TIME: Truth About HSR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TIME has an article entitled "The Truth About Obama’s High-Speed Rail Program" which is linked here.

From the article:

Don't believe the New York Times or the train haters who cite it: High-speed rail is not an $11-billion failure.

The New York Times has declared President Barack Obama’s high-speed rail program a failure. “Despite the administration spending nearly $11 billion since 2009 to develop faster passenger trains, the projects have gone mostly nowhere,” America’s paper of record reported Aug. 6—in its news pages, not its opinion section. The story quickly rocketed into Republican talking points and conservative op-eds as fresh evidence of presidential haplessness.

But it’s wrong. The administration hasn’t spent anywhere near $11 billion. The projects haven’t gone mostly nowhere. There are legitimate questions about the high-speed rail initiative—and the administration’s hype has outstripped its ability to deliver in an era of divided government—but the public debate over the program has been almost completely detached from the reality on the ground.

Here’s the real story...
Hit the link above to read the rest....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an absolute shame that this (along with countless other issues) has been turned into a partisan issue.

It's high time that the politics get put aside and politicians to what's right for the country, not their party.

I thought this is a well written article and a very useful rejoinder to the New York Times article.

It would be interesting to see whether NY Times would honestly eat some crow when the other 3/4ths of the money is actually spent and the results are there to see for all. Probably not. They will find something else that is negative to say. Positive things don;t sell as many papers as negative things I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking, maybeeeeee it's time I register as a Republican, and VOTE like a Democrat/Independent/Green. Might take a lot of, er, "patience" but imagine if a millions of Democrat/Independent/Greens did that.

ha.

Back