Time to book the Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmgreenesq

Lead Service Attendant
Greetings Gang:

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Auto Train for June and have a few questions about the booking process.

1. I'm booking two roomettes on the way down. I understand that in order to get two rooms across the hall from each other, I need to call Amtrak, book this over the phone, and request two roomettes across the hall. Will Amtrak hold this reservation and let me go to South Station to pick up the tickets or will they insist on a credit card number and purchase the tickets? Since the free tickets by mail is gone, if I give the agent a credit card, can I pick up the tickets at Lorton the day of the trip or will I have trouble getting into the parking lot? Is this such a good idea?

2. I'm trying to decide between booking a bedroom and the family bedroom for the return trip. There are three of us in the party: One 6' 6" 300+lb person (c'est moi), One 5'4" adult, and one 3' five year old. Amtrak.com will sell me a bedroom for this trip, but I'm wondering if all three of us will fit. The five year old has her heart set on sleeping on the top bunk. Would the two adults in this party fit on the lower bed of the bedroom? From the photos on Amtrak.com, the lower bed does not look all that big, but I've never been in anyting bigger than a roomette. Any experience from the field?

3. Anybody on here driven down to Lorton from New England before? Once the possibility of heavy traffic in Hartford, NYC, Baltimore, and Washington is accounted for (NJ Tpke skips Philly) it appears that we would need to leave Central Massachusetts at about 2:00 am in order to get to Lorton by 11:00 am. BTW do we need to be there at 11:00 am or would noon or 1:00 pm work? Should I decide to drive down the night before, are there any cheap motels in the area that this board would recommend?

As alawys any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rick

1. I'm booking two roomettes on the way down. I understand that in order to get two rooms across the hall from each other, I need to call Amtrak, book this over the phone, and request two roomettes across the hall. Will Amtrak hold this reservation and let me go to South Station to pick up the tickets or will they insist on a credit card number and purchase the tickets? Since the free tickets by mail is gone, if I give the agent a credit card, can I pick up the tickets at Lorton the day of the trip or will I have trouble getting into the parking lot? Is this such a good idea?
Yes, if you want to be guarenteed roomettes opposite one another, then you must call Amtrak or show up at an Amtrak station to make that reservation. You do not need to give them a credit card at the time of making a phone reservation, but you must pick up and pay for the tickets within 7 days of making the reservation. If you do give the phone agent a credit card and pay for the tickets at that time, then you can wait to pick up the tickets until your arrival at Lorton. Of course you can also pick up your tickets at South Station, Back Bay, Rt. 128, and even Worcester; the choice is yours. Just remember that you cannot pick up the tickets from a Quik Trak machine regardless of whether you did pay at the time of making the reservation or not.

2. I'm trying to decide between booking a bedroom and the family bedroom for the return trip. There are three of us in the party: One 6' 6" 300+lb person (c'est moi), One 5'4" adult, and one 3' five year old. Amtrak.com will sell me a bedroom for this trip, but I'm wondering if all three of us will fit. The five year old has her heart set on sleeping on the top bunk. Would the two adults in this party fit on the lower bed of the bedroom? From the photos on Amtrak.com, the lower bed does not look all that big, but I've never been in anyting bigger than a roomette. Any experience from the field?
I think that you'd be very snug in the bedroom with two adults in that lower bunk. I've seen people do it, but then they tend to be a bit thinner than your party. The bed's demensions are only 3' 4" wide, so mark off an area on your bed and home and then see if you guys can be comfortable within that area.

I'd personally recommend the family room, as I think you'd be far more comfortable. While there is something to be said for having a toilet in your room, it's really not that big of an advantage when compared to the extra space in the family room. The shower in the bedroom is almost unusable IMHO and I always head downstairs to the public shower anyhow.

3. Anybody on here driven down to Lorton from New England before? Once the possibility of heavy traffic in Hartford, NYC, Baltimore, and Washington is accounted for (NJ Tpke skips Philly) it appears that we would need to leave Central Massachusetts at about 2:00 am in order to get to Lorton by 11:00 am. BTW do we need to be there at 11:00 am or would noon or 1:00 pm work? Should I decide to drive down the night before, are there any cheap motels in the area that this board would recommend?
First, you must be there by 2:00 PM if you are driving a van, SUV, or pickup. If you are in a car, then the latest you can arrive is 3:00 PM. I would however not suggest planning the trip to arrive at those times. You will definately need some slack in the schedule to allow for traffic issues as you will almost surely see some. I've never driven from your neck of the woods, but I have left from NYC and also the Scranton area of PA. Both times I was on the road by like 7:00 AM IIRC. One other time I left NYC the night before and overnighted in Maryland, just north of DC.

