
From what I've been hearing from back home (I'm originally from LI) it seems that just the threat of snow is pitching the LIRR fits. Then again it always seemed that whenever it snowed even a couple of inches that the LIRR always had problems.

However, I am interested to see what the storm that's supposed to come in tonight and last until Monday will do in the Sierra as they're predicting between 3-5 feet of additional snow up there. Should be interesting to say the least.

From what I've been hearing from back home (I'm originally from LI) it seems that just the threat of snow is pitching the LIRR fits. Then again it always seemed that whenever it snowed even a couple of inches that the LIRR always had problems.
Probably my experience is because I don't ride the LIRR all that often. I honestly can't remember when the last time a train I was on was delayed, but I tend to not ride during peak hours and I probably didn't take more than a dozen round trips in the past 6 months. I do hear on the news about the LIRR having all kinds of schedule delays, but usually the cause of these is something other than snow.

Chad

cbender said:
Probably my experience is because I don't ride the LIRR all that often. I honestly can't remember when the last time a train I was on was delayed, but I tend to not ride during peak hours and I probably didn't take more than a dozen round trips in the past 6 months. I do hear on the news about the LIRR having all kinds of schedule delays, but usually the cause of these is something other than snow.

Chad
The LIRR's performance seems to depend on the type of snow (wet vs. dry), how fast it falls, how deep it gets, and does it hit during rush hour or not.

They've had a couple of nice meltdowns with 10 or more inches. However, they also had a meltdown with only about 5 or 6 inches just two years ago, I think, might have been 3. That latter meltdown was caused by similar problems that Metro North had last year, where the snow was so dry that it was sucked into the electronics of the cars and the doorways.

The LIRR has less problems with that issue last year, in large part thanks to all the new equipment they've gotten over the last 4 years or so. That of course being the new Bi-Levels and the M7 cars.

Overall though after having lived in NYC for 15 + years now and watching what happens with snow, it seems that Metro North's under-running third rail does better in the snow, than does the LIRR over-running third rail.

More than 12 inches within 8 to 10 hours seems to wreak havoc for either RR, since switches freeze up and get jammed with snow and that of course affects both diesel and electrics.

Wet snow causes less problems with the electronics on the cars, than does dry snow. That problem however is being helped with the arrival of new cars to both RR's.

Train frequency does help, as moving trains help to blow the snow clear and keep the third rails from icing. In fact both RR's will often run empty trains during the night if it's snowing, just to help keep the track clear.

AlanB said:
rail sale said:
The real ridiculous thing is you have to use the CZ to go LNK to CHI
I see nothing ridiculous about using the CZ LNK to CHI, after all the whole point of Amtrak is to get people from one place to another. Yes he may be missing the best scenery on the route, but Amtrak is in the transportation business not the tourism business.
I do it all the time, the problem is it's within the 500 mile circle and we should have another option.

rooting to high speed midwest rail!

PRR 60 said:
AlanB said:
I see nothing ridiculous about using the CZ LNK to CHI, after all the whole point of Amtrak is to get people from one place to another.  Yes he may be missing the best scenery on the route, but Amtrak is in the transportation business not the tourism business.
The problem is that using a train that originates in California and is subject to the delays inherent in traversing the Sierras, the Rockies, and UP territory is not a very effective way of providing transportation between eastern Nebraska and Chicago. For this market, the transportation function is not well served by Amtrak's single daily train that leaves at 4:15am, takes 11 hours for the trip, and is routinely hours late.

I think we all know that Amtrak has little choice in this. In some respects, Lincoln and Omaha are lucky to have any intercity train service at all. But, if you just want transportation, a short drive up to Omaha will permit a choice of 18 non-stop, 75 minute flights a day at a cost as low as $60 each way. There is even decent UA Express service out Lincoln with three flights a day at a similar cost.

Unless someone is determined to ride a train, the CZ is not a great way to get to Chicago from Lincoln.
Well excuse me for not knowing the Zephyr is delayed a lot. It's not like Amtrak exactly advertsies this. Well they did say it "may be delayed" due to freight trains, but of course they don't say by how much.

Anyways if I had a car I wouldn't drive to Eppley, I'd drive all the way to Chicago. But I don't so obviously getting to Omaha is not easy. The Greyhound goes to Omaha but for some reason their schedules aren't posted online and they drop off in Downtown Omaha not the airport which means I'd have to walk 3 miles to the airport or take a taxi and if Omaha is anything like Lincoln, then taxi service and public transit will pretty much be nonexistant. The shuttle that goes to the Omaha airport from Lincoln is expensive too, around $50 roundtrip. Of course I could always ask someone for a rid but not too many people want to make a 100 mile roundtrip on a Friday and then come back on a Monday.

Greyhound takes long and I am not feeling sitting on a bus for 10-12 hours. It's not even cheap either; in fact it costs more than Amtrak or even flying in some cases!

So Amtrak seemed like the best option..it's not like I've ever done this before or I would have known not to take it.

The other thing is I was browsing on here and I remember reading about winter weather and someone mentioned that Amtrak is often more reliable in winter weather. So I figured why be stranded at the airport when I could be chugging away on a train lol.

The storm wasn't as bad here in the Sacramento valley as first expected. However, it was murder in the Sierra where they are measuring the snow in feet. 6(8) derailed a sleeper near Donner pass which was sitting on one of the storage tracks at Sacramento Depot probably until they could deadhead it to Oakland. Now with the coast line closed though should make the Starlate situation interesting.

Back