Ticket/Boarding Pass Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpireBuilderFan1976

Service Attendant
A quick question about tickets/boarding passes. Usually when I purchase tickets from Amtrak.com I just pick up the tickets at the station the day of my trip. This year, however, I had the tickets sent to me so I would not have to pick them up at the station.

My question is, now that I have my tickets, do I still need to check in at the ticket desk at the Portland station? I am not checking any luggage. So can I just board the train with the tickets I received or does the ticket clerk need to give me a boarding pass as well? It seems some stations require check in and others don't. Last year I already had my tickets, but when I got to the Cinncinati train station the clerk required all of us to check in.

You should be able to just walk up to the train. No Agent should require you to check in with them, because its really the Conductor's responsibility unless you are checking bags.

Once you have your Amtrak tickets there is no need to stop at the ticketing desk before proceeding to the train. At some smaller stations on long distance routes where there are new conductors waiting to take over operation of the train, the conductors will sometimes attempt to sweep the station and take everyone's ticket in exchange for seat checks prior to boarding the train. This is commonly done at the Reno station so that the conductors don't have to walk the train and collect tickets after everyone boards. Instead, the passengers just put the seat checks they were given inside the station above their seats to hold them. Possibly this is the boarding pass you are referring to in regards to the Cincinatti station? I have also seen this same process occur in Klamath Falls, OR.

If you are taking a Cascades train North towards to Seattle or South to Eugene, you will need to "check in" to get a seat assignment. The conductors do assign Cascade seats in the station before boarding near the doors to the tracks (not the ticket counter). If taking the Coast Starlight or Empire Builder, then you do not need to "check in".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back