Next, from Worcester you might want to consider avoiding 95 for the bulk of your run. You can do that by catching the Mass Pike west to I-84 west to I-81 south to Harrisburg PA. At Harrisburg you'd have two choices depending on the time of day. One would be to stay with I-81 to I-70 east to I-270 and then the Capitol Beltway I-495 and onto I-95 to Lorton. If traffic isn't an issue, you could also take I-83 out of Harrisburg to Baltimore, catching the beltway there I-695 and then onto I-95 south.

Finally if you haven't already take a look at OTOL's Auto Train Hints and Tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the free tickets by mail is gone
I do not understand what this means.
It means that you now have to pay to have tickets mailed to you.
Correct. Unless you are boarding at a station without a ticket office, or where the ticket office is normally closes at the scheduled boarding time for your train, Amtrak will no longer mail your tickets to you for free. You must either pick up your tickets at the station or pay $12 to have them mailed to you.

Correct. Unless you are boarding at a station without a ticket office, or where the ticket office is normally closes at the scheduled boarding time for your train, Amtrak will no longer mail your tickets to you for free. You must either pick up your tickets at the station or pay $12 to have them mailed to you.
A ticket office or a Quicktrak machine? Or do none have the latter but not the former?

A ticket office or a Quicktrak machine? Or do none have the latter but not the former?

You cannot use Quiktrak machine for AutoTrain. Usually, the Quiktrak machine is located within the ticket office. Whenever you find a shorter line, take it. It doesn't matter which one you want to use.

Yes, if you want to be guarenteed roomettes opposite one another, then you must call Amtrak or show up at an Amtrak station to make that reservation. You do not need to give them a credit card at the time of making a phone reservation, but you must pick up and pay for the tickets within 7 days of making the reservation. If you do give the phone agent a credit card and pay for the tickets at that time, then you can wait to pick up the tickets until your arrival at Lorton. Of course you can also pick up your tickets at South Station, Back Bay, Rt. 128, and even Worcester; the choice is yours. Just remember that you cannot pick up the tickets from a Quik Trak machine regardless of whether you did pay at the time of making the reservation or not.
Alan:

Thanks for your advice. South Station is the closest station to the Federal Building, so I think I'll pick them up and pay there. The Worcester Ticket office is open 9 am to 5 pm monday to friday (that's why there is no checked bagage service on Saturdays). I'm not normally in Worcester during business hours and normaly nowhere near BBY or RTE.

And in order to avoid tying up my own cash, I'll take a company check or cash and pay for the trip.

I think that you'd be very snug in the bedroom with two adults in that lower bunk. I've seen people do it, but then they tend to be a bit thinner than your party. The bed's demensions are only 3' 4" wide, so mark off an area on your bed and home and then see if you guys can be comfortable within that area.
I'd personally recommend the family room, as I think you'd be far more comfortable. While there is something to be said for having a toilet in your room, it's really not that big of an advantage when compared to the extra space in the family room. The shower in the bedroom is almost unusable IMHO and I always head downstairs to the public shower anyhow.
I laid down a tape measure on the bed and laid down. My wife and I would have a very snug ride on the lower bunk. Think we'll get the family bedroom. Not sure what we will do for the return to So Cal next year. Probably be two roomettes.

First, you must be there by 2:00 PM if you are driving a van, SUV, or pickup. If you are in a car, then the latest you can arrive is 3:00 PM. I would however not suggest planning the trip to arrive at those times. You will definately need some slack in the schedule to allow for traffic issues as you will almost surely see some. I've never driven from your neck of the woods, but I have left from NYC and also the Scranton area of PA. Both times I was on the road by like 7:00 AM IIRC. One other time I left NYC the night before and overnighted in Maryland, just north of DC.
Next, from Worcester you might want to consider avoiding 95 for the bulk of your run. You can do that by catching the Mass Pike west to I-84 west to I-81 south to Harrisburg PA. At Harrisburg you'd have two choices depending on the time of day. One would be to stay with I-81 to I-70 east to I-270 and then the Capitol Beltway I-495 and onto I-95 to Lorton. If traffic isn't an issue, you could also take I-83 out of Harrisburg to Baltimore, catching the beltway there I-695 and then onto I-95 south.
I usually avoid I-95. I take the pike to I-84 to I-684 to I-287. As I approach NYC, I put on WABC or a similar talk station for a traffic update. If traffic on the Major Deegan is OK, I'll take it (I-87) into Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge. If traffic in the city is nasty, I'll cross at the Tapanzee Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway to the Turnpike. From there to the NJ turnpike to I-95, betlway etc. If I leave the house at 2:00 am, I should hit NYC at about 6:00 am. Yuck.

