This is why you carry two engines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the spotter is a big drain on the engine when its coupled up to a train, it's mostly for use when the engine is running light. No more than half a mile at most.

What is the max speed the spotter can bring the locomotive up to? (obviuosly you don't want to go fast around the yard and max speed for a p42 running light it 50mph).

Not sure on the MSP, but its probably no more than 10 MPH. Whenever I've seen them moving around the diesel shops at Sanford theyre not exactly flyin around. But then again if you go too fast on that jointed rail in the yard you're likely to derail anyway.

That's probably about it. I wonder if a train has ever actually tried to be pulled a short distance that way. ;)

My guess would be no, the spotter is a big drain on your battery, so if you're going to start moving stuff around fire up the diesel, or heck call the switcher over to move it. :lol:

Unaccustomed as I am to the "lingo" of trains and such, I must admit I was shocked when I read "92 dead in Avon Park!!!" Please spare my heart any future shocks and label your discussion topic a little less dramatically! :unsure: Pheww!! I had visions of 92 dead bodies littered about some desolate spot called Avon Park. :( Thankfully I was spared further damage to my ticker, after I read on into the topic and discovered that all the drama was to do with an engine breaking down!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

KiwiKate said:
Unaccustomed as I am to the "lingo" of trains and such, I must admit I was shocked when I read "92 dead in Avon Park!!!" Please spare my heart any future shocks and label your discussion topic a little less dramatically! :unsure: Pheww!! I had visions of 92 dead bodies littered about some desolate spot called Avon Park. :( Thankfully I was spared further damage to my ticker, after I read on into the topic and discovered that all the drama was to do with an engine breaking down!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not wishing to give anyone else a heart attack Kate, I've fixed the title slightly to make it clearer that it wasn't passengers who died. :)

Sorry bout that Kate. I do have a tendancy to use railroader vernacular a lot, i.e. "Yeah the crew is dead" means the crew hit their 12 hours of service and is stuck where they are. "The engine s*** the bed" means a dead engine. Sorry for any confusion.

Just watched the Texas Eagle SB pull into Dallas with seven Superliner cars, one baggage car but only one engine. Guess there are shortages.

Yeah, the Texas Eagle has been running with a single engine for at least a year now. The limit for one P42 is 8 cars, so they are running right at that limit. I haven't heard of a time that the train went dead, but it has probably happened within the past year....

Usually it's the higher numbered 42's that have a tendancy to die. As my friend Ron says, "Warrington got those engines for a song." And let's just say, you get what you pay for.

Anybody know what they changed the NB Heartland Flyer from Ft. Worth to OKC to a later departure? It now doesn't get to OKC until almost 11 p.m. Also, what are they using for an engine on that service? I assume they only have one or two cars.

The Daily Ardmorite newspaper says:

"Ridership on Oklahoma's Heartland Flyer passenger train continues its upward spiral. In January 2004, ridership was up 17.4 percent over January 2003 and revenue was up 27.2 percent. Total riders since the service began as of Jan. 31, was 262,913."

And one point they had said they planned to extend this train another 188 miles north to Newton. It would then provide a link between the Texas Eagle and SW Chief. They would be able to use the same equipment. Anything ever come of that?

panamaclipper said:
Anybody know what they changed the NB Heartland Flyer from Ft. Worth to OKC to a later departure? It now doesn't get to OKC until almost 11 p.m. Also, what are they using for an engine on that service? I assume they only have one or two cars.
Well the train uses 2 P-42 locomotives as the power and three Superliner/Hi-LEvel cars (I think it's usually 1 SI Coach, 1 SI Snack Coach and a Hi Level Coach). At one point they were using and F-40 and an F-40 Cabbage, but all the F-40's have been retired and the Cabbage has been shifted to the Midwest. So now they use two ponies for the train, which could be considered a waste of power, but at least the train will be moving right along. :lol: This route is probably under consideration for RDC use once they come on line.

I didn't know about the RDCs. Will these be new units are rehabs of the older RDCs that used to be so common.

The new units are a new design that's roughly based on the Colorado Railcar DMU. Each car holds approximately 70 passengers with a restroom and a center vestibule compatible with both high level and low level platforms. The cab is designed similarly to that of the Pacific Surfliner Cab Cars, with Engineer and Fireman controls, but with the doors configured so that the car can be used in the middle of a consist if necessary.

