Thruway Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Timmy

Are there laptop power outlets on Amtrak buses? Or, movies on video screens?

Over 24 people see this and no one knows the answer? What the heck kind of forum is this? Anybody here know ANYTHING abut Amtrak? Sheesh. Thanks for nothing.

-Timmy

Guest said:
Over 24 people see this and no one knows the answer? What the heck kind of forum is this? Anybody here know ANYTHING abut Amtrak? Sheesh. Thanks for nothing.
-Timmy
You asked your question in the late evening for many of our posters, and you post your reply insulting everyone in the middle of most posters' workdays. I would suggest that you exercise restraint and patience when requesting free assistance from the devoted members of our community.

I would venture to guess that Amtrak motorcoaches do NOT have laptop power outlets. I have a feeling that movies on video screens would vary from bus to bus, or bus company to bus company. Amtrak contracts with regional bus lines and does not own a fleet of their own vehicles.

Anthony said:
Guest said:
Over 24 people see this and no one knows the answer?  What the heck kind of forum is this?  Anybody here know ANYTHING abut Amtrak?  Sheesh.  Thanks for nothing.
-Timmy
You asked your question in the late evening for many of our posters, and you post your reply insulting everyone in the middle of most posters' workdays. I would suggest that you exercise restraint and patience when requesting free assistance from the devoted members of our community.
Not to mentiond the fact that we are railfans, not bus fans. Most of us don't make a habit of taking Amtrak's Thruway buses since buses are not what interests us. We ride the trains, not the buses!

Now notwithstanding your rather insulting post :angry: , you'll find my answer below this post.

BNSF_1088 said:
Timmy said:
Are there laptop power outlets on Amtrak buses?  Or, movies on video screens?
It all depends on who Amtrak hires for the bus service
As BNSF mentioned, Amtrak does not actually operate the buses, They contract out with different bus companies, including Greyhound and other local bus companies. Therefore what may be true for one Thruway bus run, will not be true of the next one since each company decides what type of bus to use.

By and large the buses used are intercity buses, but I don't think that any have electrical outlets. I also rather suspect that you won't find video monitors on most of the runs. The bus companies are not going to use their best buses for Amtrak. They are going to reserve their best buses for their own charter groups who are paying them far more money than Amtrak is paying for a contract service.

Personally I've only been on one Thruway bus, operated by James River in Virginia, and they didn't have movie screens or outlets on the bus. This however was a very short run, under an hour. Perhaps on longer runs, you may find videos, but I wouldn't bet on it.

But again, Amtrak only contracts out these buses. Amtrak does not actually run the bus, own the bus, nor do they put Amtrak crews on the bus. The bus driver works for the bus company, not Amtrak.

The Northern California Thruway routes have neither laptop outlets nor video screens.

Same for Florida Thruway Service operated by Martz have no such animal either. Just a bus.

Got bustituted from Klamath Falls to Portland. No outlets, no sanity. It did however have small tv monitors (4) mounted to the ceiling, but they didn't work. I expect that when you ride the dog (or one of its friends) you should expect no less than a dogs accomodations. The ride we took reminded me why I don't ride buses-not that I needed the reminder.

ps I happened to be one who read that post and didn't reply. I haven't actually rode on an "Amtrak Thruway" although I have seen plenty when I lived in CA. My first thought was: Are you kidding! It's a bus! Not knowing for sure though, I didn't reply. Sorry I thought that, but like most, I would (time permitting) stay overnight and ride the train than be bustituted.

AlanB said:
Anthony said:
Guest said:
-Timmy
Most of us don't make a habit of taking Amtrak's Thruway buses since buses are not what interests us. We ride the trains, not the buses!

Now notwithstanding your rather insulting post :angry: , you'll find my answer below this post.
Aloha

I'll be D***d if after a 5 hour flight I am going to ride a BUS, excuse me MOTOR Coach, If I can't take the train, I will just fly. This is as close to a bus as I want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back