If I head south on a Saturday, traffic in NYC shouldn't be too bad at 6:00 am.

Finally if you haven't already take a look at OTOL's Auto Train Hints and Tips.
Thanks for that. I'll take a look at it. I might head down to Pennsylvania and crash and freeload with some friends outside Philadelphia. Then on to Lorton. BTW I'll be driving a minivan.

Rick

As I approach NYC, I put on WABC or a similar talk station for a traffic update. If traffic on the Major Deegan is OK, I'll take it (I-87) into Manhattan to the George Washington Bridge. If traffic in the city is nasty, I'll cross at the Tapanzee Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway to the Turnpike. From there to the NJ turnpike to I-95, betlway etc. If I leave the house at 2:00 am, I should hit NYC at about 6:00 am. Yuck.
My favorite station is 1010 WINS on the AM dial. They do traffic reports every 10 minutes on the ones.

My favorite station is 1010 WINS on the AM dial. They do traffic reports every 10 minutes on the ones.
Also, WCBS (880 on the AM dial) has traffic every 10 minutes on the eights. I find that listening to both will give you a complete picture of the Tri-State Area traffic situation. One inevitably covers something the other has missed.

Of course, if you have XM Satellite Radio, they have a dedicated New York City traffic and weather channel -- can't go wrong with that! :)

Drew

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm now looking at a Sunday trip south. Amtrak's yield management system wants an additional $50 for a Saturday trip on the Auto Train. I can't imagine that traffic in NYC will be too bad at 6:00 am on Sunday morning.

Funny you should mention WINS, It comes in clear as a bell up here in New England. I have an old analogue tuner on my clock radio. I will often times find WINS (1010 mHz) when looking for Boston's WBZ (1030 mHz).

I used to have Sirius Satellite Radio. They had a combination NYC/LA traffic Channel. 4 minutes of LA traffic, 4 minutes of NYC traffic. That channel made me homesick for LA.

Rick

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm now looking at a Sunday trip south. Amtrak's yield management system wants an additional $50 for a Saturday trip on the Auto Train. I can't imagine that traffic in NYC will be too bad at 6:00 am on Sunday morning.
No things shouldn't be too bad at that hour in NY on a Sunday. Wilmington, Baltimore, and DC could be another matter though. :unsure:

And I'm not shocked about the pricing difference, since most people finish work on Friday, go home and pack and then leave on Saturday for their vacation.

Aloha

Wow 1010 WINS is still broadcasting. I listened to them 1958-62. Do they still do "The witching Hour" Broadcast at 12:01am. Really good radio drama, "The Pit and the Pendulum" or one about a Taxidermist, are my favorite's. :)

Funny you should mention WINS, It comes in clear as a bell up here in New England. I have an old analogue tuner on my clock radio. I will often times find WINS (1010 mHz) when looking for Boston's WBZ (1030 mHz).

Rick
Its amazing how far some signals can travel. Driving through south central PA I've heard a Chicago news/weather/trafic station.

OK, the reservation is made. I got rooms 13 & 14 on the ride south, and the family bedroom on the ride north. Prices quoted on the phone matched Amtrak.com, so no buckets were jumped.

"Julie" was not able to make this rez. I was handed over to the Autotrain folks.

Incidently, they tried to rent me a digiEplayer along with the reservation process. They also told me I need to have my van there by 11:00 am. I hope they have something to entertain my 5 year old with for four hours before boarding (digiEplayer?).

I'm in Boston on Friday and will purchase the tickets at South Station.

Rick

OK, the reservation is made. I got rooms 13 & 14 on the ride south, and the family bedroom on the ride north. Prices quoted on the phone matched Amtrak.com, so no buckets were jumped.
"Julie" was not able to make this rez. I was handed over to the Autotrain folks.

Incidently, they tried to rent me a digiEplayer along with the reservation process. They also told me I need to have my van there by 11:00 am. I hope they have something to entertain my 5 year old with for four hours before boarding (digiEplayer?).

I'm in Boston on Friday and will purchase the tickets at South Station.