Wow that's interesting. I had no idea. Whatever, I hope they will consider extending this train to connect with the SW Chief. It's such a short distance and would really open up a whole new ridership.

battalion51 said:
So now they use two ponies for the train, which could be considered a waste of power, but at least the train will be moving right along. :lol:
I suspect that this train doesn't move right along. Remember these are old freight RR cars. Odds are that they don't have the necessary control cables running through the cars. Therefore it's more than likely that the engineer can only control the head engine. The trailing unit is just along for the ride. Or should I say that it's a real drag. :lol:

Odds are that they don't have the necessary control cables running through the cars. Therefore it's more than likely that the engineer can only control the head engine. The trailing unit is just along for the ride.
One would think Alan. Except for one minor (check that major problem), what you described is illegal. By FRA rule the Engineer must have complete and total control of any unit in his/her train that is not considered a dead engine (for example when Chris Fussell brought 231 to PDX from BG it's engine brakes were disabled making it operate just like a regular car). This is why when there is an MU failure someone must be positioned in that trailing unit to ensure its brakes don't lock up. If an Engineer is found to be operating two engines without MU control of the other he and his Conductor(s) will spend at least 30 days on the street. Also don't forget Alan the Hi-Levels (and any Heritage car for that matter) originally were steam heated and didn't have HEP or COMM cables. Now every car has HEP and COMM cables. An MU cable is no different to install.

If because of severe shortage Amtrak was forced to lease an engine or two from someone else, could they and would it work with their fleet?

Well it probably wouldn't come to that, since Amtrak has actually mothballed most of its P40 engines. They could simply reactivate them, if they were to have a power shortage.

However, to answer your question specifically. Yes they could lease engines if needed. However there are a few considerations. Most freight engines are not set up to provide electrical power to the passenger cars. Therefore unless they found the right type of engine, any freight engine would need to be paired with an Amtrak engine.

Also one has to watch out for the fact that most freight engines are do not have the necessary equipment to run at speeds faster 79 MPH. This means that either the freight engines can't lead or they should only lead on runs where higher speeds are not permitted.

AlanB said:
Well it probably wouldn't come to that, since Amtrak has actually mothballed most of its P40 engines. They could simply reactivate them, if they were to have a power shortage.
However, to answer your question specifically. Yes they could lease engines if needed. However there are a few considerations. Most freight engines are not set up to provide electrical power to the passenger cars. Therefore unless they found the right type of engine, any freight engine would need to be paired with an Amtrak engine.

Also one has to watch out for the fact that most freight engines are do not have the necessary equipment to run at speeds faster 79 MPH. This means that either the freight engines can't lead or they should only lead on runs where higher speeds are not permitted.
Freight engines can only run between 65 & 70 MPH thats it. :)

I didn't know they still had the P40s. Certainly getting a few of them running would be cheaper and easier than renting other engines.

Amtrak currently has plenty of diesel power, they've got more than enough P42's to go around. Plus there are still some Pespi cans still in service, the P32-8's. Next there are the P32-ACDM's which run on the Empire Corridor. Then there are some P40's still in use, mainly on the Auto Train, in addition to those that have been mothballed. Finally they've got some F59's that are mainly in service on the west coast.

If Amtrak has a power shortage, it's with regard to the supply of electric engines. With the retirement of the E60's, coupled with the Acela problems, they are hurting for NEC engines. Currently they borrow a few NJT electric motors for daily service on the Clockers.

AlanB said:
If Amtrak has a power shortage, it's with regard to the supply of electric engines. With the retirement of the E60's, coupled with the Acela problems, they are hurting for NEC engines. Currently they borrow a few NJT electric motors for daily service on the Clockers.
Only about 35 electric locomotives are needed daily to cover operations on the NEC. The reason there's a shortage is because of all the mechanical problems with the new HHP-8 and the non-rebuilt AEM-7 locomotives. Altogether, if Amtrak can get the whole electric fleet fully operational, there are 65 locomotives. Almost double what is needed to cover NEC service, giving Amtrak a surplus and the option of running Keystone trains between Philadelphia and Harrisburg with electirc locomotives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back