Ticket from OKC printed in FTW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
Took the HF from OKC to FTW this weekend, completely sold out Fri-Sun. People were showing up Fri morning expecting to be able to buy tickets and were getting turned away.

I went down to the station the night before to print my tickets so I don't have to wait in the long line for the single QT machine in the morning. My return ticket printed fine, but the machine said my ticket out of OKC could not be printed and to call Amtrak.

I explained to the agent what was happening and was put on hold for several minutes. The agent then asked if I had been in FTW that day and I told her no. She said my ticket had been printed there and put me on a long hold to find out what I should do. She came back and said the ticket was sent up to OKC on that evenings train and the conductor would have it for me in the morning. I asked why this happened and she could not give me an explanation.

I showed up a little earlier than normal the next day because of this. There was a representative from ODOT there helping people use the QT machine, but I just skipped the line and went to the conductor to board the train. I explained to him exactly what happened and he said I couldn't board the train unless I printed my ticket. So I explained the situation a second time emphasizing that Amtrak told me he should have my ticket. He said that didn't sound right and he would let me board, then call Amtrak himself to find out what was going on.

On board when they collected tickets he took my name and reservation number. About 20 minutes later the assistant conductor shows up with my ticket. He said you didn't tell us it was an award ticket and then walked off.

This was a very strange situation for me, and further reinforced my feelings that the HF tends to have pretty rude staff with the way they treated me and how they general treat passengers. Does anyone have any ideas on why they printed my ticket in FTW or why it being a rewards ticket would be treated differently? Both were AGR tickets and this only happened with the one.

The Heartland Flyer crews are really strange. They usually check all passenger IDs before boarding (instead of the random method specified in the rule book), and often check people's baggage tags (once they made a fuss because my baggage tag had my business address, not the address on my driver's license). All I can say is that they are pretty much isolated from the Amtrak system and have created their own universe.

I've always found the Heartland Flyer staff to be very polite and professional. Yes they may do things "outside the system" but they get the job done efficiently while keeping passengers happy and content. I wonder if anyone has yet confirmed seeing dinosaurs in the Washita River :)

I understand if there is not enough time to mail tickets, those tickets are printed the day before and sent up on that night's train ready to be given to those pax the next day. Only OKC has a QT machine and that just came in recently.

I guess I will never know why they printed my ticket. In the future I will go print them at least 2 days in advance.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to live in a city with Amtrak service, but the HF is my least favorite of all the corridor services I have ridden. The issues with checking all IDs can really slow things down, especially when 50+ people are boarding in Norman.

I have personally witnessed the staff being rude to riders on several occasions over the last year and do feel they tend to carry a negative attitude a lot of the time. I even saw a first time rider get threatened to be thrown off the train for saying "oh that sucks" to the conductor when he was informed the cafe car wasn't open yet. Not a great first impression of Amtrak.

The Flyer crews are a theater of the absurd. I have seen 50 people standing in the rain in Norman while all IDs are checked. When I questioned this the conductor threatened not to board me. On one trip they would not let anyone use the baggage rack in the lower level because "luggage must stay with the passenger."

I guess I will never know why they printed my ticket. In the future I will go print them at least 2 days in advance.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to live in a city with Amtrak service, but the HF is my least favorite of all the corridor services I have ridden. The issues with checking all IDs can really slow things down, especially when 50+ people are boarding in Norman.

I have personally witnessed the staff being rude to riders on several occasions over the last year and do feel they tend to carry a negative attitude a lot of the time. I even saw a first time rider get threatened to be thrown off the train for saying "oh that sucks" to the conductor when he was informed the cafe car wasn't open yet. Not a great first impression of Amtrak.
Sorry there are no answers. It seems really odd to me.

The one time I rode the HF, there was some really loud, obnoxious lady who ran the snack bar. Everyone was crowded into the little hallway between the station and the stairs (before they were using the station) and she was very rudely yelling out "instructions" for everyone. I was embarrassed for Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back