Rick
Actually in Lorton, there is a play ground just outside the lobby and there is plenty of space for a 5 year old to run around and for the parents to chase after. I think the digeplayer would be a good idea for all of you. There are children's programs as well as up to date movies, tv shows, etc. Also, you can generally board the train earlier and get your self situated - sometimes as early as 2:30, so you don't really have that much time to kill. Hope you all have fun on the trip.

To save money on digiplayer, why not using laptop computer or buy a DVD player? There's a socket in your first class room to keep the battery in charged. In order to respect your train riders, keep the volume low or using the ear (head) phones.

To save money on digiplayer, why not using laptop computer or buy a DVD player? There's a socket in your first class room to keep the battery in charged. In order to respect your train riders, keep the volume low or using the ear (head) phones.
Actually, you probably could save money, but the digeplayer has so many movies and other items that it would be more trouble to carry along enough variety for your own player. Also, if you have ever traveled with a 5 year old, you want to minimize your carry-on stuff as much as you possibly can.

Actually, you probably could save money, but the digeplayer has so many movies and other items that it would be more trouble to carry along enough variety for your own player. Also, if you have ever traveled with a 5 year old, you want to minimize your carry-on stuff as much as you possibly can.
Thanks for the lively discussion on the digiEplayer. I rented a kid digiEplayer on the SWC last month. Honestly I thought it was the best $30 i'd ever spent. However thinking long term, I can buy a portable DVD player for $100 to $150. With a round trip digiEplayer costing $42.00 It will take three train trips when a portable DVD player pays for itself.

And on the issue of noise, I ALWAYS bring headphones. I forbid my child from bringing a toy my mom bought specifically for the SWC trip becasue it made noise and did not have a headphone jack.

Rick

Amen. There have a number of times on LD trains when completely, totally, insanely out-of-control kids, coupled with their "what, me worry?" parents, who seemed absolutely oblivious to the complete havoc and sheer terror their children were inflicting on everybody in the vicinity, when I have begun wishing for someone with skills in taxidermy.

Rick, you want to teach a parents ethics class. :lol:
Just kidding.

But not really
Maybe it is my experience with the airlines talking here. The ambient noise level in a plane is rather high, and people are jammed together like sardines. Since you cannot set the volume on external speakers on something like a DVD or an MP3 player so that only I can hear it on an airplane, I use headphones.

The ambinet noise level on a train is much lower. I was surprised to see others on the SWC watching moves and listening to CDs without headphones. Nothing was so loud as to be annoying (especially after I slipped my Bose headpones on), but I was still surprised to see folks not using headphones. I thought headphone use was a common courtsey like holding a door open or cleaning up after yourself in the lounge car.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Rick

You have to remember, thoughtfulness, manners, and that sort of thing is a dying thing in this country. The only thing I won't put headphones on with is my radio, and that's only because it doesn't have a headphone jack. I try to put the handset close enough to my ear and the volume low enough that it wont disturb others if I'm in coach. Most people actually appreciate it because I can tell them why we're stopped or going 10 MPH. :lol: Fortunately I don't spend too much time in coach, I'm happier in the lounge thank you very much. B)

I thought headphone use was a common courtsey like holding a door open or cleaning up after yourself in the lounge car.
It's not just a matter of courtsey, you are required to use headphones when in coach or other public areas of the train. So the conductor and/or the car attendant actually does have the right to tell them to put on their headphones or turn off the device.

And unfortunately as Battalion mentioned, the times are a changin and not necessarily for the best. Too many people seem to feel that the rules don't apply to them today.

Amen. There have a number of times on LD trains when completely, totally, insanely out-of-control kids, coupled with their "what, me worry?" parents, who seemed absolutely oblivious to the complete havoc and sheer terror their children were inflicting on everybody in the vicinity, when I have begun wishing for someone with skills in taxidermy.
And I hope I havn't just booked a trip like that in June. :) The Auto Train runs between the major population centers of the Northeast and Central Florida, an area best known for the Houses of Mouse. Haloerider tells me that there is a playground in Lorton, so Amtrak expects a fair number of kids on this train. Kids that are hopped up on Dinsey induced adrealine (sic?).

I'll be contributing to the problem (one five year old), but the parent to kid ratio will be favorable (2:1) and we will keep her on a pretty short leash. Besides, she is much more excited by the prospect of sleeping on the top bunk of the sleeper than going to the Disney parks. Ahhh Daddy's little girl.

I don't think we will have it too bad. We are downstairs on both legs (13 & 14 southbound and the family bedroom north) so the population of passengers should be low. We probably will never see the car attendant, but at least it should be quiet.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back